How does the PS4 hold up so far for you guys???

• 129 results
Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have a PS4, and while I'm not as disappointed in it as I was when I first got it, it still has some stupid problems that seem to be cropping up. First, the UI is a clunky mess that needs to be completely redesigned. I know some people don't have too much of a problem with it, but in my opinion, it's garbage. Something that just happened yesterday also showed me that the update system for games is somewhat...well...broken in a way. I have Killzone: SF, and since I have it, it automatically queues up updates for it. That's fine, or so I thought. I queues them up and downloads the updates, but it won't install them unless the disc is in the tray. Ummm...WTF?! So, I get the disc, put it in the tray, and click on the update in the queue. It says the download is still going, even though I know it has already downloaded. So, I delete it, it redownloads and finally installs. This may not seem like much of a problem, but think if I had 10 or 20 games or more to update, as opposed to the two I currently have. This could potentially take hours, since it doesn't allow you to just install the games after they download. It, for some reason, has to redownload, because it doesn't register them as being finished, since they failed because the disc wasn't in the tray. Also, as far as I can tell, there's no way to pause certain updates. So, if I have 10 updates going, they're each going to use 1/10th of my bandwidth, even for games I may not intend to play right away. And especially since they won't install anyway, until the disc is in the tray. The should either, a) make it so the downloads can be paused and installed without the discs in the tray, or b) do it like the PS3 where, when you put a disc in, it would prompt you to install the updates if there were any. I would prefer that over this broken mess.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I haven't touched it for over a couple weeks now. There's nothing to play on it, and it's extremely mediocre as a media player, since there's no remote for it and i still have my PS3.

Still glad to have it, though. Things will pick up soon.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw it bleeding the other day and I asked it what was wrong and it said "Don't worry, that's just my excess potential."

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54  Edited By Seppli

@sonicrift said:

I thought for sure I'd buy Battlefield 4 for the thing, but it's so broken I didn't bother. My fiancee's playing New Vegas on PS3 right now, I'm playing a ton of NHL 14 (probably more than I've played a hockey game since NHL 96) and I got Wind Waker HD for Christmas, so there's a whole lot of reasons for us to turn on the PS3 and Wii U, and no reason to power the PS4.

Battlefield 4 has long since been fixed to an enjoyable state. Aside some serverside lags during peak hours for Conquest 64, and the odd client crash (very seldom now), it's pretty much flawless technically - and damn if it isn't one of the best, if not the best iteration of Battlefield yet.

You are missing out!

mr187uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Love it!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 'shiny new toy' charm of it has lowered quite a bit as of now, even though I told myself that I would play through each game I have on it. So far, Resogun is the only one I've "finished", with Killzone and Asscreed IV waiting, along with a bunch of downloadable ones. I blame getting a faster connection and Steam winter sales...but inFamous isn't that far off anymore!

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can get some sense of a feeling that the ps4 owners NEEDS more games, am I right? I mean, its pretty dry out there now i can imagine

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seppli said:

@sonicrift said:

I thought for sure I'd buy Battlefield 4 for the thing, but it's so broken I didn't bother. My fiancee's playing New Vegas on PS3 right now, I'm playing a ton of NHL 14 (probably more than I've played a hockey game since NHL 96) and I got Wind Waker HD for Christmas, so there's a whole lot of reasons for us to turn on the PS3 and Wii U, and no reason to power the PS4.

Battlefield 4 has long since been fixed to an enjoyable state. Aside some serverside lags during peak hours for Conquest 64, and the odd client crash (very seldom now), it's pretty much flawless technically - and damn if it isn't one of the best, if not the best iteration of Battlefield yet.

You are missing out!

I don't know may be I'm burnt out of battlefield finally, but it bores me to dead after 60 hours. It is basically Battlefield 3 with new maps, it really feels like the same with minor tweaks and more bugs.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Seppli

@donpixel said:

@seppli said:

@sonicrift said:

You are missing out!

I don't know may be I'm burnt out of battlefield finally, but it bores me to dead after 60 hours. It is basically Battlefield 3 with new maps, it really feels like the same with minor tweaks and more bugs.

It's definitely time DICE changed up the core gameplay. There's definitely a little wear and tear now.

I feel an increase in infantry mobility is what it takes. Like DICE baking a *movement mesh* or something into the DNA of the engine and into all asset production, designed to enable some form of free movement regardless of terrain or object and state there-of. When a sniper can climb most trees, an assault soldier can scale most buildings, that'll change gameplay up tremendously. As soon as the will to go somewhere is enough to get everywhere, and nothing stands inbetween, that'd be swell.

Right now, all too often movement still hangs on a pebble or root or some such shit, or I just can't go where I want to go (and could go, in the real world). Movement is all too often hampered by the artifice of being a videogame, and doesn't feel organic or empowering. The will to go somewhere is often not enough. I believe the right design would be for sprinting to make movement imperative, and nothing ever stopping it - to the point of characters tumbling and ragdolling to the ground, breaking through doors and windows, running up and scaling walls, climbing slopes on all fours, even climbing trees and buildings where appropriate - as well as tons of gadgets enabling more freedom of movement, like grappling hooks and rappeling harnesses and so forth.

A man can dream.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By DonPixel

@seppli: I think Dice is trapped in the modern military trope, like seriously trapped, even Blops 2 with its near future setting does interesting stuff with drones and weapons.

Seems to me a lot of what you mention (interesting mobility to infantry) is being address in TitanFall, one more reason for me to be exited about it.

Dice trap itself in this weird spot where battlefield is a sand-boxy arcade game with uber realistic visuals and weaponry which creates a strange dissonance, and attract a lot of military heads that complain about weapon speed, weapon accuracy stats and a bunch of boring nonsense (in a videogame context), those people should be playing Arma anyway.

They being listening to this audience and now the game is weird, not realistic not arcade, its like a boring hybrid who tries to please everyone and lacks of personality.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish it had more games or at least the strength of some longstanding PSN downloadable catalog of old games or even traditional backwards compatibility. Killzone: ShadowFall is okay, Knack isn't. Need for Speed Rivals is fun but I could have played that on any other console that Nintendo didn't make. Resogun is great for a downloadable game. There isn't a outstanding one solid reason you should really want to get a PS4 at this moment.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Seppli

@donpixel said:

@seppli: I think Dice is trapped in the modern military trope, like seriously trapped, even Blops 2 with its near future setting does interesting stuff with drones and weapons.

Seems to me a lot of what you mention (interesting mobility to infantry) is being address in TitanFall, one more reason for me to be exited about it.

Dice trap itself in this weird spot where battlefield is a sand-boxy arcade game with uber realistic visuals and weaponry which creates a strange dissonance, and attract a lot of military heads that complain about weapon speed, weapon accuracy stats and a bunch of boring nonsense (in a videogame context), those people should be playing Arma anyway.

They being listening to this audience and now the game is weird, not realistic not arcade, its like a boring hybrid who tries to please everyone and lacks of personality.

BF 1943 gave me hope. Hope that DICE mixes it up inbetween big safe releases with more niche and experimental Battlefield games. Loved the cooldown-based refills of ammo/grenades/gadgets for example (a concept which is now employed for vehicles in BF4). The BF:BC 2 Vietnam expansion should have been stand-alone. Instead of those Medal of Honor games, there should have been more experimental smallish digital-only Battlefield games. Something along the lines of BF 2143. Maybe something mystical with Norse gods or something. Licensed stuff maybe? Battlefield with a G.I. Joe, Star Wars, Naruto, Marvel whatever theme. Hell - Battlefield Mass Effect/Dragon Age crossovers. Battlefield Need for Speed car-warfare. You name it. I want it.

I agree, DICE seems a little trapped by the Modern Warfare setting, as well as their 64 player heritage. The backlash against too different settings and lower playercounts is definitely something they are afraid of. Like the arbitrary increase of players for Rush from 24 players to 32 from old gen consoles to current gen and PC. Rush just doesn't work as well with 32 players as it does with 24. Too congested. Too few tickets. Too quick respawns. It just doesn't jell, especially on tougher maptiers - but alas the higher playercount is a sales-sensitive bullet point on the back of the box.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#64  Edited By demonbear

The hardware is awesome and I fell in love with Warframe! What an awesome game!

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Not being able to pause downloads... Other than that I really enjoy everything about it.

ale_pato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love it very much. Especially the DS4, except that the left stick is suffering from severe wear problems. Soft plastic pieces are coming off, and it;s eventually going to ruin the left stick. I don't know what I can do about it, and I don't want to buyanother one.

Humanoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

The Geometry Wars like game is the most fun I've had in a long while. Resogun? Is that it?

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The main gripe is of course are the games. I have Ghosts and BF4. Ghosts is just a port from the pre-gen consoles. Load times are longer than what I would have expected and graphics look almost identical if you didn't put them right up to each other. BF4 looks amazing and sounds amazing but recently online has not worked at all for me. I can't even get in a game. Overall Resogun is the best game on the console right now which really tells you a lot about the games on it right now. Just have to wait for what the future will hold on the games front.

Broadcasting is fun too.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't own a PS4, but my friend does. I must say, that controller is the new gold standard IMO. Games he owns run fine also.

scottiedo22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By scottiedo22

Two small things I really love about the system:

- Headphone jack in the controller

- Remote download - yesterday I used the PSN app on my phone to get Don't Starve for free from Playstation Plus, hit the download button and the game was downloaded and ready to go when I got home from work.

Dr_Perscitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive got big buyers remorse at this point.

Obviously i knew there wouldnt be games for a while, but i expected them to work 2 months in. So far I've got 3 games, AC4, BF4 and NBA 2k14. The three games all have their significant issues when using online. BF4 is obivously a hot mess, NBA 2K's park mode doesnt let me join my friends, and its other online modes appear to just be broken with an infinite wait at matchmaking.

This deep in, almost 2 months, I expected my games to work, and they don't. Not to mention my PC is already better than a ps4 anyway, I just wish i never even bought the thing until the first price drop..

Especially since i only bought it for the exclusives, and couldnt' give a fuck for infamous

Me too, but my problem is that my PS4 died after just three weeks (pulsing blue light issue)... I booted the thing up a few times.

Thought we were over last gens hardware failures.

sdharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played ACIV, NBA2K, DC Universe and Warframe. Had a great time with all of them, and I love the look and feel of the system.

Obviously there is a lack of games right now, and it really isn't going to be radically different until next year. The ps4 is a good value for the money as far as hardware and future outlook, but it's certainly not worth stretching for until you see something that's a must play.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I like it. When it doesn't crash all the time, that is. Reminds me of the Wii U's debut.

Also, the 3 hour-long battery life is fucking retarded. Sony should allow us to disable the big fucking glowing blue bar that drains 95% of the battery life.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Two small things I really love about the system:

- Headphone jack in the controller

- Remote download - yesterday I used the PSN app on my phone to get Don't Starve for free from Playstation Plus, hit the download button and the game was downloaded and ready to go when I got home from work.

Yeah that headphone jack in the controller is great.

kkotd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine has been pretty good to me so far. The biggest issues I've had are:

Games crash - While this may have been an issue for 360 and PS3 and certainly has happened on PC over the years, this is the first console I've had that crashes several times a week. And it seems to happen atleast once with every game I throw at it. Still, compared to how much I used it last month, the crashes were few but most definitely noticeable.

Video Recording Doesn't Always Work - It's supposed to record the last 15 minutes or so of gameplay, but sometimes it will randomly stop. It isn't a disk space issue, it just stops. This can be fixed by double tapping the share button before the thing you want to record, but 9 out of 10 times, the thing I wanted to record wasn't noticed until after it happened.

Friends Lists - As Jeff said, friends lists are hella broken. Most games break if you have more than 100-200 friends and none of them thus far support more than 500 for social features to work. If you manage to max out the friends list, it's quite an effort to whittle it down to a hundred. There's no filtering what-so-ever and no way to delete multiple friends at a time.

Controller Battery Life - This is a huge bummer if you're looking to game for 7-8+ hours at a time and don't have a USB port near by. The controller will typically last for 4-5 hours max and then need recharged (takes 30-45 mins).

Remote Play Is Far From Perfect - A huge reason I was buying a PS4 was to use my Vita as a controller when I wasn't able to be infront of the TV. Remote Play didn't solve this. While it seems cool at first, it's a real pain to be playing a game, have the screen spaz out and lose connection, only to find out the game didn't pause.

Bluray Functionality - They more or less completely changed the way the DS4 handles Bluray controls and even worst removed some completely. I'm not quite sure why they would do this, but I still use my PS3 to watch Blurays right now because of this.

Other than those small complaints, it's actually a really nice device and I look forward to seeing what they improve upon with the next 2-3 years.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kkotd said:

Remote Play Is Far From Perfect - A huge reason I was buying a PS4 was to use my Vita as a controller when I wasn't able to be infront of the TV. Remote Play didn't solve this. While it seems cool at first, it's a real pain to be playing a game, have the screen spaz out and lose connection, only to find out the game didn't pause.

I had issues where I found a clear radius in my apartment that if I crossed it would spaz and lose connection. I found that turning off the direct connection in the PS4 remote play menu, so that the Vita just uses my apartment's wifi instead of the one generated by the PS4, it works better at further distances.

It's still not perfect but it definitely improved things for me.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing actually getting on my tits about the PS4 is that the screenshot is taken when the screenshot icon pops up on scren. That ruins it completely.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I love the controller so much.

AlchemistZer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question hopefully getting a ps4 soon "fingers crossed", how is the hard drive i've really been racking my brain over this. Will I be ok with a default PS4? Or is the Hybrid/SSD upgrade truly the cats meow?

Thanks in advance!

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So far it's been pretty ok. I'm trying to get over my paranoia about breaking the syestem or babying and now I'm just waiting for more games for it. Playing BF 4 multiplayer with friends online and I'm shipping KZ out to gamefly to get Assassins creed.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Had one for a couple of days now. There's some frustrating things about downloading games, like not being able to pause downloads and the dl speed seems to be unchanged from the PS3. The controller is mostly ok, I like the tighter sticks and the weight of it, but while the triggers are a huge improvement they still seem a little spongy and kinda suck compared to the ones on the 360.

Killzone alternates between being alright and outright bad. The multiplayer has some awful maps.

Resogun seems to have been made specifically for me. I fucking love Resogun.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By glots
spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how many people in here are stealth marketers.

XB1M13PS4M14

TheBlackPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#84  Edited By TheBlackPigeon

@tobyus: I just picked it up with an Xbox One today. I'm loving 'em both.

As for PS4 impressions, I'm pretty satisfied with it's potential so far. The UI is easy enough to navigate, although I do miss being able to customize it. I'm disappointed in the lack of external USB support. The same also goes for the lack of media file support, such as MP3's. But from what I understand, Sony's gonna hotfix it eventually, so it's not that big of a deal. Games are....OK. It's the launch window. There's really not a whole lot that really catches my eye. That's just how it goes, sometimes. They do look nice, though.

One thing that really stands out for me is how loud it is compared to the Xbox One. The latter is whisper quiet, while the PS4 reminds me of that obnoxious relative who won't shut up. "HEY, XBONE! CHECK IT OUT WE'RE PLAYING A GAME IN NATIVE 1080P AND 60 FPS! IT'S PRETTY PUPPY AWESOME, MAN! HUH? CHECK OUT WHAT? OH, UPLOAD STUDIO! YEAH, IT'S COOL! SORRY, MAN, WE COULDN'T HEAR YOU OVER ALL THIS HORSEPOWER! HEY, LET'S STAND IN FRONT OF KINECT AND GET A PICTURE! LOOK AT THESE TERAFLOPS, BRO!"

All jokes aside, I'm cool. I'll keep you posted as I get more into it. : )

TERMINATOR_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By TERMINATOR_FAN

I wanna try it out real soon. PlayStation 4 sounds like a real cool username for another chat program i'm on. :)

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have one, and I haven't played one at all yet, but I haven't had a single issue thus far. Everything works as expected.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

To be honest I haven't touched it in weeks. Just waiting for Infamous.

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what about Thief???

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#89  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan
@tobyus said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

what about Thief???

If I play it, it'll probably be on Pc. :)

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I Love it, the only bummer is the useless batterylife, Seriously Sony wtf?

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobyus said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

what about Thief???

oh relly? PC? you can have Thief on PS4 until inFamous comes out ;) trade it and such, ya know ;) haha

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking it and I really like some of the changes made to the controller, kinda just waiting for the next big game which will be inFamous: Second Son as I haven't really played much of the PS4 since finishing AC4.

Tobyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking it and I really like some of the changes made to the controller, kinda just waiting for the next big game which will be inFamous: Second Son as I haven't really played much of the PS4 since finishing AC4.

I see that alot of people is waiting for inFamous. It does look REALLY good. Im gonna buy it, for sure.
Youre not playing BF4? Ghosts?

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it in about a month, so kinda terrible in the games department.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By SomeJerk

@theblackpigeon said:

One thing that really stands out for me is how loud it is compared to the Xbox One.

If it stays super loud even when it's sitting in open air hooked up and running a game you should get in touch with Sony. Some units shipped with what probably were busted temperature sensors making the fan run at full blast. Mine's more silent than a menu-idling PS3 Slim (measured) though with hotter exhaust. (worryingly hot sometimes, but my probes at the vents have never recorded more than 48C/118F)

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#96  Edited By Castiel

@tobyus said:

@themanwithnoplan said:
@tobyus said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

what about Thief???

oh relly? PC? you can have Thief on PS4 until inFamous comes out ;) trade it and such, ya know ;) haha

Okay, Sony marketing guy.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are no games. Where are the games?

Avatar image for deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5
deactivated-5914f5c50a1c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mine bricked, unfortunately. Didn't have PS+ which meant no cloud saving which also meant I lost all of my save games, which kinda sucks. There's no way I'm playing through like 70% of AC4 again even though I love that game. I'm just going to have to watch the rest on Youtube - lots of time wasted. As shitty as that is I dig the console, the design, the controller and the interface. The streaming works surprisingly well. The multimedia facets are lacking, but I couldn't give a shit... I have a decent PC to fill that void. I just got it for the future console exclusive games only, and it looks to be a pretty promising gaming machine. I don't get people complaining about games, that's fucking dumb. There hasn't been a console with a strong launch line-up in ages. It's tradition for launch titles to be sparse and alright quality at best.

Really hoping Second Son is great. That's the only BIG PS4 exclusive that's near and a lot people's expectations depend on that game.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's Killzone out of the way...now just ACIV left on big titles I own. After that I might be tempted to buy BF4 or Ghosts. Maybe even...Knack. Or just try and hang-on 'till Rayman - Legends comes out. Sure hope that inFamous manages to keep me happy for months to come, otherwise it'll be a dry summer up ahead...

Downloadables fortunately still have Contrast and Escape Plan left. Really hoping that Mercenary Kings comes out in this month as well, along with Strider and Outlast.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By shinjin977

I do not have a ps4 but the coming of gen 8 and the following dry period of release are really annoying. Thank god for KS games and Bravely Default.