Are polygonal Pokemon cuter than sprites?

TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Are polygonal Pokemon cuter than sprites? (85 votes)

Yes, they are cuter 72%
No, sprites were cuter 7%
More or less the same 19%

The question is in the title.

I picked up Y this week since it seems like the consensus is that the games are good this generation, however, I was wholly unprepared for how cute the Pokemon are in the beginning of the game. Now, I've seen a polygonal Pikachu before and it's cuteness was well known to me, but I've let out multiple audible "awws" upon encountering the likes of Azurill, Litleo, Combee, Charmander, Squirtle, Torchic, and numerous others. I think it has to do with the idle animations, which are all just great. My Azurill, for example, bounces up and down on her tail-ball and just looks so goddamn happy the whole time that I don't even want to battle. And that's to say nothing of Pokemon-amie, which is even cuter since you can pet your Pokemon and give them little eclair-like treats and they nibble on them and it's so adorable. Anyone else feel the same?

• 
probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

As much as I love the sprites, I think the animation goes a long way in making the polygonal Pokemon seem cuter.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fennekin is the cutest starter on Earth.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The models in this game look fantastic, especially the rounder pokemon like snorelax or slowpoke, and yep cute pokemon are looking cute.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Fuck, I have to buy Pokemon Black/White/2 if I want to transfer my Pokemon up into X/Y? Eurgh.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Scrawnto

The animation is really what does it. They can really bring out the cuteness. Azurill in particular has a design that I always thought was sort of dumb, but which totally works for me when animated. Since this amount of animation would be darn near impossible with sprites, I think the move to polygonal graphics was the right choice.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@scrawnto: Zigzagoon's animation is amazeballs.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Definitely. Just wait 'til you get that new Eevee evolution if you haven't already. I spoil that thing rotten.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Pretty much.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Julmust

Yes. But as said earlier, the animations is what really does it.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's the animation as well as the graphics, but in addition to that I think that they really made sure to make the pokemon feel more like creatures in this game, especially with stuff like Pokemon-amie allowing you to pet/feed them.

Krataur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

smokeyd123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes. A thousand times, yes. FENNEKIN IS SO DAMN CUTE.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krataur: Bulbasaur doesn't have adorable ear hair! Fennekin wins!

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By WinterSnowblind

The 3D models are definitely far better than the sprites, especially with the cel shaded look to them.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never knew Zubat flapped so fast haha

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely. As others have said, if the old sprites were more heavily animated there might be some competition, but as it stands, there isn't.

I particularly like how the new graphical style actually lets you see your own pokemon, rather than just having that really awkward back-of-the-head sprite to stare at.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck, I have to buy Pokemon Black/White/2 if I want to transfer my Pokemon up into X/Y? Eurgh.

Wait really? Well now I'm pissed off...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only in X/Y. Just about every other 3D rendition of Pokemon until now has pretty much looked like garbage.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zalrus9

Although, weren't most of the pokemon (Gen III and below) Given polygonal models for the gamecube games? I've foudn them to be very similar. I don't think they looked like garbage, but they're okay.

Although in general I prefer sprites to polygons any day of the week. Man, if Pokemon got some mode 7...

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Zeik

@zalrus9 said:

Although, weren't most of the pokemon (Gen III and below) Given polygonal models for the gamecube games? I've foudn them to be very similar. I don't think they looked like garbage, but they're okay.

Although in general I prefer sprites to polygons any day of the week. Man, if Pokemon got some mode 7...

The real difference comes down to the animations. From a pure graphics standpoint you might say they look similar, but actually watching the game in action everything feels completely soulless and lifeless.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer
Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

@starvinggamer said:

Wait really? Well now I'm pissed off...

At least according to the FAQ for the PokémonBank thing they're releasing in December. http://www.pokemonxy.com/en-us/strategy/

Also a $5 annual fee lol

Did you read that right? It included Black and White as well as 2. The $5 fee sucks but I guess it's more of a trade tax for those who regularly switch their crew from one game to the newer one.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StarvingGamer

@colourful_hippie: Sorry, when I typed Black/White/2 I meant Black and White and 2. I fell off after Diamond/Pearl. The reason the annual fee seems kinda silly to me is because these games don't even come out on an annual basis. At least not yet.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer said:

@colourful_hippie: Sorry, when I typed Black/White/2 I meant Black and White and 2. I fell off after Diamond/Pearl. The reason the annual fee seems kinda silly to me is because these games don't even come out on an annual basis. At least not yet.

It could be a monthly fee instead. Since you can store Pokemon in the bank indefinitely it wouldn't have surprised me if it had been.

aajf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember being baffled when Black and White screens began to emerge and the battles were still sprite-based, but now, remembering how dicey some 3D games looked on the DS and seeing how good these polygonal pokemon look on the 3DS, I'm really glad they waited. I think this was the perfect edition for the transition. They've really done the designs justice with the cel-shaded look.

I will say, though, that not all previous 3D renditions of pokemon have been hot garbage: popped pokemon stadium into my N64 relatively recently for a nostalgia trip, and I'm still pretty impressed with how that game looks.