PlayStation 5 technical issues - have you experienced any?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Poll PlayStation 5 technical issues - have you experienced any? (116 votes)

I haven't had any issues 22%
I've experienced software issues 15%
I've experienced hardware issues 11%
I've experienced both hardware and software issues 6%
I don't own a PS5 and/or just want to see the answers 47%

Duders on the site have been sharing an assortment of technical issues they've experienced with the PlayStation 5. Problems with hard-drives, weird noises and software bugs have also been discussed on the HotSpot, Bombcast and Beastcast.

As a new slew of PS5 consoles came on sale recently and quickly disappeared again before I had a chance to grab one, I started to reconsider the risks seemingly involved with these first batches of PlayStation 5 consoles. In the past I've been quite lucky with buying launch hardware and have so far experienced only some software bugs with my Series X. However something about the stories coming out about all the little and large issues with the PS5 are putting me slightly on edge.

I hope that all you fresh PS5 owners out there could share your experiences with the technical reliability of the PlayStation 5. Are the issues severe and widespread? Would you recommend waiting for a new revision, or just jumping in right now?

Thanks in advance for any and all comments.

• 
bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

My PS5 stopped being able to connect to my wifi for a while. It couldn't even find the network. Then it found the network but couldn't identify the IP so it couldn't connect to the Internet. I looked up solutions and tried a few but what ultimately worked for me was using a Cat5 wire to directly connect the PS5 to my router. Then I was able to unplug the ethernet cable and the PS5 went back to being able to find the IP address and connect normally (so at this point it connects to wifi fine.)

I may have had some other very minor bugs like the PS5 turning fully off after being put to sleep or some audio glitches but nothing unexpected or major besides the wifi thing, which scared me because while I'm sure it will be fixed in some future patch (since it's clearly not a hardware issue) it made it impossible for me to download games (even if you buy a disc you need the patches) or whatever. Fortunately the fix wasn't too tough, but it took me almost an hour of messing around in settings and trying different things to get it back on the 'net.

VikingRk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One thing I keep running into is failing to connect to some PSN related features in-game. For example, in Persona 5 Royal, you're supposed to be able to access the "Thieves Guild" which allows you to see what other people did that day or what other people answered to questions in class. For me, I get an error anytime these features pop up. I literally get an error message at the end of every in-game day. I've seen the same error in at least one other game but it's incredibly common in P5R.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brian_  Online

I've had connection issues too. Sometimes when I'd launch something like Overwatch as the first game after turning the console on, it won't connect to the servers. I'd then quit the game, launch something else with online function, quit that, relaunch Overwatch and then it connects. And it wasn't just Overwatch. Anything that I launched after first starting the console just wouldn't connect to servers. I haven't noticed it happening in the past couple of weeks, but I also haven't been playing any online games recently. I did get Destruction AllStars yesterday, and that didn't have any issues connecting. Maybe the issue is specifically effecting PS4 games on PS5? I don't know. It's weird.

EDIT: I did just launch Overwatch, and see if it'd connect on first boot, and it manage to connect. Maybe it has been resolved? Hard to say.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brian_: I have had some minor connection issues with Hitman 3, including one that kicked me out of the game (because that game has a stupid always online mode thing, which, ugh, why for a single player game?). I'm not sure if this is the PS5 or my own internet, which can be problematic, but it has happened a bunch that it has struggled to connect, and that's with a native PS5 game.

Fortunately the one time it kicked me out of the game I had saved like 30 seconds earlier so it didn't cause too much of a problem.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brian_  Online

@bigsocrates: I also heard that Hitman 3 was having it's own specific issues with it's servers losing connection, so it could be that too.

In my case though, it's not that I was losing connection, it's that it would never connect in the first place, and that it was across all games, and only on first boot. That seemed extra weird.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I've had mine since launch day and haven't had any issues. I do not have an external hard drive, and I've never put the console into rest mode with a game suspended; I always hard save and then close the application first.

Dezar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have had some connection issues with hitman 3 and locking up multiple times on the dartmoor map sadly (favorite one!). Other than that things have been pretty stable so far.

Burade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a digital version at launch - I don't have an external hard drive attached but I have this weird issue where when I'm done with a game, if I don't sit on the home screen for roughly 30 seconds before setting it into rest mode it'll send me to a green screen and then crash the system.

I have managed to set the console into rest mode with a game running in the background by following the process above so it seems like a weirdly consistent software issue on my end. Other than that though, it's been smooth sailing!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like the system might've once reseted itself on it's own around when I got it, but that could also be me thinking about the Series X doing that. Can't really remember there being any problems during any games I've played and I've also used the rest mode with games suspended pretty frequently.

I'm sure it's finally going to start acting up when I get a game like the new Ratchet & Clank and play it for 24/7, but let's hope not.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I haven’t had any issues with mine.

Had like 60 seconds when I thought something was up with my controller, but it was due to my it having low battery once. (I can’t remember what it was, but there was an error message that wasn’t “Hey, your battery is low” when I started up the console one time) UI issues aside, I love that thing.

CrimsonJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten several crashes, mostly playing Miles Morales but also at least once on games such as Demon Souls, Bugsnax, WD:Legion. I also got the "you are downloading something to an external drive while playing a PS5 game" error that totally crashes the system and has to rebuild when I'm forced to manually turn it off and on.

Really hope that these can bugs be patched out and my PS5 doesn't immediately die after the warranty ends.

UndeadKink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ll let you know when I can finally find one. :P

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's happened a few times now where I put it into rest mode with the controller having a high charge and then when I try to turn it back on the battery on the controller is completely drained. It's very odd.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Nothing much.. Mainly launch week, I had some crashes. But I'm assuming the patches they did took care of that because I haven't anything happen since. I don't use rest mode; I didn't use it on the PS4 either. I don't think consoles, in the state they are in now; can really run in a rest mode. It's never worked with any console I've ever had; so I just stopped using the "feature."

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Only software, and both common issues: I've had the issue with Spider-man crashing the console if it was left running when the console went into rest mode, which is a fairly well-known bug exclusive (I believe) to that game. I've also had multiple crashes if a game on my removable SSD tries to update while I'm playing something else. The solution to that was simply to stop using the removable storage. Since then it's been fine, and I regularly leave games in idle/rest for days at a time before I go back to them without any problems. I assume as these are software issues both of these things will at some point be addressed in a patch, and it's easy to work around them for the time being, so I'm feeling pretty relaxed about it. I consider it the trade-off for getting the console on launch day.

Honestly the most frustrating thing has been the lack of transparency from Sony about whether these issues have been fixed or not. I know the OS has been updated a couple of times but their patch notes are minimal and I'm not going to plug my removable storage back in until I've seen someone confirm that everything has been resolved.

bongchilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I’d love to have technical issues with a PS5 but it is god damned impossible to get one.

Doszero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only issues I've had are audio ones. Specifically Final Fantasy XV, the PS4 Kingdom Hearts collection, and a bunch of movies on the HBO app just won't put out any sound on the default audio format for my setup (Bitstream Dolby). Sometimes I can get it to work by switching to Linear PCM in the system menu, but for Final Fantasy and a couple movies all the music was at the fore and all the dialogue was quiet background noise. A few times there was no sound regardless of what format I put it in (looking at you Diehard).

Otherwise it's been fine, it lost the internet signal for no reason the other day but that was a quick fix.

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It would be nice if I can buy a PS5.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On my first day with it I had a hard lock while playing Astro. Couldn't hit the ps button out to dashboard, couldn't power off with the console button, couldn't even eject the demons souls disc that was in the drive. Ended up having to yank the power cable out of the back of the console. I've had this happen once more, a few months later, during a Miles Morales cutscene.

Other than that, I had an overly noisy/rattly disc drive any time it would spin up a disc. That was solved with a firm tap to the casing though. I'm guessing something wasn't fitted right.

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly just the WiFi completely stopping and I need to do a full reboot to get it to work again.

kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By kidman

immediately after replacing my PS4Pro with PS5 - had sound but no video - hard reboot of TV worked fine and now things are looking fine.

peffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No major issues. The worst thing I've experienced is coil whine, but it's not noticeable when there's music playing or I'm using headphones.

To be fair, the only stuff I've used it for so far is Astro's Playroom, Bugsnax, and a bunch of PS4 games.