The PS4 is here... MP3 support is not.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Seriously, what the hell, Sony!? You already announced that "as we speak, people in Japan - the system guys - are discussing when we can put these features in," back in November, so why are we still waiting for a feature as basic as MP3 support?

No, I'm not paying 60 dollars a year to listen to music that I already own, even if it would introduce me to a lot of music that I don't own. Just give us the damn MP3 support that you promised. It's been over six months, now.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

It's that third layer. They've been able to get MP2s to work, but that damn third layer...

casper_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i dno man do you really need another device to play mp3s... it seems really trivial.

MisTaH_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The question is does it support .flac and .ogg files?

Avatar image for himynameisgandalf
HiMyNameIsGandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HiMyNameIsGandalf

@casper_ said:

i dno man do you really need another device to play mp3s... it seems really trivial.

Well I would like to listen to my mp3 collection while playing a game on PS4 and I guess I'm not alone. Many of us probably already subscribed to services like Spotify so Sony's music service is not really an option.

If I imagined to be Sony and really wanted the money from customers though, I'd first of all give it my best to drag as many people as possible into Music Unlimited before giving in on mp3 support.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@casper_ said:

If Sony actually let people use MP3s they can listen to while gaming. Custom Soundtracks from the machine. That would be great especially for RPG lovers.

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

While I agree it's something they need to address I personally want external HDD support first.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's pretty easy to convert MP3s into any other file format under the sun, there are even batch converters that will do an entire folder of them at a time.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Playstation is not the hub of all things media it once was. thats why I still use my PS3 daily for watching/listening to stuff. And playing EDF.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@xyzygy said:

@casper_ said:

If Sony actually let people use MP3s they can listen to while gaming. Custom Soundtracks from the machine. That would be great especially for RPG lovers.

Keep a phone or tablet next to you (something most people already do). It's more convenient to switch tracks and control volumes independently. MP3s on consoles was novel in 2001.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a total non factor for me.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Being able to play movies is more important to me, so give me avi, mp4, mkv, whatever, but mp3? Come on

DrSbaitso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typical GiantBomb superdouche replies.

"Why would you want MP3 support?!?!? What are you, like, ancient or something? Why does it need that when you can like, turn it on your PC and position the speakers to play into the hallway and just listen with your right ear while positioning your body for maximum listening angle for both the TV and the hallway? Or use your cellphones awesome quality speaker to jam your MP3? Why are people even complaining about this?"

For whatever it's worth OP, it's not okay with me that they don't support something as trivial as MP3, and fuck these fucking fucks in here who want to trivialize that.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I got over that last fall. I used it on PS3, but now I just run stuff through my phone...it a change of lifestyle...you young folk have not lived through LP ---> 8-Track ---> cassette tapes ---> CDs ---> DAT ---> DAT going nowhere so back ---> CDs ---> MP3 ---> downloadables.

The way you listen to music will change, you life will change.

...suddenly you're 40, your kids are little fucking shits, your gut hangs over you pants and you wife is a damn shrew. Then you realize you should be like French artist Paul Gauguin. He had it right, move to French Polynesia in the 19th century, because you REALLY just want to paint naked people in Tahiti. Fond of alcohol and carousing, Gauguin eventually contracted syphilis from his 13 year old maid...that's one way to end it all.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Typical GiantBomb superdouche replies.

"Why would you want MP3 support?!?!? What are you, like, ancient or something? Why does it need that when you can like, turn it on your PC and position the speakers to play into the hallway and just listen with your right ear while positioning your body for maximum listening angle for both the TV and the hallway? Or use your cellphones awesome quality speaker to jam your MP3? Why are people even complaining about this?"

For whatever it's worth OP, it's not okay with me that they don't support something as trivial as MP3, and fuck these fucking fucks in here who want to trivialize that.

People are trivializing it because it's a trivial situation. Nearly every electronic these days plays music. Yeah maybe you see that as a reason why it should be in there, but if they decided to work on something more important then fine. I will listen to MP3's on my 20 other devices until they decide to get around to it.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Why not just use the billion other devices that are able to play mp3s?

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By notdavid

Who are these rubes that listen to music while they play games? Are they the same guys that skip cutscenes without watching them once?

We REALLY need some DLNA support for videos and whatnot. Sure, they could throw in MP3s too. Why the hell not.

Avatar image for thekrusemissile
TheKruseMissile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want custom soundtrack support, because it can be integrated into the game.

For example, wrestling games let you assign entrance music to wrestlers, so your custom guy can have a proper entrance theme or you can update existing people's entrances when they change them.

Not having proper custom music integration sucks.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notdavid said:

Who are these rubes that listen to music while they play games? Are they the same guys that skip cutscenes without watching them once?

No, they're the ones who play racing games, competitive shooters, tournament fighting games, pinball games, arcade style games, flight games, and literally ANY game where you've already played through the campaign.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I completely agree. It is amazing how barebones the PS4 is. No videos, no MP3s, no pictures, no USBs, no nothing. I actively used all these things on PS3 and can't use any of them on PS4.

Seriously, what the fuck is up with all the snarky replies here? Every racing game I ever played on PS3 I did so with my own custom soundtrack. When it is actually implemented in the system itself it allows you to replace the in game music with your own custom soundtrack while at the same time still hearing the in game sound effects.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

There are a bunch of promised features I'm looking forward to in future PS4 updates - playing MP3s is not one of them. I know it's a big deal to some, but I rather have them focusing on other things more people will use first.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@notdavid said:

No, they're the ones who play racing games, competitive shooters, tournament fighting games, pinball games, arcade style games, flight games, and literally ANY game where you've already played through the campaign.

That and sometimes I like to game late into the night using my controller's headphone jack so I dont wake people up with my crappy music or talk about shit bandits. Honestly i'm surprised about the lack of empathy in this thread, is it console patriotism? So what if you dont consider this an issue, there's tons of other subjects I couldnt care less about either but dont I post replys there just to be a dick.