#1 Edited by Dumptruck05 (79 posts) -

Looking for a 1440p and/or 144hz Monitor any recommendations?

#2 Posted by AlexW00d (7570 posts) -

There aren't many 1440p and 144hz, but there's a few. Asus do one, but I have no idea of the quality. I would assume they're good though.

#3 Posted by mikey87144 (2114 posts) -

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MSOND8C/ref=aw_wl_ov_dp_1_1?colid=2S0U7VUPG9PCU&coliid=I189HNB5R8E774

This is a 144hz 1440p monitor. I like it. Visuals are great and the response time is nice to. There is a slightly cheaper one but I pecked this over the other because of the response time.

#4 Edited by rethla (3725 posts) -

Budget?

You can probably go cheaper than the ASUS if you skip G-sync and you can also go higher if you want better responses/picture/whatever.

Im really enjoying my Acer XB270HU but it kinda screws up all 1080p content (including windows desktop stuff).

#6 Edited by Byshop (8 posts) -

The Asus Rog Swift Acer XB270HU are probably the two best gaming monitors out today. Both will run you about $700-$800 US but they are awesome. The big difference between them is the Asus is a TN panel with thin bezels and Nvidia 3D support while the Acer is an IPS panel, has thicker bezels, and doesn't have 3D support. I have three Rog Swifts and I couldn't be happier with them.

#7 Posted by GnaTSoL (875 posts) -

@byshop said:

The Asus Rog Swift Acer XB270HU are probably the two best gaming monitors out today. Both will run you about $700-$800 US but they are awesome. The big difference between them is the Asus is a TN panel with thin bezels and Nvidia 3D support while the Acer is an IPS panel, has thicker bezels, and doesn't have 3D support. I have three Rog Swifts and I couldn't be happier with them.

damn... That is expensive.

I was personally recently trying to plan out a $1300 pc build with hopes of not going over $1500 but I seem to have forgotten how expensive a good monitor is. lol

Anybody got recommendations for good monitors in the 200 range? Tho, I wonder if such an expensive build will be wasted on a low-end monitor....

Sry, don't mean to hijack. That Rog Swift does indeed look very nice.

#8 Posted by Nime (566 posts) -

@gnatsol: It depends if you want high resolution or high refresh rate. You can't really have both without spending a ton. Which matters more to you will depend on the sorts of games you like to play.

#9 Edited by chrjz (521 posts) -
#10 Posted by Nime (566 posts) -

I actually dislike bigger monitors. 24" 120+hz is where it's at.

#11 Posted by monetarydread (2887 posts) -
#12 Posted by Tyrrael (484 posts) -

@gnatsol said:
@byshop said:

damn... That is expensive.

I was personally recently trying to plan out a $1300 pc build with hopes of not going over $1500 but I seem to have forgotten how expensive a good monitor is. lol

Anybody got recommendations for good monitors in the 200 range? Tho, I wonder if such an expensive build will be wasted on a low-end monitor....

Sry, don't mean to hijack. That Rog Swift does indeed look very nice.

Actually, in the past month, I bought the BenQ RL2460HT, and I love it so far. It's a 60HZ TN panel, but I think the picture is great. I use it for everyday use, as well as some PC gaming (all genres), and I don't really have anything bad to say about it. In fact, I bought and returned the Asus MX259H, because of how bad the picture was (crazy oversaturated with unnatural colors all around). Funny thing is, the MX259H was an IPS panel. It was one of the lesser expensive ones out there, but still, IPS doesn't necessarily mean you're going to like the picture better.

Also, if you're looking for a 120/144 HZ monitor, you're going to be hard pressed to find a really good one for that price. However, if you're ok with 60HZ panels, which I still use and love, then you have many options.

#13 Posted by Byshop (8 posts) -

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-monitors/

Read this link, this is a well written article that explains everything better than I could.

The ultimate recommendation is an Acer XB270HU because:

• 144hz
  • IPS
  • G-Sync
  • 1440p

On paper the Acer is definitely the better monitor. IPS > TN any day, and the 3D feature you lose from the Rog only works on a handful of games, anyway. However, you won't go wrong with either monitor and I picked the Rog Swift over that Acer because of the 6mm bezels since I was planning on running three of them. I had one Rog side by side with two Dell u2711b IPS monitors and the difference between them wasn't nearly as pronounced as I thought it would be because TN panels have gotten a lot better in terms of color and viewing angle than they used to be.

#14 Posted by Loafsmooch (545 posts) -

I recently bought an AOC G2460PQU, it's the cheapest 144hz around here, 200€. It is pretty good for my counter-strike needs but if I had the money I would've bought a BenQ XL2411Z instead because of slightly better responsiveness.

#15 Edited by Viqor (223 posts) -

I got an Acer XG270HU and while it is a TN monitor (worse contrast and viewing angles than an IPS) it actually has very good color accuracy after calibration and looks great while playing games. It's also relatively cheap at about $500 and has freesync if you have an AMD card. If you don't need 144hz, those Korean IPS monitors (I have a Yamasaki Catleap Q270) are much cheaper than that (about $300), look great and some can be overclocked to about 100-120hz if you find the right one (and are a little lucky).

#16 Edited by Nime (566 posts) -

I use a year old BenQ XL2420T and love it. 120hz is godlike (although now 144hz is the standard) and 1080p is all I need. Also it is a TN panel but have found its color accuracy totally fine after a good amount of fiddling with the settings. I use two monitors and the other is an IPS and I actually kind of prefer the TN colors now...

The XL2420T has sadly been replaced by more expensive models though. Not sure I'd shell out for it's successors or if I'd go for something else if I had to get something new.

#17 Posted by Byshop (8 posts) -

@viqor said:

I got an Acer XG270HU and while it is a TN monitor (worse contrast and viewing angles than an IPS) it actually has very good color accuracy after calibration and looks great while playing games. It's also relatively cheap at about $500 and has freesync if you have an AMD card. If you don't need 144hz, those Korean IPS monitors (I have a Yamasaki Catleap Q270) are much cheaper than that (about $300), look great and some can be overclocked to about 100-120hz if you find the right one (and are a little lucky).

Yeah, the gap between TN and IPS panels is nowhere near as large as it once was as the TN panels have been improving.

#18 Edited by peacebrother (759 posts) -

It's stupid pricey, but the Acer XB270HU is unbelievable. 144hz, 1440p, IPS, 4ms response, 27 inches. It's basically a holy grail for gaming.

At 200, you're probably not gonna find 1440/144. Highly recommend reddit's /r/buildapc and /r/monitors for super in depth help, they helped me go from basically zero to building a pc and buying a monitor in no time. I'm not too educated on other monitors though, I went in wanting 144/1440p and didn't want anything less.