Just bought it. Is it still playable today?

Avatar image for crsadrnoremorse
CrsadrNoRemorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just bought this game for like 2 bucks on Steam. Loved Wolfenstein New Order. It seems like it good some really good reviews when it came out, but I was wondering if it still playable today and what do you guys think of it today.

It seems to be quite a bit less linear than the New Order and I just wanted to know if it has a lot of baggage from that era of shooters or not.

Thanks all y'all!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

RTCW is a great game. Definitely give it a try. It's multiplayer was eventually spun off into a standalone thing but I assume you're talking about the single player.

CrsadrNoRemorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You assume right, I'm only interested in the single player part of the game. Thanks for the recommendation, will check it out this evening!

Pavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why don't you play it and find out? :P

RTCW is a good game with a pretty fun campaign, though it has its frustrating moments. The one that stands out in my head is the beginning of the 2nd or 3rd chapter of the game where you fail the mission if an alarm is set off. You need to sneak around among the trees, and bad guys can spot you from pretty far away without much warning. Can be frustrating, though the stealth actually works pretty well in this game for the most part. It's still a loud shooter most of the time though. Great graphics and shooting mechanics, especially for the time. The weapons have punch and sparkle, and they feel powerful. Traditional health/armor, obligatory "tomb" segments (with undead enemies to boot), a rocket launcher mid-way through, late game super weapons -- it's a prototypical yet very well executed early 2000s FPS.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By glots

That's a bit odd to ask after buying the game, but I guess it's whatever with just two bucks lost.

Unlike with The New Order, the story of RTCW definitely doesn't hold up, since it wasn't exactly great to begin with. I watched the intro movie some time ago and it was the cheesiest fucking thing ever and not in a good way. I'd say it starts off okay, but kinda gets worse once things get more weird. The gameplay is alright (according to my memory, haven't touched the game in years), but nothing to write home about anymore. The graphics were a good selling point back in 2001, but as you can probably imagine, it's not going to make your jaw drop 16 years later.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault few months later was kinda the WW2 game to-go-to with the single player, while Wolfenstein had the superior multiplayer.

CrsadrNoRemorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@glots@pavera Thanks for the info!

Yeah I looked at a 2 minute gameplay video before buying and it was only 2 bucks, so I bought it right away. I just wanted to know if it has a lot of encumbering mechanics from the early 2000s era of shooters, that's all.

I was itching for a shooter with loud and punchy guns and it seems like that is what I'm getting. The lack of story does not sadden me one bit in this case.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I haven't played the campaign in so long (and liked it but didn't love it at the time) but I have played the Enemy Territory multiplayer stuff a few years ago and still found it pretty fun. I remember not really enjoying fighting anything supernatural in that game and the regular WW2 business was handled so much better in MoH: AA like @glots mentions. There were not the cool set pieces and intensity of that game. Compared to a lot of other FPS games out there I don't think it really stands up against those. Not to completely discourage anyone from playing it, but I think other games around that time had so much more going on (Jedi Outcast, Tribes 2, Battlefield 1942 for example).

ET is really cool though. I wouldn't choose to play it over some stuff now but yeah at the time it was great.