jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
No Caption Provided

2016 marks the 15th anniversary of the original release of Rez. The Sega-published, UGA-developed Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 game wasn't the most complicated game ever made. It's a lock-on rail shooter, it's Space Harrier with a lock-on. It's Panzer Dragoon without the need to manually rotate and find things behind you. But it's also got style. The most style, perhaps.

Rez was never some huge system selling juggernaut. But it was important. And it stands out now as a solid indicator of where Sega's head was at back around the turn of the century. The company was still interested in taking risks and making stylish projects that stood out. Visually, Rez was wonderful. It left a mark on me that few games do, such that I find myself thinking about Rez out of nowhere, reminding myself that I should probably dig out my PS2 copy and my Trance Vibrator to give it another go. Whenever I do, I usually play the first level, the Lost Area level, and drift away from it again. It's tempting to say that Rez deserved better, or that it should have been a huge sales success. But, ultimately, I think the right people found Rez and appreciated it on its own terms.

That's code for "Rez is important to me but I'm not going to sit here and tell you that I think Rez should've been turned into a franchise with tons of sequels and reboots. But some part of me would be insanely thrilled if that's how it went."

It is 2016, and there is time for Rez.

No Caption Provided

Yesterday, during the keynote address at the PlayStation Experience 2015, Tetsuya Mizuguchi appeared on stage with Rez Infinite, a new take on the old game. It will (optionally) support Sony's PlayStation VR peripheral, taking Rez to virtual reality, the place it deserved to be all along. It's not a massive reboot or remake of Rez. Having played a brief chunk of it, I can tell you that, so far, it's Rez. It's a sharper-looking version of Rez, not entirely unlike Rez HD, which came to the Xbox 360.

I played the first level with the headset on. From a mechanical perspective, this means that you're playing Rez, but you can aim your reticle by looking around. You can, of course, also use the left stick to aim, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Playing Rez--a game that was originally released in a 4:3 aspect ratio--with the game's graphics wrapped around your head is a wholly different experience. For one, the action feels spread out a bit. Also, Rez may be one of the more delightfully disorienting games I've played in VR thus far. The levels in Rez are split up into "layers." While most of the layers position you behind your avatar and give you the perspective of moving forward into cyberspace, some layers position you on the side of your character. So there's an abrupt transition in your direction of movement that, in VR, feels extremely dramatic. Actually, the blurs and blasts of color that mark the layer transitions take on a way more dramatic and disorienting role when you're playing in VR. I could see this being off-putting to some, but at the same time, that disorientation and slightly uneasy feeling makes the game feel a lot more intense and satisfying. I definitely had to take a second to get my wits about me once the helmet came off.

I played through the entire first level with just the helmet on, then I tried an abbreviated level with the area four boss battle bolted onto the end up it while strapped into the evolution of the Trance Vibrator. This "synesthesia suit" is a cluster of 26 actuators, wired up to a rack mounted system, and it's all designed to vibrate and pulse in different spots around your body as you play. On one hand, it was amazing. The beat pulsates and travels around your body, starting in your chest and arms and eventually working its way down to your legs over the course of the level. But it didn't feel like this insanely expensive body suit was required to make the game intense. The headset is more than enough to do that. That said, there's something to be said for a new type of Trance Vibrator rig that works with Rez in VR, and it sounds like the developers are willing to investigate what would it take to make something more reasonable than the one-off suit, if players are interested. It's cool. Anyway, here's a pile of photos of me (and a couple of Capy's Nathan Vella) taken by John Ricciardi and Mark MacDonald from 8-4:

The stage demo given at the PlayStation Experience also mentions something called "Area X" and showed a quick bit of something that almost looked like it wasn't on rails, so there will be some brand-new things coming to Rez Infinite. But that wasn't in the version I was shown. We don't currently have any footage of Rez Infinite just yet, but it looks like a sharper, 16:9 version of Rez HD when it's spit out onto a TV. Here's some of that, in case you need a refresher:

So just imagine all of that... but imagine it's all taking place all around you, I guess? Yeah, I suppose it's still pretty hard to convey VR to people who haven't tried it.

The game is due out on PlayStation 4 in the back half of 2016. With the game's 15th anniversary happening in that time frame, I wouldn't be surprised if this thing landed on the exact day, November 22, 2016.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

welcome to the future

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

How do you go back to not wearing a future vibration suit all the time? Can't be easy to transition back.

doncabesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

VR looks/sounds amazing but with each person having to have their own headset instead of 1 tv many can watch it's going to be real expensive in the long run.

bikedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By bikedog

The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships? Motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then one day...

jasperkazai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jasperkazai
Sil3n7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So awesome. Can't wait to try this.

nonowaii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Videogames finally happened.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VR looks/sounds amazing but with each person having to have their own headset instead of 1 tv many can watch it's going to be real expensive in the long run.

there's probably a way to output a 2nd feed so others can watch. i just worry it will destroy the framerate which is crucial to VR.

IaN_RM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gerstmann rocking that suit like a boss, though

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

The vibration on my balls really made me feel like I was there.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is what eventually sells me a Sony VR. Already got the PS4 so that's not an insane expense but I had intended to stick to VR on PC.

But I can't not buy a copy of Rez. I own every other edition of it and this is very obviously the right way (TM) to play this. Sounds like a real trip.

FraggingRights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff, you're looking trim dude!

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VR sounds cool and all but i'm afraid that if this stuff takes off and eventually replaces regular gaming I will end up not being able to play games anymore. Like this would need a built in barf bag for me, i get motion sick just thinking about reading in a moving vehicle. Early 3d games used to make me sick as well though so maybe time will fix it, but still sitting around with a heavy thing on my head doesn't sound appealing either. Get off my lawn

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

welcome to the future

Man,

Machine,

A Fusion!

DougCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

finally, context for that image of jeff.

Avatar image for deactivated-629e6affc23b3
deactivated-629e6affc23b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hope the lights on the headset exterior, no doubt there because someone felt they make VR feel more "futuristic", can be turned off.......

Dberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Dberg

Huh. That sounds pretty cool.

I'm fixated on the suit though. It's all kinds of boss. Would it be wrong to call it a cyber suit?

feedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this rezonates strongly with me

utternyms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By utternyms

Damn, Jeff is lookin' goooood. Makes me want to start eating better.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is weirdly the first time a VR game has piqued my interest. I fucking love Rez, and Child of Eden. Actually, I think Child of Eden is even better than Rez. Come at me.

Damn, Jeff is lookin' goooood.

I was thinking the same thing; he's practically svelte

Springfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put the time into "S-ranking" Rez HD back in the days of achievement tracking, and went for a full playthrough of Child of Eden with Move controllers.

So I'm a total mark for Rez VR. Gotta do it.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In the year 2000~

I wonder when all that vr stuff will finally make its way out to consumers

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is the game running at 120 fps on the psvr?

ehbunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doncabesa: I feel like I have seen more than a few shots of someone on a couch using a PSVR while having people around them watching on the TV so I'm pretty sure that will be an option(I actually have trouble imagining this coming out without that feature)

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@normal said:

I hope the lights on the headset exterior, no doubt there because someone felt they make VR feel more "futuristic", can be turned off.......

Pretty sure those function like the light bar on the controller; so that the PS Camera can see where you are in your 3D space.

HulkSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait until 2018 when I strap on my VR headset to experience fully immersive UPFs.

Until then, good look to the GB crew finding a way to make Quick Looks out of this tech.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexgbro said:

is the game running at 120 fps on the psvr?

Yes, regular 1080p60 outside of VR mode.

allodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That fucking suit is insane.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That get-up reminds me so much of Tron, it's amazing. Also a vibrating suit is kinda pointless.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By doctordonkey

The symbiosis between man and machine has finally been achieved, and shall usher in a new era, an era we will come to know as "post-Rez".

WELCOME TO THE BIG TIME.

AlexGBRO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk: thx i wonder how 120 fps will be on the psvr?

hope that 7th core that sony unlock for developer helps/

FunkyHugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks soooo cool.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#35  Edited By guanophobic

Holy shit Jeff's losing a lot of weight, good job!

Rez feels like a no brainer for VR, and makes me think of what Phil Fish talked about on the GDC stream a couple of years ago. An lsd trip in video game form. The super stylized graphics also makes it perfect for the hardware the PS4 is packing.

How long were you guys in the demo for? Any headaches/motion sickness with morpheus at all?

Rubberchicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jeff looks great!

youeightit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was the one announcement from the keynote that had my undivided attention. Until this, I had ZERO interest anything VR. But now I'm in.

I don't think VR will replace "regular" gaming if it catches on. Worst case scenario, it'll be the thing everybody goes all in on for a hot year or two, but the newness will wear off eventually and "regular" games will start coming out again. I think if another crash were to happen it would take VR down with it, but I don't think VR will cause it.

DaveKap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone here... anyone here... please agree with me that certain notes in the remake are completely off and different from what the original game's soundtrack and sound effects had? As in, Dreamcast original?

The preview at the PSX keynote even had similar things wrong with it, telling me that this new version is just a modded port of the 360 version instead of an actual remake of the original. Either that or their source material somehow changed since the original release. :(

ComradeSolar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bikedog said:

The Grid. A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships? Motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see. And then one day...

Jeff's support of TRON has always been on point, so I'm glad he has finally gotten a chance to enter the Game Grid

TheTrekkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking good Jeff!

Did they say if the whole suit is required to play to the game or is it an optional accessory?

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So are people gonna use this thing for sex too?

EdReedFan20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Obviously.

Anyways, this looks damn good.

Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

That commenter in the Golem trailer page said everyone who likes VR is a shill, so now I just don't know WHAT to believe.

Gigabomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are there any other PS2 remasters announced for launch? FF7? Can I still donate money to a kickstarter to get other remastered PS2 games?

I can't wait to play brand new PS2 games.

tejini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VR nothing, the real story is how thin Jeff is looking, keep kicking ass man!

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@tejini said:

VR nothing, the real story is how thin Jeff is looking, keep kicking ass man!

Yeah, he seemed to have lost a lot of weight. Pretty awesome.

ComradeSolar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demolition Man predicted this, as it predicted many things about our dystopian future.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By s-a-n-JR
No Caption Provided

ildon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers