PS4 audio: Too much bass, weird levels?

keyweez360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By keyweez360

PS4 is set up via HDMI and Linear PCM through a receiver, same as my 360 and PS3. Had the same setup for years and the sound has always been fairly comparably and fine across PS3/360. PS3 would usually give me slightly clearer, louder audio, but still.

With PS4 though, I'm noticing the center channel audio is a bit scaled back and the bass is kind of ridiculous. Best example I've found is the first boss battle in Resogun. Overwhelmingly loud bass, even if I all but mute my subwoofer. The music in NBA 2K14, while not as ridiculous as the bass in Resogun, was also very bass heavy.

Killzone Shadow Fall seems fine though, great sound design.

Anyone else finding this to be the case with their audio?

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Sorry, not seeing the problem here. Because BASS.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

drop da bass, sony.

Bobbyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jack Tretton bringing the wubs, y'all

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next Gen Bass is here.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Strife777

I still haven't got mine, but I don't have to hear it to know I want more bass. I want my headphones to give me a head massage with sound.

Always more bass.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's system level thing as just Resogun has a very bad mix. The bass in that drowns out almost all of the other audio for me, it's really annoying.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

PS4 is set up via HDMI and Linear PCM through a receiver, same as my 360 and PS3. Had the same setup for years and the sound has always been fairly comparably and fine across PS3/360. PS3 would usually give me slightly clearer, louder audio, but still.

With PS4 though, I'm noticing the center channel audio is a bit scaled back and the bass is kind of ridiculous. Best example I've found is the first boss battle in Resogun. Overwhelmingly loud bass, even if I all but mute my subwoofer. The music in NBA 2K14, while not as ridiculous as the bass in Resogun, was also very bass heavy.

Killzone Shadow Fall seems fine though, great sound design.

Anyone else finding this to be the case with their audio?

No. If it was I'd just adjust my receiver.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

You do know that it depends on the game right? Once more games come out and you experience them more, you'll see that it's the same as current-gen. The thing you just explained is the same on current-gen consoles, where some games have more bass than others, it's about sound design. For instance, while Dead Space 3 sounds great, and The Last of Us sounds great as well, Dead Space 3 has way more bass than The Last of Us. It just depends on the game. I personally don't like when games overuse bass. A few months ago I changed out my 5.1 home theater system, with a 5.1 sound bar, and with the sound bar I can easily fix the bass.