#1 Posted by DriveupLife (1214 posts) -

Topic got deleted while I was trying to edit :(

THQ Nordic just dropped this bombshell.

https://thqnordic.com/article/red-faction-guerrilla-re-mars-tered-edition-coming-pc-and-consoles

Are you ready to get your ass back to Mars?

#2 Posted by VierasTalo (1431 posts) -

Ahem

Re-Mars-Ter

#3 Posted by ShaggE (9215 posts) -

They just HAD to call it that, didn't they? Fiiine, take my moneys.

(and somebody get James Marsters on the horn. I'm sensing a marketing opportunity)

#4 Posted by Mike (17983 posts) -

I think I got Red Faction Guerrilla on Steam for $1 a few years ago during a sale. Great game, but I don't see myself buying a remaster just for updated graphics.

#5 Posted by OurSin_360 (6119 posts) -

Seems like this is all thQ nordic does? I also bought it on steam for a dollar, played a couple hours and had my fill though.

#6 Edited by whitegreyblack (1949 posts) -

@mike: People who bought on Steam get the remarster upgrade for free

#7 Edited by NTM (11570 posts) -

Eh. I was pretty disappointed by the game, but over time I did become to appreciate the soundtrack and I think the running around mars gameplay feels decent. I didn't care for the focus on destruction and I never finished the game because the story was super bland and environments weren't great (plus, you destroy everything mitigating the necessity for it to even be interesting). The vehicle design and color palette of the world was decent though. The first Red Faction is still my favorite and wish they made another one in the same vein. I might get the remaster; not sure though. I guess I would like to finish it and the remaster might have enough 'new' to grab me.

#8 Edited by MattGiersoni (587 posts) -

YES! I am so into this! Open world is my jam! The destruction was so amazing in this one. It was a ton of fun on PS3. A few years ago I got the new and improved "steam version" and it still holds up. I will definitely play it! Again! Armageddon was a super dissapointment being underground and kinda linear, but Guerrilla rules!

#9 Posted by ripelivejam (13106 posts) -

THQ Nordic: We're an original creation, like Ricky Rouse or Monald Muck!

#10 Edited by Jaalmo (1744 posts) -

I'm pretty stoked about this. I loved this game back when it came out and it was a damn shame old THQ screwed up the sequel with Armageddon. I hope this attains enough interest for a proper sequel.

#11 Posted by DriveupLife (1214 posts) -

THQ Nordic is a fresh company and they need to collect some more wins. I've always believed that if remasters sell well, it provides evidence that a new game would be profitable. I think the destruction engine on PS4 or PS5 hardware would be ridiculous and awesome. Can't wait to play multiplayer again as well! I never got the emu hammer in 2010

#12 Edited by cikame (2707 posts) -

I JUST played it again a few months ago on PC, battling audio issues throughout, but still enjoyed it.

#13 Edited by Kidavenger (4417 posts) -

I hope they aren't wasting Volition's time with this.

That studio is on in the brink and needs to put out something brilliant or bust.

#14 Posted by Jaalmo (1744 posts) -

@werupenstein said:

I hope they aren't wasting Volition's time with this.

That studio is on in the brink and needs to put out something brilliant or bust.

They're not remastering this game. It's another developer. But I'm not sure what you want Volition to do exactly though.

#15 Posted by Rorie (5635 posts) -

I think they'd have to add some content to get me to play through this again; I've already played it a few times and I don't know that I really would want to do it all from the beginning just for the sake of nicer graphics.

Staff
#16 Posted by Rorie (5635 posts) -

Vienna/Austria, March 29th, 2018; THQ Nordic Red Faction Guerrilla will be fully re-Mars-tered (pun proudly intended) and released on PC, PlayStation®4 and across the Xbox One family of devices including Xbox One X in Q2 2018. The game will go by the name of Red Faction Guerrilla Re-Mars-tered and "destruction" will remain its middle name.

Is that even a pun, really?

Staff
#17 Posted by Dispossession (155 posts) -

Never played it. Should I?

#18 Edited by MillaJ (287 posts) -

@dispossession: It's a fun game with a cool gimmick that doesn't wear out its welcome. The game is only about 10-20 hours. Considering how cheap it is now, it's easy to recommend.

This remaster doesn't seem very appealing for anyone who's already played it unless they add something beyond a fresh coat of paint. Not enough to shell out more money, anyway.

#19 Edited by csl316 (14946 posts) -

It's a hell of a game. Been awhile since I played but the destruction never got old. Not just that, though, it was also a well-designed open world that seemed intent on maximizing fun. The weapon system was well done, I liked the story, and the challenge to complete everything was just right. Even the multiplayer was clever and hard to put down.

And it's the first Giant Bomb Quick Look I saw!

#20 Posted by Rorie (5635 posts) -

@millaj said:

@dispossession: It's a fun game with a cool gimmick that doesn't wear out its welcome. The game is only about 10-20 hours. Considering how cheap it is now, it's easy to recommend.

This remaster doesn't seem very appealing for anyone who's already played it unless they add something beyond a fresh coat of paint. Not enough to shell out more money, anyway.

Yeah, if you've never played it before I'd recommend giving it a whirl, with price being a caveat. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but if it's a decent remaster, it'd be fun at 20 bucks or so.

Staff
#21 Posted by Dispossession (155 posts) -
Avatar image for opusofthemagnum
#22 Posted by OpusOfTheMagnum (647 posts) -

Man I loved that game. I still keep hoping we will see a 3.0 of that tech. Nothing wasn't fun to blow up in that game, but some stuff definitely could have been way more fun with a lot more processing power to handle more destruction.

Hope there's a quick look for this "re-mars-ter or whatever.

#23 Posted by onarum (3212 posts) -

@whitegreyblack said:

is this confirmed? if so that's pretty neat, just the other day I was considering playing it again, I beat it on the PS3 a looooooong time ago and really loved it, got the steam version god knows when but never touched it tough.

#24 Posted by Shiftygism (857 posts) -

Good game, but even with fast travel options, the driving was such a snooze (it literally put me to sleep a few times), needed *gasp* flying vehicles.

#25 Posted by Mikemcn (8566 posts) -

@onarum said:

@whitegreyblack said:

is this confirmed? if so that's pretty neat, just the other day I was considering playing it again, I beat it on the PS3 a looooooong time ago and really loved it, got the steam version god knows when but never touched it tough.

RPS said the same, Was just thinking about reinstalling on steam, now I have all the more reason to once it's released! I'm pumped!

#26 Edited by whitegreyblack (1949 posts) -
#27 Posted by notnert427 (2158 posts) -

YES. I love this game. It's been long enough that I'd probably play through the whole thing again. I'm in. Also, on a slightly related note, I'm a Burnout Revenge remaster or backwards compatibility announcement away from being able to ditch my 360 entirely.