Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

How’s this game coming along on Xbox?

YEAHbrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey all!

I really want to play this, but don’t have a PC. What’s the status of this game on Xbox right now? I know it launched with some performance issues, but have been keeping up with the patch notes. Is it at a decent enough state now? Or should I continue to wait for further optimization? Thanks y’all!

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It’s still pretty bad. You can certainly have fun with it if you’re willing to put up with the problems, I personally am (and I just got my first chicken dinner which make me biased), but the game is in a barely acceptable state.

Framerate is nowhere near a 30 fps lock, even after the first few minutes. The map takes forever to load meaning the first few minutes are often played in textureless environment with no visible furniture (that will still stop you). I had 3 crashes in 6 games and there’s random bugs aplenty.

I’d say you’re better off waiting if you want a relatively stable game.

Sambambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It’s still pretty bad. You can certainly have fun with it if you’re willing to put up with the problems, I personally am (and I just got my first chicken dinner which make me biased), but the game is in a barely acceptable state.

Framerate is nowhere near a 30 fps lock, even after the first few minutes. The map takes forever to load meaning the first few minutes are often played in textureless environment with no visible furniture (that will still stop you). I had 3 crashes in 6 games and there’s random bugs aplenty.

I’d say you’re better off waiting if you want a relatively stable game.

Are you on a normal or an X?

I am on an X right now, and getting none of what you say.

It is a pretty stable 30, with a bit of rubberbanding at the beginning.

I think it still needs some work (60 fps on X if possible, better console controls (feels like no alterations were made from the mouse), but it is relatively stable right now.

DarlingDixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DarlingDixie

Even if they fix the input lag and fps, it's still PUBG on a pad which is inherently obtuse.

I would wait but I don't think it's going to be good on consoles until they make the game more friendly for both the limited amount of buttons and the analog sticks that offer much less precision than mice - this game is an ARMA mod with no aim assist, tricky shooting and lots of double mapped functions.

I don't think 60 FPS will ever happen. The CPUs in the PS4 Pro and One X are based on old architecture that wasn't even very good when it first came out (AMD Jaguar). The architecture is so dated that even the lowest end Pentium CPUs on PC can run Destiny 2 at 60 FPS but the consoles can't.

I'm really enjoying my PS4 Pro but they should have upgraded the CPU instead of clocking it up.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@supersambo: regular xbox. My friend has an X and it does hold up better, though he also got crashes (not as many as me, so I guess the performance has something to do with it).

I wouldn’t think that they’d do 60 on X even if they could, it would mean a part of the userbase is at a disadvantage. On PC it is expected, but on a console I don’t think it’s worth it.

Unlike some I don’t mind the controller because everyone is playing with the same anyway. The controls are a bit more complicated than a regular shooter but they work fine. It does mean that long distance is not as effective though, if you care about that stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

In its current state it is somewhere between bad and terrible. But the concept is there and still fun. If you are skeptical at all I would wait.

EDIT for @fear_the_booboo and @supersambo: We have both an X and a base model in the house. The game runs better on the X for sure. Geometry loads more quickly and, generally, the framerate holds. Still a lot of server-side problems, though. Input lag and network drops. We've experienced roughly the same number of crashes on both--though, markedly less after this most recent patch.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How does it run on an S? I’ve only heard about how it runs on a normal One and an X.

YEAHbrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank you all!

I’ve just got a regular ole Xbox One, so this definitely sounds like a wait-to-never situation. I think I wouldn’t mind learning some obtuse controls, but the performance stuff sounds pretty icky.

I appreciate all the responses though - GB community always comes through!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

How does it run on an S? I’ve only heard about how it runs on a normal One and an X.

For all intents and purposes an Xbox One S runs the game about as well as the base hardware.

Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@meaninoflife42: if you’ve read my comments earlier know that I’m playing on an S. I assumed S and normal xbox would run the same. It might be worse on a regular, that’d be straight awful though.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As someone who has watched a TON of PUBG on PC but has never actually played it until it came out on Xbox, I've been having a great time.

The pop-in and frame rate issues are glaring, but they have been gradually improving in recent patches. Your mileage will depend largely on how much you value a rock-solid fps counter. It doesn't bother me that much. I'm also playing on an Xbox One S.

I think they've done a pretty commendable job at adapting the controls to a gamepad. Inventory management especially was just never going to be as straightforward as KB+M, but after a bit of a learning curve it's fine.

The main thing for me is having a group of people to play it with. I've had fun solo, but the most memorable matches for me have been with my friends in party chat.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@fram: I was in a similar boat to you, in that I'd seen a little of it on PC and then started with the Xbox version (on an Xbox One X if that matters) at the start of the year and had an absolute great time

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I hadn’t watched any gameplay at all, PC or Xbone, just heard about it from the Duders on Bomb/Beastcast as well as word of mouth from my gaming buddy who picked it up a few weeks back. I ended up deciding to jump on it because buddy got it. I’m playing on an S. It isn’t great, there are definitely some issues, but I’ve been having an absolute blast playing it. We haven’t gotten a chicken dinner yet and the best 2-Man squad rank has been 11 (I couldn’t figure out how to get off my motorcycle and drew attention toward me while the zone was shrinking rapidly) but I’m still having a blast playing it with my friend. I’m often amused by the glitches, the worst I usually get is when my buddy is wearing a helmet the hair asset will float three feet above his head.

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By thepullquotes

I know someone who has played it almost every night since the Xbox release, he's playing on the launch xbox. He had the trifecta of dinners within a week.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Definetely improving steadily. I'm having a lot of fun with it. I still haven't won yet though, I made it to the second place (solo) twice. I'm glad they put in First Person only mode, definetely my favourite. The game is still missing the replay/death-cam feature, which is a shame, and the second map.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I walked into a blurry mess of textures and got stuck in wall, so not great. It still performs badly too. It's fun though, if overpriced.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I think the performance has been getting better since launch. The texture loading and geometry loading in at the beginning of the match are still pretty rough. But I think it's still fun and the controls have been mapped nicely to the controller.

Also turning off the DVR function on your xbone definitely helps.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing for about a month now. It's super fun. Low frame rate and all. Been mostly playing it on the X but I've been also checking out on my friends S.

They've been updating it regularly. Pushing patches out. Stabilizing it. It's one of those janky frame rate problem games that have given me the most exciting, heart pounding experiences I've ever had. Period.

Don't know exactly what the PC version is like but I know this one is behind that one. Considerably. So don't come in here expecting the desert map or even some of the features that the PC has. Whatever they are. Kill cams?

It's got the vaulting though. Squad mode, 3rd person, 1st person playlists. All of it. So it can't be that far behind the PC version.

Great game though. After every death, it's slowly climbing the ladder of the favourite games ever.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By pweidman

It's gotten better and the xbox team is working hard to keep improving the performance, 6 patches already.

Latest notes from yesterday:

“Thank you for your continued support and feedback. We have a new patch for you that will go live at 01:00AM PST / 10:00AM CET. Here are the release notes for Xbox Patch 6:

Gameplay

Auto-run function has been added (from a standstill, double clicking L3 will activate auto-run)

Players can now drop equipped weapons with Y button when inventory screen is active

Grenades can once again be cycled by tapping right on D pad

Players can now cancel casting actions while the inventory screen is active

Optimization

· Continued optimizations and crash fixes

Option

· Game controller guide has been updated

Bug fixes

· Buildings around the Military Base have had their collision adjusted

· Camera shake when riding as a passenger in vehicles has been reduced

· Inventory character models have returned to their normal stance

· Fixed a camera issue created by unintended Aim Down Sights and Free Look interactions

· “A” button will no longer refresh game results screen

· Team UI will now correctly show the proper direction teammates are facing over larger distances

· Player changes to markers on the in-game map will now be properly applied to their teammate's in-game map

· Fixed an issue where switching to throwables under certain conditions left the player empty-handed

· Adjusted character positioning when exiting vehicles and parachutes”

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By tds418

I'm having a lot of fun with it. If you're sold on the concept I'd say go ahead and jump in. Definitely performance issues and some jank but they're patching it frequently and it's playable. I'm playing on a base One.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

So there I am, having a bit of a hard run, bad luck on the circles so I have to play catch up most of the time, resulting in me having some armor but only one rifle. Violence happens, I get some kills but I'm forced to leave the area, I'm on the run. Then a crate drops very very near me and I decide to go for it. There are two engine sounds incoming, louder and louder, from two different sides. I hit the ground near the crate, but one of the drivers must have seen me, tries to run me over, misses by inches and hits the crate head on. One burst from my rifle, he is dead, body slowly drifting away inside the buggy, clipping all funny-like. The other engine sound's still getting louder, I grab a level three helmet and the all powerfull sniper rifle with an 8x scope, then I panic, hop in the buggy and drive away, being shot at from God knows where, but I make it. My luck is turning over.

I stop in a nearby field, with a goal of sorting out my inventory, patching my wounds. With the buggy man I now have three kills, the rush is on. Patching my wounds. Trying to load the rifle but I have no bulets, guess the sniper uses some other ammo, I carry most types but none fit. I only had this rifle once before. My precious loot: useless. No time to worry about it. Switching back to my burst army rifle, it will have to do - at least I carry over two hunred bullets for that one. No grenades either, the rifle it is then, a pistol as an backup. The circle is closing yet again, gotta get on the move.

I drive the buggy right to the centre, the rifle only has a red dot sight, the scope won't fit. I am thinking with no scope I don't want to adwance from the edge, better take my chances close quartes. While I'm driving, the others thin themselves out. Looks like a small settlement will be the final area. Doors are closed, I must be the first one here. I consider checking for more loot inside, but then I see a nice bush right outside the fence of the buildings. I crouch inside it, nice view on two doors, I got that covered. The bush is in the shade as well, I am thinking with a good next circle centre, this might be a good spot. Some more violence in the distance, kill log reduces the number of survivors to 5. It's the second to last circle now, it only envelops the two buildings I am looking at and a patch of grass, I am dead center. I go prone, trying to make the others go for one another, hoping for the number in the corner to go down without me interfering. Shots fired, a fellow hunter gives away his position - he has no idea I am so near. I change my mind and let the devil out. Two bursts, he's dead. Hearth is pounding. Five seconds later a guy runs to one of the doors, assuming someone is inside. A couple of bursts, he jumps and tries to find me as I spray - and I am spraying, because I am on the controller of course. He goes down. I am still prone, in the bush, making so much noise but near invisible. A moment later another hunter runs along the fence from the other side, attracted by the violence that just coloured the soil red. He meets the same fate. It was not a clean kill, he had armor, I missed some shots again, but he finally goes down, spraying in my general direction.

It's just two of us now. Final circle forms.

It's very small now, but I am still in it, I don't have to move! RNG is finally giving me a break.

I hear granades landing on both sides of me, first two blunt pops of stun grenades, but they are random, they don't hit me. Then a loud blast a few metres behind me, a frag takes me down below 25%. I don't see the hunter, I am pretty sure he doesn't see me either. We are on a FPP server, none of us dares to crouch and expose himself. Looking through the grass. I use a full heal, calming a bit. The timer stops at "1" for a long time, the map only shows a blue circle now, the one that closes to nothingness. We play the waiting game, nothing happens for what felt like a very long while.

Then the blue starts to move. He loses his temper and runs in my view. I pull the trigger, I miss most of my shots, but I also see the red mist popping off in the air. He shoots back. This is it, this is the make or break moment. And then...networ lag, and icon blinks. Shit. Two seconds later the time skips forward as the game syncs back up. I am suddenly behind the blue line. I don't even have time to stand up, I die outside the player zone. Second place with 6 kills. The god of Early Access is to blame. Still, I won't forget this one.

I will make it one day. This was my third time in second place, I got robbed by the universe.

There are some issues, but there is also a lot of fun to be had!

DoctorTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Just a heads up, anyone who has purchased PUBG or purchases it by 1/31 on the Xbone will get 30,000 BP, to be deposited after 2/1.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's still pretty rough, although that may be down to my Day 1 Xbox One. They are definitely working hard on improvements though and it does run significantly better now than when it first went into game preview. I must admit I do find the shooting very difficult on the xbox version compared to the pc. It's so framey it's kinda hard to snap onto people, especially at distance.

If you're dying for a PUBG fix, or if you know you're going to buy it anyway then you might as well jump in now, just prepare yourself for some severe frame rates and frustrating deaths!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.