Will it bum you out if the PS5 doesn't do back compat for PS1, 2, and 3?

• 63 results
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Will it bum you out if the PS5 doesn't do back compat for PS1, 2, and 3? (330 votes)

Yeah, that would stink. 26%
Somewhat. 30%
No, I don't think I'd care that much. 42%
I don't know. Let me see what others have to say. 2%

So I didn't want to make it sound definitive despite recent reports that the PS5 will only do PS4 backward compatibility as seen from a Ubisoft support page. The reason being that that page has since been edited to take out the part about back compat for PS1, PS2, and PS3 for some reason. I am not sure that it would bum me out too much, but I wish they did take the route Microsoft was going where you not only can play those older generation games, but they were updated free of charge. What about you?

• 
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By csl316

I really wanted to be able to play my entire PS library off one system in the living room.

The recent remasters of PS1 games (Crash, CTR, Spyro, etc.) just go to show that the gameplay in those games is still worthwhile, even if they don't look great anymore.

At least my launch PS3 is somehow still alive and ready to play my PS1 library. And so many of my favorite PS2 games have been remastered.

Viqor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally? A little, but probably less than it should. I'm way into retro games, so I have every Playstation and good quality way to hook it up to a modern TV, so if I want to play Tony Hawk 3 (like I did last week), I'll get my PS2 out, ditto for PS1, PS3 or PS4 games.

It disappoints me more because most people don't have the time, money, or interest to invest in getting old systems to work well on digital televisions. An easy to use, decent quality setup that you might already own would make it pretty easy to check out a few old games to see if it's something you might be in to or replay something that you have fond memories of.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a feature no one demanded, but seemed like a cool bonus. The rumor went from having hardware built in to truly play any disc in PS history, to early model PS3 style soft emulation, to an even more half assed approach than MS putting Xbox 2001 games one by one into compatibility. What it was eventually dumbed down to was "remasters" with less work done and lower cost. Pass.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess when a hardware maker considers backwards compatibility, they have to wonder if the cost is worth it and whether it compromises the box you're trying to make.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No i don't expect to be that competent.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'd definitely be bummed. But it wouldn't affect my decision, and realistically it's a feature I'd use very infrequently. I also still have all my old consoles, so worst case I could dig them back out if I really wanted to.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I really don't care about replaying old games that much on a PS5. If I were to replay games I'd rather replay the discs I already own....and there are ways with my PC to do that. There are ways to rip the ISOs to use with the emulators that are perfectly quasi legal.

I have played around with free to use PS emulators and they work just fine. I don't need my PS5 to do that, it woudl be NICE, but I don't need it to do that for me.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Shindig

The more I think about it, MGS4's the only PS3 exclusive I can't grab on another system if I really need to play it.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I wish there were PS1 classics on the PS5. It's kinda ridiculous that PS4 didn't have them to be honest.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

Hell, if they could just add the games to the store and make them playable through an emulator on the console, I'd be absolutely thrilled. I didn't expect true backward compatibility because if it was on there, they'd have been bragging about it WELL before now, but honestly the frustration for me at this point is a seeming unwillingness to take money for something I'd gladly give it up for (GIVE ME A PLAYABLE SILENT HILL 2 ON CONSOLE), and instead extract it through channels I'd rather not engage with (microtransactions, live-services, critical-DLC, etc.)

Hunkadunkodon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think like a lot of folks here I'm in the boat of "It would be a nice perk but it's not that important to me, really."

Best case scenario for me is them working out licensing for stuff to put on PS Now and just... Let that be an option. Sure it's not ideal but if you're looking to play The Unholy War with no latency frame perfect accuracy you're probably going to go and get an old PS One and a disc anyway.

Basically what I'm saying is put Cardinal Syn on PS Now, you cowards.

Also as an aside as tacky as all the mini consoles ended up being, a GOOD PlayStation Classic would have been nice, y'all.

Maybe they can turn things around and release a PS2 Classic featuring all of the launch titles. That way you can enjoy through the convenience of HDMI such classics as DOA 2, Orphen, and... Uh... Madden 2001.

steveurkel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I never want to play an old playstation game again.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#63  Edited By impartialgecko

Backwards compatibility was done acceptably well on the Xbox One to the point where that should now be the standard by which all new consoles are judged. Of course the priority for me would be my PS4 library but why hold billion dollar companies to the bare minimum? Give me my full backwards compatibility or I'll buy that shit used Sony.