Head tracking issues? Motion sickness? Let's have a poll.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Poll Head tracking issues? Motion sickness? Let's have a poll. (197 votes)

No head tracking issues, no motion sickness. Everything was fine. 14%
Slight head tracking issues, no motion sickness. No big deal. 11%
Several head tracking issues, some motion sickness. It wasn't good. 3%
Severe head tracking issues and motion sickness. I had to stop. 1%
I only tried PS VR a little bit--store demo, friends house, etc--but everything was fine. 6%
I only tried PS VR a little bit--store demo, friends house, etc--but I still had issues. 3%
I haven't tried PSVR yet, but I'd really like to. 43%
I haven't tried PSVR yet, and I don't really care to. Why am I in this thread again? 20%

So when your brain tells your head that you're not moving, but your eyes tell your brain that you are moving, your stomach tells your half-digested lunch to please leave your body. I don't want to get all technical on you all, but that kind of thing can happen in VR, and since people have been reporting issues with head tracking, I thought I'd post a poll and see how small that "vocal minority" actually is, and if they even are a minority. I'm pretty sure they are, thankfully.

VR games. Sony has them:

For me personally, I'm happy to say that I've had no real issues. The most disoriented I've felt so far came from playing Scavenger's Odyssey, while strafing in one direction and quickly looking in another. This gave me a really convincing feeling of motion that felt pretty weird at first. I did get used to it, though, and it never made me feel sick.

Too bad the game itself isn't very good. Nothing in the "VR Worlds" pack-in game is all that good, IMO. I'd rather play the standard demo disc or the free download of Playroom VR.

I've heard DriveClub VR can be a bit rough too. I'll have to try that one in the coming days, but so far things have been great. What about you?

• 
LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By LeStephan

Smooth turning in the assembly is the only thing that has made me feel really carsick so far but that has just been updated with 'improved headtracking' so ill have to try it again. And I've had 1 day where the tracking was as bad as with gb's stream. Its been fine since though and when it works its awesome imo.... Dont really know what I should vote for. EDIT: I went for the second option.

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By WynnDuffy

I don't have PSVR so I didn't vote, but I do have a Vive and often play games with analog movement (no teleporting) and have never experienced any discomfort or motion sickness.

People need to man up (just kidding).

I do think games should take people with extreme tolerances into account more often, there are so many games I gave up playing because the teleporting around makes them tedious to play.

They should give us the option for analog movement or teleportion, some games allow both at the same time.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By Sergio

I so far haven't had any problems with it. I tend to get motion sickness if I play over 20 minutes of any "3D" game, e.g. Uncharted, Doom. Perhaps it's because I haven't played any VR games that copy FPS movements.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really sure how to answer. I'm definitely getting the everything is moving thing that Jeff complained about but I don't notice unless I'm looking for it. In games where they show the Dual Shock, that thing is always moving.

I've also had the problem of everything creepy to the left that Brad had in Thumper. I mostly notice it in theatre mode, but it's a nuisance because I've been using it with my Xbox and there's no easy way to recentre the screen without resetting it.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No problems whatsoever. I however changed my mind about Driveclub VR after reading how many people it made sick.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was doing ok with most games until the shooting section of The London Heist. Something didn't match up and I instantly became queasy. And whatever that Double Fine demo was, thought I was going to go into vomiting seizures.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Only headset i haven't gotten to try, so am pretty curious to see how this polls.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

Only headset i haven't gotten to try, so am pretty curious to see how this polls.

I'm curious as well. Before the release, Sony had all sorts of people going to places like Best Buy and Game Stop to setup and supervise demo units, but that has to be expensive. I don't know if they're continuing that or not. If so, I can't imagine them doing it for very long.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I do think games should take people with extreme tolerances into account more often, there are so many games I gave up playing because the teleporting around makes them tedious to play.

Even as someone who has only messed with Samsung Gear VR for a few days (Returned it, along with my Note 7 sad day) the prevalence of the "teleport to move" stuff has almost completely unsold me on VR, it makes even the coolest game look cheap. I just want to play a game like Alien: Isolation and use a controller like normal, I just want to be immersed in the same kinds of games I was already playing, imagine Battlefield 1 right now but I can just look around ala ARMA, why that isn't the norm is beyond me I feel like the industry doubled down way to hard on the not making anyone sick thing, even if it is an issue.

mchood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A bit late to the party but my experience on purchase was one of slight tracking issues with a quick setup. After setting up properly I was having HORRENDOUS tracking problems way worse than on the inital GB stream, almost instantaneous sickness. I spent a week and some very uncomfortable evenings working through each issue and now my experience is 100%, no tracking problems at all, no juddering, no drift and basically never have to recentre. It is worth taking the time to get your setup perfect even if it is acceptable now, having not even a hint of quiziness afterwards makes you just want to play it all the more. If anyone wants I could list all my issues and what worked and what didnt, it might help them.

Also for anyone on the fence about VR you have to try it, it is amazing and a glimpse into the future. Often the GB crew and other reviewers seem a bit meh about VR and I can understand why, since they been using it for a couple of years now, but trust me when its your first time it truely is an incredible experience. Heres to hoping all the headsets sell well enough to justify big name developers to make better quality games.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing around with YouTube I found this cool roller coaster channel https://m.youtube.com/user/themeparkreviewTPR. While its not VR, if you make the screen maxed out it still feels pretty cool. Vids are 60 fps.