Would you get the Future quadruple if it was remastered? I'm also playing the remake of one.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The remake of Ratchet & Clank is now free on the PS4. It being put out on PS Plus is probably (or definitely is) not gaining a lot of attraction compared to Bloodborne which is also free for now, but I already have Bloodborne, so I got Ratchet & Clank and started playing it. I was hesitant to get it when it came out because my only experience with the series was Tools of Destruction and A Quest for Booty, and would have preferred to go through the original version first. I was super excited for A Crack in Time but never ended up getting it, and I just checked, and again remembered that Into the Nexus was even a game: the end to the Future story. In playing this remake, I am really enjoying it a lot.

I started it on hard to get the most out of it since I feel these games, at least in my experience, aren't all that challenging. It's helping make me appreciate the different weaponry. Aside from that, it seems to be a really good game in general. It has good music and astounding visuals. I'm still disappointed that I didn't play the PS2 games though. Anyways, with the topic question, would you buy a 1080p/4K/60fps remaster of the four Future games? I would because at this point I don't think I'll be going back to the PS3 anytime soon, but would love to play the ones I didn't play, and replay the ones I did on a harder difficulty. It might be hard to go back to them visually since this most recent one is incredibly good looking, but the PS3 games were also very good looking games too and might hold up fine with higher resolution. I think they already went for 60fps but weren't consistent.

I don't remember if they control the same; they feel similar from what I remember, but if not, I would hope that they control like this remake because it's totally fine. Obviously, we all want new games, and I know many people are tired of the remasters, but I like playing old games too with some nice updates for current-gen and would love to play the Future games on PS4. How about you?

fetterdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I would buy a remastered collection of the Future games in a heartbeat. Love, love, love those games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3  Edited By Nodima

I think R&C generally has an art style that's incredibly well suited to HD Remastering. This is Going Commando, released in 2003:

No Caption Provided

Since I played a lot of games in this style at the time, even though R&C was arguably the best of them I burned out after Up Your Arsenal and never played the PS3 generation. I loved the update to the original game, played it on Hard like you and actually enjoyed it so much I immediately started a second playthrough to continue upgrading my weapons, something I can honestly say I haven't done since my elementary/middle school days when R&C was in its heyday.

That said, since my nostalgia is highest for the PS2 era of the series, I'd be a surer bet if they just gave Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal the same treatment they gave the original; at the same time, they did cheat a bit by making the weapons list a bit of a Hall of Fame of weapons from across the series, so I wonder how much novelty there would be in another one without them going back to the drawing board and coming up with more original weaponry.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the remake is an extremely disappointing version, which removes content from the original game in favor of copy and pasting scenes from the movie reminiscent to half baked movie tie ins multiple decades ago, while adding a constant nagging tutorial aimed at catering to a very young audience who doesn't need it.
So no, at least not the team responsible for that mess.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By MattGiersoni

I would take a PS4 remaster of any pack of Ratchet and Clank games, they are just such good and awesome platformers. PS3 games would probably look and play great simply uprezzed. Ugh, I envy Xbox owners all the BC goodies they have, all previous playstation consoles had such awesome games I'd love to revisit, without the hassle of buying the original console or using PSNow (which I would try if it was available in more than like 6 countries, wtf sony). PS5 better have at least PS4 BC, no crazy architecture this time so it shouldn't be too costly or difficult like Cell BC.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

A Crack in Time was legit great. I don't think I would double dip but a pepped up Future Collection wouldn't be a bad thing. Tools didn't have trophies and that's probably a good enough reason these days.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@cikame said:

I think the remake is an extremely disappointing version, which removes content from the original game in favor of copy and pasting scenes from the movie reminiscent to half baked movie tie ins multiple decades ago, while adding a constant nagging tutorial aimed at catering to a very young audience who doesn't need it.

So no, at least not the team responsible for that mess.

It was a remake, not a remaster.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably so, I enjoyed the Future games a good bit. I would also like to see a remaster of the Resistance games.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

Yeah, I really want to try out some other games in the series since the remake was awesome. I would be super for this.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

The ps3 era Ratchet games didn't do much for me, so probably not. Also in Hindsight the remake of the original was incredibly disappointing.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I'd be all for it. Any excuse to play those games again, they're all pretty fantastic.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I had no beef with the PS4 remake of the original. I thought it was quite well done. The PS2 games were already remastered for the PS3, so those exist if you want an unmolested version. I would probably check out a future collection, although probably mostly for convenience since I don't think those games can really look much better.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattgiersoni: I agree. The Xbox One's BC is fantastic, and it's a shame Sony didn't adopt that. It comes off as a little greedy on their part in my opinion.

@cikame: Yeah, I've heard about that. I saw a lot of a video (not all of it because it was long) of someone dissecting the differences between the original and the remake and saying why he felt the original was better. It's another reason why I'm disappointed that I didn't play the original. That said, I am happy that I am enjoying the remake. I enjoy the gameplay and exploring, that said, I can agree that they shouldn't have tried to connect it so much with the movie. I tried watching that movie when it became free on Netflix (I think it was Netflix) and I couldn't finish it because it was a bore. They strip those same scenes out of the film and put it into the game, and it's not very effective in telling a story. The only reason it's okay (while also not being okay to many fans) is if you know the characters well enough, otherwise, it comes off as pretty bland in terms of telling a story with its cutscenes.

---

Heck, I would buy an entire Ratchet & Clank series remaster and go through them all. I just added the PS3 games because I think that's the most realistic package we'd get in terms of a remaster.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By NTM

I don't want to get all pessimistic about any of it, but I thought I'd post this and see if anyone agrees.

Loading Video...

I can understand the character arc point, but otherwise, I am fine with everything else the game offers. It's true that the new game puts its training wheels on heavily with Quark spewing the same thing incessantly when you do a thing you can't do, but even that at moments can be funny to me. I take it his narration is a new thing that the original didn't have, but some of it is funny.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the old Ratchet and Clank games (I was a Jak and Daxter kind of guy) and I'm enjoying the hell out of the remake since it was on PS+. Aside from how gorgeous the game is, the moment that cemented the game for me was when I threw a minirobot into lava and they did the Terminator thumbs up. Don't know if that was in the original, but I thought it was pretty good.

As far as the cutscenes go, I'm a little confused in some areas. Ratchet drops Clank off at the gamer lady and says "See you later!" as if they were both going to get their own mini-sections. The very next scene Clank rushes in and rejoins Ratchet. Felt weird but I don't know if that's from movie/remake interference or what. Every now and then they'll be self-referential and break the 4th wall a bit, but so far they've only been minor jokes.

LeStephan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By LeStephan

Nope, im pretty much against porting over ps3 era games unless they were originally fucked up, and especially not if its the same guys that did the R&C hd collection. That one is sloppy as hell, missing alpha effects, missing filters, inside out geometry on characters(ALL characters eyes are inside out, its insane, especially as nobody seems to notice it until its pointed out to them), worse collision than the original, stretched out menus, sound fx glitches, music tracks looping at the halfway point and more.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How about just making new R&C games ? i am up for that.