Do You Put Your PS4 into Standby, or Full Shutdown?

• 81 results
RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll Do You Put Your PS4 into Standby, or Full Shutdown? (420 votes)

Standby 59%
Full Shutdown 40%

I recently got a ps4 and there's a new feature that lets you put your console in a low power state that is easier to come back to. But I'm so used to shutting my consoles down completely that I do the same thing with the ps4. So which one do you do? What are the pros/cons of using the standby feature?

• 
Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Full shutdown, because otherwise there's that obnoxious orange light bar in my peripheral all the time.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Jesus_Phish

I do standby because I use my Vita to remote play the PS4 and you need to leave it in standby for that to work. Also when I'm out or at work and a game is released I can buy it online and tell my PS4 to download it so it's ready for when I get home. Finally it also allows you to download updates for games and system software while in standby and charge the controller

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Standby so it'll charge my controller. I also use it to charge iPods/iPhones.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Standby, because I can charge the controller always when its off. And it boots up in 5 seconds. Plus it downloads all the updates while in standby with out me needing to do anything. Even system updates.

Those of you turning it all the way off are doing it wrong, yo.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standby for the purpose of getting updates and patches.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Standby to charge my controllers, and "theoretically" download updates, even though those don't seem to actually happen until after I turn it back on.

Also, I like the orange light.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By conmulligan

I occasionally leave it standby so it can update in the background, but most of the time I'll power it off fully. I always leave my Xbox One in standby because holy shit that thing takes forever to boot up.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

For some reason standby seems like the type of thing that will cause the console to wear out faster, since it's never truly off. That's my main concern with it. Kind of wish the ps4 had the ps3 feature that lets you set a time for the console to automatically turn on and get updates. That's how I would prefer to do it.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By mikey87144

Standby so it does the updates. I wish it would install the updates to but you take what you can get on console.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By a_e_martin

Full shutdown, to save power and keep my console healthy. I also unplug it when I'm done using it for the day. Same for all consoles, and most of my other electronic appliances, in fact.

thebrainninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I turn it off all the way, because I hear the fan running in standby and it bothers me. Same with the Xbox One, it makes just enough noise to where I notice it, which kills the whole thing. If I didn't have all my consoles in my bedroom, maybe this wouldn't be a problem.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Standby in most cases, occasionally shut down if it is acting weird. Every now and again it will just continue to try and eject a disc. Weird.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By crusader8463

Standby so it can download updates automatically so that when I finally get around to playing something on my consoles I don't have to wait an hour or two for everything to update/install before I can play. I also use the two USB ports in the front to keep my PS4 and WiiU Pro controller charging.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Full shutdown. I've always done that with my electronics. Even with my Pc. My motto is if I'm not using it it shouldn't be on.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full shutdown at the end of the day or before work. Standby if I think I'm going to use it within the next couple hours. If I know there's a system update coming up, I'll leave it in standby. Although it doesn't seem to apply the update until you turn it on anyway.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use my ps4 as a charging station, so it's gonna be on Standby 9 times outta 10.

HarlechQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually "Full Shutdown". "Standby" only after buying games digitally.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Marcsman

Full Shutdown 98% of the time

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Full shutdown, but that's mostly because I usually throw on a TV show to fall asleep to and I never turned off the auto-shutdown after 4 hours of being idle.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standby if I want to charge my controller, full shutdown otherwise.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Seppli

Am I the only one who keeps his PS4 on stand-by, but doesn't get the benefit of automatic downloads and whatnot, despite having PS Plus and all this stuff enabled in the system options?

Haven't shut down the console a single time since I got it on day 1. Maybe I'll have to do that for the settings to take effect?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

Am I the only one who keeps his PS4 on stand-by, but doesn't get the benefit of automatic downloads and whatnot, despite having PS Plus and all this stuff enabled in the system options?

I always get updates, but it doesn't apply them until you turn the system on, which is good.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do both, stand by if I know I'll play it soon again or charge controller and some nights per week just to make sure updates get fixed. But for extended periods away I do a full shut down. But that all amounts to pretty much 50/50.

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

@seppli: Yeah I thought it was supposed to download game updates while its in standby? Whenever I turn it on it starts downloading them

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I'm taking a couple hours break: standby. If I'm sure I won't be using it for several days or if it's time for bed I'll shut it down.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli: Yeah I thought it was supposed to download game updates while its in standby? Whenever I turn it on it starts downloading them

Yeah, that's exactly how it behaves for me too. Apparently that's not the case for everyone. Odd, since the feature works just fine on my PS3, so I can't imagine the issue being on the service side of things. Wonder what this is all about.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shutdown, because fan.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sure, I can spare a few seconds every time I want to turn my PS4 on, saving an alright bit of electricity while at it, and also eliminating that very audible for my fine-ass ears fan.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zirilius

@seppli said:

@mechakirby said:

Yeah, that's exactly how it behaves for me too. Apparently that's not the case for everyone. Odd, since the feature works just fine on my PS3, so I can't imagine the issue being on the service side of things. Wonder what this is all about.

I run my system in stand by mode. Updates always take affect and with the exception of my digital purchase of Tomb Raider everything has downloaded as soon as I have made purchases through their website. The one thing I did notice was that if you don't manually go to your download list on the store and say download to PS4 it won't start downloading until you turn your PS on.

No Caption Provided

Its pretty stupid but I'd rather spend the extra 30 seconds and do that then have to wait for the game to download once I get home.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I don't like leaving game systems on if I'm not using them. I can wait the time it takes to boot one up--I'm not that impatient.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By syz

Standby because a couple of times I've started it up and had no sound after a full shut down.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#32 riostarwind  Moderator

I only put it on standby if I know that it will be downloading a game I bought. Otherwise I turn it all the way off.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

I don't get enough use out of my PS4 to put it in standby. And even if I did, the fan is loud enough that I'd still turn it off.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Seikenfreak

Stand-by so it can download patches and charge controllers and, I assume, start up faster. Also remote play and those sort of features even though I don't use them that often.. yet.

PS3 (original 60gig) is also on "stand-by" per say. I'm not flicking the power switch off in the back. Been that way since I got it new and still runs like a champ. It turns itself on every day at 5 am and downloads patches, firmware updates, uploads recent save data to cloud etc. Great feature.

Vanick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Vanick

I shut it down most of the time unless I know I'm going to be using it again shortly.

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

Shutdown. I don't like leaving it on all the time, even if it's only sort of half-on.

Also, I've noticed some weird issue where if I leave it on standby, and have changed inputs, then when I go back to the console, the TV doesn't recognize that the console is on.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Seppli

@zirilius said:

@seppli said:

@mechakirby said:

I run my system in stand by mode. Updates always take affect and with the exception of my digital purchase of Tomb Raider everything has downloaded as soon as I have made purchases through their website. The one thing I did notice was that if you don't manually go to your download list on the store and say download to PS4 it won't start downloading until you turn your PS on.

Its pretty stupid but I'd rather spend the extra 30 seconds and do that then have to wait for the game to download once I get home.

I'm talking game updates. On PS3, as a PS+ subscriber, games patch overnight. Every morning at around 5 AM, my PS3 turns on and checks for updates, and if there are savefiles to be uploaded. It then proceeds to update everything. Supposedly the PS4 should do the same thing. However, it currently doesn't for me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@nodima said:

Standby so it'll charge my controller. I also use it to charge iPods/iPhones.

^^^^This

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Standby, but it's a bit annoying since it'll often not output any audio to my TV unless I turn the TV on before I resume from standby. I guess it has trouble with HDMI connections if the device is off when it wakes from standby, which is annoying.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

full shut down. The Xbox One and the PS4 are real power hogs.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By UitDeToekomst

Full shut down. Call me weird or old-fashioned, but I have never trusted leaving things on-but-not-quite-all-the-way-on, and am never so pressed for time that I need a game console to boot up a minute or so faster.

McHampton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: I've never once put my PS4 on standby and I get that lack-of-audio situation often.

So, I need to be sure I turn on the TV before the console you say...

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Standby only if I'm downloading something right before bed or before I go out or something. Otherwise I think it saves energy (even if a little) to full shut down?

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@seppli said:

@zirilius said:

@seppli said:

@mechakirby said:

I'm talking game updates. On PS3, as a PS+ subscriber, games patch overnight. Every morning at around 5 AM, my PS3 turns on and checks for updates, and if there are savefiles to be uploaded. It then proceeds to update everything. Supposedly the PS4 should do the same thing. However, it currently doesn't for me.

Yeah its kinda random for me also. Most of the time its works perfectly, but there are some times where it patches a few games when i turn it on. I think the PS3 only updated the last 5 or so games you played with that feature, i wounder if there is some sort of limit like that on the PS4.

Edit: Also its worth double checking your settings just in case. Make sure it is set to allow for internet in stand by more, otherwise it wont upload or download anything.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After losing 3 xbox 360's to overheating in Highschool I live in perpetual fear of a console malfunction, so I usually close application and then shut it down. I've actually been using the micro-usb I use for my Galaxy s4 to charge the controller when it's running low.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Sterling

For those mentioning they turn it off to cut out the fan noise, you must have faulty fans. I've never once heard the fan in my PS4.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: Maybe you're deaf. Ever think of that?

I don't have a PS4. Is there some reason a person wouldn't keep it in standby? That just seems the most logical thing to do, assuming you don't care about the increased energy bill.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sterling: That's what I was thinking. My PS4 is always on standby and I can't hear the fan unless my ear is a few inches away from the thing.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stand-by so it can download patches and charge controllers and, I assume, start up faster. Also remote play and those sort of features even though I don't use them that often.. yet.

PS3 (original 60gig) is also on "stand-by" per say. I'm not flicking the power switch off in the back. Been that way since I got it new and still runs like a champ. It turns itself on every day at 5 am and downloads patches, firmware updates, uploads recent save data to cloud etc. Great feature.

That button in the back controls the power supply. Flipping that switch means you're cutting power from the entire console, which is bad if it's still on (can majorly fuck up the disc drive/blu ray laser/hard drive). You might as well be unplugging the console when you switch it off that way.

The front button is just a regular power off button that properly shuts down the console, not anything like the standby feature on the ps4.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Standby...occasionally I'll turn it off, as I have the random notion that doing a full boot every once in a while is good for it.