Will this console likely going to have backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3 games?

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Poll Will this console likely going to have backwards compatibility with PS1, PS2 and PS3 games? (135 votes)

Likely 5%
Unlikely 95%

Hello

I would like to see you guys speculate that will this console have backwards compatibility with older generations of PlayStation consoles in the near future, similar to how the Xbox One did, 2 years after it's launch.

• 
judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope so, but voted unlikely. Sucks because my PS3 has died on me before, and I'd love to get newer hardware that plays all my games. Not getting my hopes up though. BC is a lot of work and doesn't really sell consoles.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

If it was going to happen, it was going to happen at launch. But it didn't, so it won't

Sony as a company doesn't believe much in BC these days and will do the bare minimum they think they need to do to be competitive. I personally think they're wrong to believe it doesn't sell consoles or games. I know I've moved most of my gaming business and time away from Sony because my purchases aren't important to them. I pretty much only buy exclusives there now. Just one person of course, but I suspect a lot of enthusiasts who spend way more than your average customer probably come to the same conclusion I did.

I think it's more likely that BC with PS4 gets stripped out of future revisions of PS5 than any additional BC or improvements to existing.

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At this point it’s less of a technical issue than one of corporate priorities. It’s pretty clear even at this early juncture that the PS5 is going to outsell the Series X/S (which has been true every generation), so Sony isn’t going to spend money spinning up a team dedicated to backwards compatibility just to beat Microsoft in a niche that isn’t that big of a deal to the general public. Instead, Sony will happily point you towards stuff like PS Now as a replacement to true backwards compatibility.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It should, but they'd rather just sell you a new copy on PSN with some changes or the streaming only version via PSNow.

No8Axel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God I wish, literally the reason why I ended up going with Series X over PS5 is because I still spend a lot of time playing old generation games

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

As others have said, Sony is likely going to repackage and remaster what there appears to be demand for or takes light work to accomplish while continuing to push PS Now as the future of backwards compatibility. And who knows, maybe one day it's super rad! But that day's not today.

I'm less skeptical about their forward-thinking BC than some others here, though. I think Steam, which was nascent enough in the PS3 days that you might recall Steam initially attempted to integrate with the PS Store in some weird ways, and now Epic Game Store have made the gaming market pretty familiar with the concept of "my old games shouldn't only run on my new hardware, they should run better" and Microsoft isn't doing Sony any favors with their All XBox Everywhere push.

I'd be shocked if a Sony console is ever as robust as Microsoft's current Series X situation sounds like it is, but I think there's a very strong chance you'll be able to play God of War 2018 and The Last of Us Part II on whatever hardware Sony puts out in the future. The architecture is just too generalized at this point to throw up your hands and say it's not worth it.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: -2

I have all my old playstation consoles hooked up in the basement, but would still love to see them all available to play my games on the PS5. I feel like I would actively play the older games more on the newer console if it was an option.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ThePanzini

I would love it if Sony setup a team and started bring back some legacy titles with improvements, but its not going to happen. If you look at the Xbox most played chart outside a few titles COD/Skate 4 the general public doesn't care. Its also a shame that Xbox fumbled in probably the most import generation we've had, going forward backwords compatibility it almost guaranteed. Any good will or pressure Xbox had is wasted because most PS4 users will feel locked in to retain their library. ~4m PS5 sold so far and a quarter are new customers into the eco-system.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gtxforza

@judaspete said:

I hope so, but voted unlikely. Sucks because my PS3 has died on me before, and I'd love to get newer hardware that plays all my games. Not getting my hopes up though. BC is a lot of work and doesn't really sell consoles.

I feel sorry for your PS3 broke down, I've heard emulating PS3 games are so hard, it will be nightmarish for Sony to make them backwards compatible for their newer generations of PlayStation home consoles.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not likely.

PS1 and PS2 are relatively cheap and easy to emulate on modern hardware, but PS3 is both too modern and too different of an architecture to emulate properly, even on modern hardware.

Also, it is a lot more simple and economically sensitive to just resale some of their "greatest hits" on PSN.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtxforza: Just to be clear, I got my PS3 fixed and still play it regularly. I'm worried it will break down again someday though.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hermes said:

Not likely.

PS1 and PS2 are relatively cheap and easy to emulate on modern hardware, but PS3 is both too modern and too different of an architecture to emulate properly, even on modern hardware.

Also, it is a lot more simple and economically sensitive to just resale some of their "greatest hits" on PSN.

When Cerny was talking about the Tempest Engine he compared it to the Cell in PS3, which i think is the main problem with emulating the PS3. And apparently they have Metal Gear Solid 4 up and running on PC at 4K 60FPS. With the way Sony has been talking about backwards compatibility for sometime i don't honestly see them putting in the effort, but as a dude who just wants to play all of his old games on one console i like to keep my fingers crossed.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#13 fisk0  Moderator

I think it's unlikely that it will be added, but I also think it's inexcusable not to have it for the PS5 just as I thought for the PS4, which I skipped for that reason.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

PS1 and PS2 should be feasible, though we all know that it won't happen outside of the eventual PS5 homebrew.

PS3 is tricky thanks to it's architecture. We're better off on waiting for the RPCS3 team to make some more progress on their emulator.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gtxforza

@facelessvixen said:

PS1 and PS2 should be feasible, though we all know that it won't happen outside of the eventual PS5 homebrew.

PS3 is tricky thanks to it's architecture. We're better off on waiting for the RPCS3 team to make some more progress on their emulator.

It's true that PS3's architecture is a lot different compared to it's successors: PS4 and PS5.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I doubt we'll see anything beyond extending the library of PS1/2/3 games on PS Now.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No, because otherwise how else would they sell you Twisted Metal 3 for $30

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would but doubt it very much so. I still have my PS2(to play PS1 and 2 games), PS3 and PS4 all still hooked up.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@isomeri said:

I doubt we'll see anything beyond extending the library of PS1/2/3 games on PS Now.

For me, I may not subscribe to PS Now because I'm not into game streaming services in general.

gtxforza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish they would but doubt it very much so. I still have my PS2(to play PS1 and 2 games), PS3 and PS4 all still hooked up.

Me too, it's a good idea to keep legacy consoles in-case if you want to replay old games.

The same goes that I choose to keep my Xbox 360 since quite a lot of its games won't able to play on Xbox One.

Avatar image for blatantsavescum
BlatantSaveScum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it's likely to happen. I wish it was though, as I would have already played PS3 games on PS5. Perhaps the PS Now money is too sweet, or maybe there aren't enough players using BC games for Sony to consider them important.