Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Poll Are pizzas pies? (558 votes)

True 31%
False 51%
Tralse (on the fence / others) 17%

Recently, while looking at pizza recipes, I've seen some people calling pizza as pies. The connection made between my brain synapses almost blew my mind. Of course, why couldn't I see this before? Is this something I missed as an non-native English speaker? I went on a Google expedition to find a more reliable source on the matter, but I didn't find much concrete information. Some say that the term "pie" is only the quantification of pizzas, but pizzas themselves are not pies. Others say that it depends on the type, with deep-dish definitely being pies. I started doubting myself. What is a pizza? What is a pie?

This is not a bit. I am honestly not even sure what a pie is. I used to think that they have to be covered by crust, but that's obviously not true when I think about it more. Shepherds' pies don't even include pastry! There are also open pies with bread crusts. Are those pizzas?

So, I turn to the Giant Bomb Forums for guidance, since you guys have proven themselves as arbiters of food classification. I see that the term "pizza pies" is already used on the wiki page for pizza itself. Can someone please clear this up for me?

• 
MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

The idea that you have never heard the term "pizza pie" before seems crazy to me. Unless you're not from a native English speaking country?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: Nope, that's why it's very confusing to me at the moment. Years of eating pizzas without ever hearing "pizza" and "pie" in the same sentence.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SleazyWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've struggled with this question all my life. Yes, I guess they are. But if someone tells me "Hey lets get a pie." My first thought is pumpkin or apple, I never assume what they're talking about is pizza.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never heard of Pizza's being referred to as pie's here in sweden, and I myself don't agree with that likeness. There's a very specific difference between a pie and a pizza.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I thought Pizza was Italian for Pie. Not sure though. What I am sure of is that pizzas are pies.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: That was the song used (with different lyrics) in McDonald's TV ads here, when I started hearing people call pizzas as pies! What a strange coincidence!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Isn't that a regional thing?

Immortal_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Immortal_Guy

I'm from the UK, and I've only ever heard pizzas called pies by Americans - no-one does that here.Pizzas have bases and toppings, pies are closed and have pastry (unless we're talking fish pie or shepard's pie, of course). To be honest, a shepard's pie probably has as little to do with a "normal" pie as a pizza pie does. Names are stupid...

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only time I've ever heard them called pies is in the song "That's amore" and even then I think that dude just made it up to make something rhyme with eye.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

Pizza Pie

and with the stuff they do with them in Asia yeah its a pie

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm from the UK, and I've only ever heard pizzas called pies by Americans - no-one does that here.Pizzas have bases and toppings, pies are closed and have pastry (unless we're talking fish pie or shepard's pie, of course). To be honest, a shepard's pie probably has as little to do with a "normal" pie as a pizza pie does. Names are stupid...

But Shepard's, Cottage and Fish Pie all at the least have a covering of mashed potato, whereas pizza has none at all. I've never head the term over here in the UK as you say, we're far more likely to call it pretentious like a 'Stonebaked ciabatta mozzeralla' (which, btw, me and a buddy totally found a frozen one called this, it's now a running joke between us) or something else of that variety.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

even thin crust pizza are considered Pie

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Someone should make a pizza pie. That would be delicious. A pizza enclosed in pastry. Because it's in pastry you could have like tons of toppings on the pizza. Far more than you'd normally have.

Quick, someone teach me how to make pastry. I have to make this a reality.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It's a regional thing. I almost never hear the term pie used in reference to pizza in California unless it's being said by someone from the East Coast.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattyftm: You can just buy premade pie crusts, fill it with pizza goodness.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ares42

Pizza is "bread" with toppings. It's made with a yeast dough. Traditional pie is filling enveloped by shortcrust pastry (or in some cases just mashed potatoes). If anything you could compare Chicago style pizza to pies, but they still use yeast dough which is very different. A pie crust is supposed to be lighty and flaky(which both shortcrust pastry and mashed potatoes are), while a pizza crust is supposed to be more robust and have some "chew" to it.

@mattyftm: It's pretty easy, it's just flour, fat(butter or shortening) and a little bit of water. Good luck picking up a slice of a pizza made with pie crust though =) Might as well just make a meat pie.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Technically yes, although I don't call pizzas pies.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically yes. But i'll still call you an asshole if you call a pizza a pie.

It's like calling a burger a sandwich. Technically i guess it's a sandwich, but don't call it one.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By nightriff

Yes but I don't call it that, pizzas are just pizzas

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While pies are often completely encased in pastry, often it's just a pastry lid. Also, considering the potato covered Shepherd's Pie ( and similar others) are also considered pies, this means that a pie must have a substantial lid / topping of some sort.

Therefore, pizzas are upside down pies.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in New York, and everyone calls them pies. That said, they aren't actually, "pies" that's just what they're called. Kinda like a Koala Bear isn't actually a bear, it's just a name.

When you go to a pizzeria in New York you say, "Can I get a regular pie, another pie, half-pepperoni, and a calzone."

Pie is probably used more often than pizza I'd say. Most people here actually don't say, "Can I get a large cheese pizza" like in the ninja turtles movies.

My source? I worked in a pizzeria for 7 years.

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By OldGuy

For those of you squawking about "pies must have lids" I present to you the Pecan Pie:

No Caption Provided

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By GaspoweR

@mooseymcman said:
Loading Video...

@audiobusting:

When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie

THAT'S AMORE...

MOTHERFUCKERS :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pie?s=t

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pizza?s=t

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly false? What is wrong with you savages. Just because it doesn't have fruit filling doesn't mean it's not a pie.

I'm not sure all pizzas are pies though. Chicago style is maybe more like a cake? I'd take a pizza cobbler as well.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

divergence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By divergence

I could see deep dish pizza's being "pies" but the classic pizza is more like an open face sandwich to me.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jesus_Phish
veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30  Edited By veektarius

@counterclockwork87 said:

I live in New York, and everyone calls them pies. That said, they aren't actually, "pies" that's just what they're called. Kinda like a Koala Bear isn't actually a bear, it's just a name.

When you go to a pizzeria in New York you say, "Can I get a regular pie, another pie, half-pepperoni, and a calzone."

Pie is probably used more often than pizza I'd say. Most people here actually don't say, "Can I get a large cheese pizza" like in the ninja turtles movies.

This is true. When I moved to the NYC area I had to adapt to new pizza parlance. I think my understanding of the distinction is this: in New Yorkese, there is no such thing as 'a pizza'. Pizza is non-quantified noun, like water. A pie is the shape the pizza comes in. A pizza pie is basically a 'pie of pizza', sort of like you'd ask for a 'bottle of water'. So if you order a pizza, a lot of parlors will clarify that you want a whole pie. Additionally, in New York, there is no such thing as a 'piece of pizza', there are only slices. I had a colleague (also new to the area) order a 'piece of cheese' at a pizza place and they gave her a Kraft single.

EDIT: I should also clarify that her order was wrong in two ways, because there is also no such thing as cheese pizza in New York. It is known as 'Regular' or 'Plain'. So the correct order would be "Give me a regular slice"

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pizza is totally a pie, how is it losing the poll?

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pretty sure it's just nomenclature.

Just like how here in New England we have grinders (or subs), but in Pittsburgh they are known as hoagies.

And in Westchester County, NY they are called wedges.

You guys probably know them as SANDWICHES.

wsninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If someone said "Hey lets go out for a pie" I'd say "Ok lets get apple pie." Not "Ok I'm up for a 'roni 'za!"

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sergio

Only if you say it in a bad Italian accent.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@counterclockwork87 said:

This is true. When I moved to the NYC area I had to adapt to new pizza parlance. I think my understanding of the distinction is this: in New Yorkese, there is no such thing as 'a pizza'. Pizza is non-quantified noun, like water. A pie is the shape the pizza comes in. A pizza pie is basically a 'pie of pizza', sort of like you'd ask for a 'bottle of water'. So if you order a pizza, a lot of parlors will clarify that you want a whole pie. Additionally, in New York, there is no such thing as a 'piece of pizza', there are only slices. I had a colleague (also new to the area) order a 'piece of cheese' at a pizza place and they gave her a Kraft single.

Perhaps I'm just too bored, but I found this pretty funny.

I'm OK with pizzas technically being pies, I'm just not OK with calling a pizza a pie on a regular basis.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By AlexW00d

How is this even a question? A pie is made from pastry*. A pizza is made with 'bread'. Even a simpleton knows this.

(Sheperd'ss pie etc aren't truly pies either)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Pies by definition have a flaky buttery/lard/suet pastry dough crusts. Pizza is closer to a bread dough which is water, flour, yeast, salt...ex: Neapolitan pizza is made from a lean dough—no oil, no sugar, nothing else. NYC pizza is Neapolitan with some olive oil and a tiny amount of sugar to give the yeast more to eat...thus puffer and more bread like in texture. Sicilian-Style Dough more oil, a bit thinner/wetter, and often cooked in a pan drenched in more olive oil so the bottom is practically fried.

Pie and pizza have very little in common...just weird use of common English.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Pizzas are not pies. But the term "Pizza Pie" is acceptable because it's delightful and charming. And because Dean Martin.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By oldenglishc

I think the bigger question is why is cheese cake, which is clearly built on top of a crust, not referred to as cheese pie?

ChrisHarris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChrisHarris

The main characteristic of a pie is that the base is raised at the edges to contain the filling(s). If it doesn't have a wall, it is not a pie. I don't care if all of the other conditions are met. A deep dish pizza could be considered a pie, but not a thin crust pizza. A pie has fillings; a thin crust pizza has toppings.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By frymillstrum

I feel like I either heard this being discussed on the Bombcast before or at least I feel like they definitely have talked about this in a podcast I may not have heard yet...

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I voted Tralse, obviously but the real answer is No.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I demand pizza justice for pizza pies!

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a place in Dallas called Fireside Pies, and it's just an upscale pizza restaurant where older folks, trying to cling onto lost coolness, go to eat. Hope that helps.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some pizzas are pies. Not all.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldguy said:

For those of you squawking about "pies must have lids" I present to you the Pecan Pie:

No Caption Provided

Squawk. That's a flan.

Just kidding, open top pies are a real thing.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldguy said:

No Caption Provided

Indeed. Likewise for Pumpkin pie. Seldom do pumpkin pies have lids.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I hear old dudes order "two pies with pepperoni and sausage" occasionally.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I think pizza requires having some sort of underlying sauce. Whether that be tomato sauce or chocolate for a desert pizza or something, it's something that is spread on the base with possibly other ingredients on top. Pies have more of a solid or mushing filling (pumpkin pie and pecan for example).

Therefore, I dictate pizzas are in fact NOT pies. Pizzas are pizzas and pies are pies.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GiantLizardKing

@jesus_phish: Excellent. You have a pizza cobbler? Love pizza. Love cobblers.