• 88 results
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Fredchuckdave

A bit too early to tell but I'm guessing I'll eventually view it as slightly inferior to RE5 which was a large step down from RE4 which is one of the best games of all time; but 2 steps down from RE4 isn't too horrible. The tutorial blows ass and the new mechanics are extremely poorly explained, but once you figure out that you shoot zombies in the hand/arm to set up badass melees it gets fun again; also running jump kicks and pretty nifty combo moves. QTEs are annoying but mostly avoidable, we'll have to see how some of them are on Professional.

Mercenaries is way easier/simpler but still a lot of fun, I enjoy challenges but I can deal with a game that isn't particularly hard but winds up being fun anyway (e.g. Tomb Raider). Note if I was dumb enough to think the original Resident Evil games were "good" at their core I might have a continuous nostalgia boner like some MGS4 fans do, but I think that's a relatively apt comparison, except MGS4 had like 5 hours of gameplay and RE6 has 50+. For 15 bucks a nice deal. Head exploding elbow drops and DDTs.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Carry on playing it.

The more you play, the shitter it gets. FACT.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@fourwude said:

Carry on playing it.

And it starts off pretty shitty, if you ask me. So that's an accomplishment.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Yes, it is, in fact, too bad. Just you wait.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I was looking at the community page for this game on Steam over the weekend, there was some pretty wacky stuff posted, made me want to give the game a shot, maybe I'll pick it up next time it's on sale.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones

I've been playing it again and still enjoy it. If your issue was the camera the new settings fix that as you can now adjust it entirely. However, there are some truly terrible parts in the game that you need to look out for. Leon's final boss(es) are a fucking atrocity

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

That would be a great back-of-the-box quote: "This game's not too bad"

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Quarters

@fourwude said:

Carry on playing it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through...so no?

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I played it for the 1st time a couple months ago. It fucking sucks.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm okay with people liking it, but it is still a terrible game.

I got used to it being broken, but re-doing the same moments with different characters was fucking duuumb.

rjpelonia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I concur. I quite enjoyed it. I can see why some people wouldn't like it and I can at least agree the writing for the story is a garbled mess, but I still had quite a bit of fun going through the main three stories co-op and unlocking all the alternate costumes in Mercenaries.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@quarters said:

@fourwude said:

Carry on playing it.

I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through...so no?

I'll second this. I quite enjoyed it actually. I'm not blind. There are flaws but nothing that kept me from having a good time.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By ESREVER

I've been enjoying my playthrough of it as well. I'm doing the main 3 campaigns with a friend, and I played the Ada one by myself. We're through Leon's campaign and in the middle of Chris'.

This whole negative view on it just reminds me of the FFXIII debacle. Which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

I also don't have a strong attachment to either series' past entries. Sooo, maybe thats it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@esrever: Well FFXIII had a legitimately good, challenging combat system, I wouldn't stretch to say that about RE6 (it's okay, most of the good stuff is buried in loading screen tips), and of course the metacritic isn't that bad for FFXIII just a lot of whining after the fact. Linearity serves to strengthen the plot so you've got FFXIII for plot (minus Hope who can dive off a cliff of course) and gameplay and FFXII for exploration/world detail, I thought it a decent follow-up experience.

Fierrze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought this when it was on sale for 15€

I have to say that even though this game have some major flaws, but the gameplay loop is soo fun. Stringing up ranged and melee attacks makes you feel like a bad ass.

Also do not try to play this game in singleplayer, because it is fucking horrible. Splitscreen or online co-op is the way to go.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Yeah, this game's not awful. Well, some parts of it are awful.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By MooseyMcMan

Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Ashwyn

Well considering how much this game cost to make and all the promotions for it, i don't think capcom was going for the ''it's alright for $15''.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I'm still waiting for the game to reach the $20 mark so I can justify buying it to myself. For your own part, I understand that they patched the QTEs to be easier and less of a hassle, though I don't imagine that fixes a lot of the problems people have with that game.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be a great back-of-the-box quote: "This game's not too bad"

My thoughts exactly, except with one small fix: "This game's not too bad"

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

No, aside from some technical stuff and a few other aspects, I'm also on the side that thought the game was great. I'm not going to argue about the game being great or not, that time has passed, and it's just something everyone has to accept: some things are polarizing, and I feel that RE6, while to some was poor, actually did better critically and I assume financially than a game like Aliens: Colonial Marines or the latest Star Trek game, which I can see some people comparing it to, which I can't do myself.

I feel like it matches RE5 in how good it is, and though I didn't initially like RE5, after a while I thought it was 'really great'; not just great, but not quite superb. I hope you enjoy it through, and don't do Ada's mission at the beginning. The latest updates did add some good stuff, but also added unneeded aspects that could potentially make the campaign a little worse, and all of that has to do with adding co-op to Ada's campaign, as well as letting you play it first. I feel like anyone that says "It's OK if you enjoy it, but the game factually does suck." isn't correct.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing it again and still enjoy it. If your issue was the camera the new settings fix that as you can now adjust it entirely. However, there are some truly terrible parts in the game that you need to look out for. Leon's final boss(es) are a fucking atrocity

Hopefully you're not referring to the moment where you have to climb the pole, that is only a problem on co-op if your friend or sibling isn't fast enough as Helena to climb, so you have to slow down until you can go, 'cause if not you're both going to fall. I liked the final bosses, though the character wasn't much of anything. I like the co-op, but I enjoy the single player better.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not too bad. I quite enjoyed it myself. Though I thought removing the weapon upgrade system was quite a bummer.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm said:

@sackmanjones said:

Hopefully you're not referring to the moment where you have to climb the pole, that is only a problem on co-op if your friend or sibling isn't fast enough as Helena to climb, so you have to slow down until you can go, 'cause if not you're both going to fall. I liked the final bosses, though the character wasn't much of anything. I like the co-op, but I enjoy the single player better.

Nope, I had no issues with any of the QTE, Im saying specifically the fighting portions of the last parts were pretty terrible in my opinion.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sackmanjones: Aw, alright. I assumed it could be either way since you weren't specific, I just find it that most people complain about that part when there's really no reason to. As for the final bosses, I liked them, though the very final one on pro was a little monotonous after a while.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@megalombax: I think the alternate upgrade system more than sufficed, though I do still like the way RE4 and RE5 did it.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By Justin258

@fredchuckdave: When you beat it, or at least put more time into it, are you going to give us an update? I've played some games where my first impressions were "this isn't that bad" followed by "whoa, this really is bad". Ahem, Red Faction Armageddon.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I feel like you can see where RE6 could have been really good, but it lacks a distinct drive and vision and is bloated with too many terrible ideas that should have been left on the cutting room floor. I think the mechanics are actually pretty damn cool, they could have been implemented and taught to the player better, though. I think part of the problem is that to some extent the mechanics feel like they were made completely seperately from the enemy and level design, the game just doesn't really leverage the things it adds to the player's abilities. That said, I had a bunch of fun messing around in Mercenaries mode and I recommend that anyone skeptical watch a couple of videos of people playing the mode. I'm not saying anyone should buy the game based on that, just merely that RE6 isn't all bad...it's just a lot bad. I don't believe it's the irredeemable pile of junk Brad & Patrick would have you think it is though.

There are parts of RE6 I really enjoyed but there are also parts that I absolutely couldn't stand.

This sums it up perfectly.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By Yummylee

It's been patched pretty extensively since its release so it's no doubt an awful lot less busted than it was come launch day. Even still with that said, Fuck Resident Evil 6. Stupid jet flying, QTE-infested, clumsy, dumb POS. It's still a helluva lot better than Operation Raccoon City least...

Mercenaries mode is OK, though, but even then I'd rather just play RE5's when given the option.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#30  Edited By StarvingGamer

@esrever said:

This whole negative view on it just reminds me of the FFXIII debacle. Which I also thoroughly enjoyed.

FFXIII had one the best combat systems in the entire genre. RE6 takes everything that was good about the combat-puzzle of RE5 and flushes it down the toilet.

They don't compare in the slightest.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Avatar image for leifanghelenafan
LeiFangHelenaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sorry. But it IS that bad. It's the Soul Calibur V of the Resident Evil series, or, in other words, the blacksheep.:P

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Baillie

You know what games are awful? Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil Code Veronica.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Yeah, I think it's fine. I feel like the hatred was kinda overplayed when it came out.

johnsublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game was hilarious for me and my mates to play through. Yeah it is pretty terrible but it does make it all the more glorious.

The amount of time we wasted playing around with the "conversation system" between ourselves was embarassing. We just found it so funny to fuck about with whenever we would come across one of the many co-op doors or ledges or whatevers.

The opening cinematic of Chris' campaign with him in the bar is one of the most hilarious openings I've ever seen too.

Enjoy it for what it is and have a laugh at it when it starts to get really stupid.

And never forget Piers. He is a hero to us all

smooie1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36  Edited By smooie1

The game was hilarious for me and my mates to play through. Yeah it is pretty terrible but it does make it all the more glorious.

The amount of time we wasted playing around with the "conversation system" between ourselves was embarassing. We just found it so funny to fuck about with whenever we would come across one of the many co-op doors or ledges or whatevers.

The opening cinematic of Chris' campaign with him in the bar is one of the most hilarious openings I've ever seen too.

Enjoy it for what it is and have a laugh at it when it starts to get really stupid.

And never forget Piers. He is a hero to us all

YEahh!!!!;)

loonongrass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't expecting great things from this game so when I got to playing it I just accepted it for what it was and was able to have quite a bit of fun with it. Story was crap but we're talking about resident evil here, I always just sit back and have a good laugh at it. Chris Redfield has become one of the most hilarious unintentional comedy characters.Vehicle segments were terrible but kind of enjoyed them because I miss average action games shoehorning in terrible driving sections. Control wise i thought it was actually alright, felt like a much faster and fluid resident evil 5. My major complaint about the game is lack of interesting enemy types but this has been a problem with capcom for a while now, not just resident evil. Old resident evil bosses I'd be like "Oh shit, this is awesome", now I'm more like "WTF is that supposed to be? Who came up with that?".

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#38  Edited By MachoFantastico

Yep, carry on playing. I thought it was pretty decent at first but it went downhill fast. Completed it myself, but it was a chore.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@believer258: Sure why not, I've played several levels in multiplayer which I'll probably keep doing (random hop-ins) until I have infinite ammo with something and have done the first level in Mercs with almost every character; Helena seems to have the fastest/most entertaining melee followed by Leon; but Samurai Chris just chucking a zombie is pretty amusing as well. How do you unlock more stages/characters (got all the costumes already)? o.O

I fought the train boss which I thought was actually kind of neat, I assume there's something worse after that. At least train Simmons was convertible and didn't just turn into a blob like most RE villains do, and sort of had some kind of functionality (cheetah/lion/gatling gun). The "Giant" BOWs were somewhat amusing to fight but one had the annoying QTE of doom. I do like having a "quick shot" with the stun rod/knife, makes them a lot more useful.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Yummylee

@fredchuckdave: You unlock a new stage per campaign for Chris and Jake, and to unlock new characters you need to score I think it's a B rank on each map. And to unlock each character's alternate costume I'm pretty sure you need to get an A with that character.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@yummylee: Ah, guess Leon's campaign is going on the back-burner then.

Here's a really huge issue I have with the game: why does the kick door animation only show up every once in a while? Moral of former Shinji Mikami games is fuck doors and ladders as proven by God Hand and Vanquish; all subsidiaries must follow; doors must be kicked!

johnsublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fredchuckdave: Depends on whether you just tap the action button or mash it like crazy. Similar sort of vein to the Arkham games quiet and angry vent opening animations.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnsublime: Well with Leon/Helena it's either push door open or push door open harder except for a handful of doors.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnsublime: Well with Leon/Helena it's either push door open or push door open harder except for a handful of doors.

It varies per campaign and what's happening. Since Leon's is meant to be more 'atmospheric' then the game often forces you to slowly open doors with no alternative during the Tall Oaks chapters, whereas in Chris' army-man campaign you're naturally just going to boot every door off its hinges.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@esrever said:

They don't compare in the slightest.

I wasn't comparing the games themselves, I was just saying that the backlash from the player base when the games were released was similar. At least to me to it was.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By EXTomar

RE6 is schizophrenic. It is like they brought in 4 teams to create 4 different games but later found out they couldn't complete any of them so they welded them together. FF13 was a case where the team stuck to "The Vision" for so long it became a problem. I'm not sure how they are comparable at all beyond "some people didn't like it".

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Had the same thought until the stealth section in Jake's campaign. I just didn't care enough to muster through it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I went through Chapter 1 and a bit of Chapter 2 of Chris' campaign playing as Piers (best character of all time) on Professional, and... it's fun? I mean I know how to play already and I have Firearms level 2/3 and Quick Reload, but the combat seems satisfying. It's annoying that you can't set up arm melees in this campaign for whatever reason but apart from that most of the stuff works out. I like how pistols and assault rifles feel when used correctly, sort of reminds me of the glorious Red-9 from RE4. Most of the mercs Shotguns don't feel too great though, which was also an issue in RE5 for most of the game; which is kind of baffling considering how great the shotguns were in RE4. Piers' anti-tank rifle is great.

Helena's Hydra is a pea shooter compared to the majestic masterpiece in RE5 but oh well, it would be kind of crazy overpowered to just have it in the campaign with lots of ammo. Professional is kind of a joke, QTEs are annoying but as long as you start doing the move before it begins you're set; so basically each required one takes two tries. Don't like that no healing items seem to drop ever except on Amateur, with the chapters being 5 hours long it's a bit tedious attempting a no death run with no healing items; but oh well once I get over dying it's a negligible death penalty.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fredchuckdave

I'm really digging how large the environments are, the first Resident Evil game that doesn't feel extremely linear (even though it is linear); RE4 that was an engine limitation so it's understandable but RE5 is a loading screen every few minutes or shorter pretty much.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's my favorite RE. Take that how you will.