Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PUBG: Battlegrounds

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Mar 23, 2017

A survival-shooter led by the modder behind the Battle Royale mods for the ArmA series. It is one of the progenitors of the "battle royale" sub-genre, pitting 100 players in a large empty location where they must scavenge for weapons and fight to the death.

Would you want to play a MGS5 versions of PUBG?

omelettefists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you want to play a MGS5 versions of PUBG? (275 votes)

Yes 60%
    No 8%
    Fuck Konami 32%
     • 
    Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

What? I feel like this post needs a lot more detail.

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a second the PUBG concept with MGS5 gameplay would be incredible.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By damodar

The poll should have allowed for multiple choices so that I could pick both yes and fuck konami.

But yeah, I had the same thought while watching the latest outing to murder island. It would be great if that type of game had all the movement/traversal mechanics in MGSV with all the great prone options (diving into prone, rolling sideways, rolling onto your back and being able to move around that way etc) and the mantling and climbing.

THAT's what Metal Gear Survive should be, they've even already got a fitting name.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By BisonHero

@damodar: Yeah, PUBG would be such a better game if it had climbing/mantling that wasn't complete dogshit. Some of the small objects that you can't jump over are ridiculous. I'd be fine with them never improving the crummy, repetitive building interiors and they don't need to expand the weapon selection, but they really need to improve the movement and overall feel of the game so it's less sluggish and awkward. But I'm guessing that revamping how all the player collision with the environment works is a bunch of work, so I expect they'll just keep slapping new weapons and items into the game instead of improving the overall framework of the game. Not trying to rag on the studio, I just doubt they have the resources to do a big overhaul of the fundamental controls of the game, and it's easier to just balance some new guns.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd play an MGS V version of just about anything.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering my biggest gripe with PUBG is terrible performance, ugly visuals and bad input delay yes yes I would like an MGSV version.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if it was called Metal Gear Survive?

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do you remember the part of MGSV where the tiniest slope made Snake slide off and spaz out?

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Haven't played battlegrounds, but it seems like it's already heavily influenced by mgsv when it comes to gameplay.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By FLStyle

What the fuck is PUBG?

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omelettefists

Dude, this is something I didn't know I needed until I saw your post. I don't think I'll ever be able to look a PUBG the same again.
    This is an excellent idea.

@flstyle

It's Battlegrounds.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12 chaser324  Moderator

PUBG would be such a better game if it had climbing/mantling that wasn't complete dogshit.

I'd give anything to be able to consistently jump over a one foot high barrier in PUBG. It's so damn frustrating and inconsistent right now.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AlvaroFAraujo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would actually be on board with Battlegrounds being on MGSV engine. The devs could make use of the stables spread across the island, by granting players the possibility of riding horses. But since Konami owns the FOXHOUND engine. I want them far away from this franchise. Because even if the game was bad, they would sell a but load of copies, and i can't trust Konami anymore. They f** two of my original franchises that made me by a Playstation (PES and MGS)

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By betterley
    barkerisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe not with the MGSV theme but in the Foxhound engine, sure!

I could imagine Konami fortunately jumping onto this cash cow as well...

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

i was playing GR Wildlands and that map would lend itself extremely well to a PUBG style mode. i figure the big limitation of any game being able to do that mode effectively is the player count they allow for

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While we're comparing MGSV to things, do you ever wonder what MGSV would be like if they had made it slightly more like Breath of the Wild?

Hear me out. Both MGS and Zelda were previously more linear, more story-focused, with a set order that you went through the dungeons/areas. Both series moved away from that, to offer a big open world where you can approach objectives from multiple angles, only putting custom scripting in certain key story encounters while most other encounters are just "assault this enemy camp however you like". Both games put a greater emphasis on resource gathering and upgrading and customizing the clothing/tools you bring to a given encounter.

The big difference I see is that MGSV doesn't really give you a reason to stay in the world, as you drop in and then extract out. I think it would've been interesting if you didn't have to extract back to Mother Base all the time, and could've just spent more time traveling from area to area by foot/horse/vehicle, and really feel invested in learning the ins and outs of the environment, and finding whatever the MGSV equivalent to Korok seeds and chests would be. As it was, MGSV's open world just felt kinda lifeless since you didn't have a compelling reason to explore it beyond the objectives the game points you at, but having now played Breath of the Wild which also went for a more open-ended interpretation of its series, I can't help but wish that MGSV had made similar decisions.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

Absolutely. The survival concept of PUBG is cool but I haven't got much truck with that gameplay, personally. I would totally play a version of it using the Metal Gear Solid V mechanics & systems, though.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No because i don't like those kind of games.

And to be honest all the hype arounds PUBG isn't helping.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yes but also fuck Konami.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, next question

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pre patches MGO was superior to Battlegrounds, 20-30 min comm control rounds; but I'd still be down for more MGO in any form where the playerbase didn't die out immediately:

Loading Video...

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played this game but i really didn't care for MGSV in multiplayer, gameplay was great for single player though.

TracerX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By TracerX

I was thinking about this the other day and yes, 100% absolutely.

I think part of the problem with MGSV's multiplayer was it was too fast-paced for the stealth focused control scheme to handle. Something more methodical like Battlegrounds would be great for it.

Aaaand now I have to sit here in the knowledge that this amazing idea will never exist. Fuck.

omelettefists

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would wacky walk my way through this game.

One can only dream I guess...

greks224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, this was my first thought when falling in love with PUBG. If the movement/shooting controls were as fluid as MGSV's, that would be incredible. The animation system would have to be drastically updated I would assume, MGSV has some of the best action game animations I've ever played with an amazing balance between Japanese style-detail and Western-style snappiness.

Performance improvements would also go a huge way, of course.

Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
    OpusOfTheMagnum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OpusOfTheMagnum

@bisonhero: I strongly dosagree actually. I spent hours and hours running reconnaissance in that game, learning the terrain and the enemy. I would scope out the greater area around missions to form a full plan from insertion to extraction, I would use hit and run tactics to see how enemy forces reacted to different things. I poked at them to see what they were good at reacting towards and what they were not. What happens if i plant a booby trap for a soldier on one side of town? What if I hole up nearby or rig the body, or skirt around in the ensuing reaction to contact?

It was just a different kind of sandbox, but I spent more time doing that then playing missions.

That being said I think MGS5 was special for reasons beyond the movement and handling. I think PUBG is different enough to require a different approach.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.