6th Times the Charm: RE Village gets a tacked on multiplayer mode

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Panfoot

https://kotaku.com/capcom-announces-multiplayer-shooter-resident-evil-re-v-1846104586

Who at Capcom keeps thinking this is a good idea? Resistance was a flop, Umbrella Corp. should have never even been released, Operation Raccoon City certainly wasn't beloved, and I doubt many people even remember 5 and 6 even had pvp multiplayer. It's especially frustrating because there is good multiplayer Resident Evil like Revelations 2, and the Outbreak games would probably thrive way more now if they got re-released since online play is the standard now.

Normally I would just completely ignore a multiplayer mode like this, but it being attached to RE8 reminds me of how Resistence is packaged together with the RE3 remake, and how that was essentially to make up for RE3 remake's lack of content(outside the harder difficulties and a couple of unlockable weapons and 3 costumes, there is no Mercs mode despite original RE3 being the first game in the series to introduce it). Granted 7 didn't have that much extra in the base game either, but it at least had some pretty good DLC support, both free and paid, so hopefully they go that route...

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These are low percentage high reward gambles. Yes, Resident Evil multiplayer has so far been a flop (at least critically; we don't know the exact commercial numbers) but Capcom keeps trying because it's a big property and if they can get it to hit and become a live services game it can print money for them. They know just how much you can make off microtransactions in a popular multiplayer game and they are going to keep trying until they hit it.

Look at GTA V online. That thing has made billions. They are willing to keep taking the risk and putting these modes out in the hopes that one of them is good, catches on, and pays them back 100 times what it cost to put it together.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I totally agree with that's the motive, I just don't understand why they insist on trying to do it with PVP when PVE is such a more obvious approach for this series. Like, I could see a free to play co-op mercenaries mode game doing pretty well, or maybe some sort of dungeon crawler/loot game. Though maybe they don't try that because whatever unfortunate team who gets stuck with this stuff just doesn't have the support to make something other than the most basic deathmatch thing I suppose.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@panfoot: PVP is where the money is for these these modes, especially if you're not going to invest enough into them to make them a big thing on their own. If you look at the big live services hits they are all PVP focused or have some kind of major PVP component. You could argue that something like World of Warcraft (or even Destiny, though it's unclear how big a hit that has been) is mostly PVE with a small PVP component, but those were also multiplayer games from the ground up rather than tacked on modes.

On the other hand you have games like GTA V and Fortnite that used assets made for PVE and added a PVP mode and made literally billions of dollars.

PVE always gets boring after a while because you've seen all the scenarios and done everything. PVP can last forever because other humans are endlessly unpredictable and the metagame moves over time.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

Yeah, I dunno...the few seconds they showed of RE: Verse during the showcase looked appalling. Like, I don't necessarily want a PvP RE game at all, but I also don't think it would be that hard to make at least a half-way decent one. The problems with their previous attempts aren't even from just a design standpoint, though that does have a lot to do with it. The have pretty much all felt very under-developed and played like absolute shit. The RE3 Remake had great gameplay, and while Resistance looked the same on the surface, it doesn't have close to the same feel and just wasn't fun to engage with. I don't get how there can be such a disconnect between the simple FEEL of their single player versus their multiplayer offerings.

The fanbase has been clamoring for a new Outbreak for over a decade at this point. Capcom really ought to just remaster/remake the two games and put them out together. It would do quite well. They've been making pretty smart moves over the last 5 or 6 years, but they just don't learn when it comes to trying to make multiplayer Resident Evil work.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure that Capcom understand that Coop is better for the game but I guess they want to make competitive shooter of their own.

Strange is they went back to 3rd person view when the main game is in first person view?

Avatar image for bludgeonparagon
bludgeonParagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The only thing I'd like to see from PvP Resident Evil is asymmetrical boss/miniboss versus humans 1v4 or some sort of invasion-style format where players basically play as the zombies.

There's plenty of ways to skin this cat that don't just involve ordinary shootman deathmatch

Haz_Kaj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care. Let the single player be good.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I WANTED to like RE:SISTANCE, but they need to do more than just shove the game out the door and hope for the best.

The matchmaking was a bad joke, you literally COULDN'T GET INTO GAMES as the Overseer for the first two weeks, and after that: no one's going to give a shit, they're going back to Dead By Daylight and Friday the 13th!

They have a ton of potential with this license, it's zombies, it's monsters, it's overacting, cheesy weirdos overseeing it all! Just PUT IN THE EFFORT!!

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when you think Capcom has the RE franchise back on track with 7 and 2 remake they then put out 3 and remove like half the content of the original and to make up for it they include a MP mode that people stopped playing after a few months (if that). Now with Village they decide that another MP mode is what fans want instead of something like VR support. TBH for me the lack of VR has made 8 go from most anticipated game of 2021 to I'll just wait for the gold edition next year.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks sloppy and tacked on for sure, but at the same time it seems like a thing that's not going to detract from Village, so I'm not worried in that respect. I'm very excited about Village. It's probably the game I'm most excited about for this year.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: I'm mainly just worried about post release support, RE3 got nothing after release with Resistance getting all the support and after RE7 had a good bit of DLC I liked, I'd hate to see the same thing happen to Village, especially since stuff like Mercenaries mode and Raid mode have all but disappeared from the newer releases.