Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Grabbed by the Ghoulies

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 21, 2003

Grabbed by the Ghoulies is a video game for Microsoft's Xbox video game system. It was an important chapter in Rare's history because it was the first Rare game to be released with Microsoft Game Studios as a publisher after being bought from Nintendo.

The Lost Gem Of Rare Replay

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

Edited By TheMasterDS

A lot of people are buying Rare Replay tomorrow (most preordered game of E3) and it's not hard to see why. 30 dollars for a large sack of 30 games is an incredible deal. And not just any games, huge, long, meaty games included! Games such as Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo-Kazooie, Banjo-Tooie, Perfect Dark, Kameo, Viva Pinata, even Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts. Any two of those games could justify the 30 dollar price even without the rest of the package. Amazing value, anyone can see that. However what you can miss is among those big meaty games is one game that's easy to miss because, well, everyone did miss it. It's not a tentpole game like the others I've mentioned. Indeed it was a commercial failure and only now will have a chance to unleash itself upon a wide audience. That game is Grabbed By The Ghoulies.

No Caption Provided
    This was before motion comics were a thing.
    This was before motion comics were a thing.

The story is simple. Cooper and Amber, an Englishman and an Englishlady respectively, are lost somewhere in the woods of South West Britain after a wrong turn and happen upon the very creepy Ghoulhaven Hall. Situation being what it is (a storm brewing) they pop their heads in and well things get hairy from there. The mansion is full of ghoulies! Nasty ghoulies, really burning hot ghoulies, misshapen ghoulies, televised ghoulies, wizard ghoulies, hairy ghoulies, even nice friendly ghoulies. All sorts of ghoulies! The thick of it is that Cooper openly speculates that the Mansion is owned by a freak which sends Baron von Ghoul, the owner, into a rage. He sends a pair of ghoulies to grab Amber to teach them some manners. The game is super corny lighthearted fun and is told in a silent movie style where the dialog appears in black boxes to musical stings. Its also got a huge cast of characters ranging from the Hagrid like groundskeeper Fiddlesworth Dunfiddlin (whose exclamations such as "pick my plums!" and "sniff my snapdragon!" are the best) to the dependable and resourceful Ma Soupswill.

Ghost Door wants a piece of Cooper
    Ghost Door wants a piece of Cooper

The meat of the game is punching and kicking various ghoulies in a vaguely arcadey way. You run around with your left stick and kick and punch in the direction you tilt your right stick. Sort of like Too Human only not a pile of wank. It played as a melee duel joystick shooter/brawler and kept things fresh throughout the game by introducing new enemies and combining various challenges, conditions and weapons in fun ways. The game is divided into rooms. Most rooms start quiet. Nothing much going on. There's a little suspense, you know, a little mystery. Wham! The doors swing shut with a slam. Cooper yelps. Skeletons burst from paintings, you're told to not kill the Haunted Coat (if you cock that up an air guitar playing Grim Reaper will come try to kill you Spelunky Ghost style) and you're off to work. You grab an onion gun, you shoot a few skeletons, pistol whip them and the walking television too and exit through the door! Provided its an actual door and not a decoy.

I don't want to seem cocky but I totally beat Challenge 21.
    I don't want to seem cocky but I totally beat Challenge 21.

This may seem especially strange but I recommend actually you don't just play it once. I recommend you keep going and I'll tell you why. The combat for me of this game didn't click until I went through Challenge 21 which is basically Super Hard Mode. In it you play as Amber instead of Cooper and you get no health/speed/whatever pick ups and only have enough health to withstand 1 hit. Basically you have to be perfect. The prereqs to playing the mode are pretty stiff- you have to get all the collectible books in the main game and do the 20 previous challenges which are one off things. But if you're looking to have a ball with a really hard challenge it's one of the best in Rare Replay.

The Rare family of games has many gems and this is one of them. It's probably not the best gem, it's probably not the most polished gem. It's not the deepest gem nor the most beautiful gem. What it is is a simple little gem that's pretty charming and no one played. Now that with Rare Replay you'll likely own a copy of this lost gem you should probably give it a go. It's not the meatiest game, but it's got it where it counts! Don't give it the shaft!

(Note: The name of the game "Grabbed by the Ghoulies" is a double entendre in the UK since there Goolies means is another word for balls. This was the whole reason they made the game.)

Lazyimperial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Oh yeah, this was a good time. So looking forward to revisiting it. :-)

Macka1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Macka1080

This was the one game back in the day that I always wanted to check out, but never managed to do so. Being a big fan of Rare, it's great that one of the last traditional Rare games is going to see a bit more fanfare than it did so many years ago.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Listen man, you and me are right here when it comes to most of Rare's stuff, be it Donkey Kong Country or Banjo-Kazooie, but I cannot go down this road with you. I'm just gonna leave the blog I wrote about Grabbed by the Ghoulies two years ago here.

BRG9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hah, thanks for explaining the punny name at the end there. I had no idea.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super happy with how this showed in the QL. Of all the games to get an HD Remake it's awesome this one was one of them.

Also fuck yeah, ha, you do drop elbows on skeletons! That's never not great!

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For years, all I ever knew of this game was that there was a bunch of speculation when it was announced that it would be a follow-up to Bad Fur Day because of the double entendre title, and that it later turned out not to be that, and then everybody hated it because reasons.

The Rare Reply QL made me want to check it out, though. Won't have an Xbone any time soon, but I'll be keeping an eye out for the original version. Even if the gameplay doesn't blow my skirt up, I love the look of it.

myniceicelife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Never played it originally and gave it a try in Rare Replay and enjoyed it a lot. I'll probably keep playing through it.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I expected this to be about the Battletoads arcade game.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree 100%. This game is full of Rare charm and I thought the combat was pretty cool too. I have to admit I'm a sucker for a whimsical haunted house, but I really think this game's personality makes it worth a play. Hopefully now a bunch more people own it, they can see more of its redeeming qualities.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Never really knew too much about this game as I never owned an Xbox so I simply skipped over it but in the QL, I must say this game looked fucking sharp. I assume if this got some sort of HD treatment.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: Yeah it got remastered for sure. You can tell since a lot of cut scenes are 3 by 4 and it snaps back to HD for gameplay. Looks gorgeous!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.