• 135 results
excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By excast

Just now on Microsoft's Gamescom 2014 conference.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/microsoft-gamescom-2014-press-conference-liveblog/1100-6421651/

I'm not sure how much money Microsoft tossed out for this exclusivity, but this strikes me as a very odd choice for the sequel to such a breakout game that was available on both systems. Why limit yourself and the future prosperity of the franchise by siding with a system that isn't exactly doing gangbusters right now?

Hopefully it is just a timed exclusive.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm willing to bet that it's a timed exclusive so that Microsoft get all the holiday sales.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Exclusive or console exclusive?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

That is so mental. I mean, it's no skin off my back because I own an Xbox One but still. Strange to think the series that started off being very strongly associated with the Playstation is now an Xbox exclusive.

Good for them.

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounded like holiday exclusive. So expect PS4 release early 2016.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'll probably have an Xbox One by then (because I have little self control), so I'm not too upset. At least until the PS4 version comes out six months later and is better.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By AMyggen
PsychoPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PsychoPenguin

I hope it comes to PC. Really enjoyed Tomb Raider (2013) on the PC and I just upgraded that. No way I'm ever getting an xbox :/

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Meh, if it's not available for PS4 I guess I'll just play it on PC like I did with the first one. I do agree that it's a somewhat strange move by MS and I believe there's a good chance it'll probably be a timed exclusive as mentioned earlier in the thread, as many games these days tend to end up like that.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Square Enix is passing up a lot of money for this. Microsoft must have given them a whole lot. Wouldn't get me to buy a XB1 sooner though.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

The wording on exclusivity deals is too often purposefully misleading. A) This doesn't sound quite right and B) even though I own an Xbox One I think it would be rotten if true. The only thing current gen consoles have over each other right now is true game exclusivity, but that only leads to hurting the gamer when console choice is so artificially created. When I prefer to play games on the PC and I'm also expected to spend $800 on consoles I'll barely be purchasing games on, that just sucks.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad choice by Square Enix, but I guess they will have to deal with the consequences of placing false limits on the success of one of their largest franchises.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Fuck everyone involved with this. Loved the reboot.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrewb: The word seems to be that this is an exclusive, not timed or console exclusive. But who knows...

And this is how it has always been. You have first party studios, or deals with third parties. That's how they compete.

This won't get me to buy a Xbone before the new Halo game, but it sure as hell is interesting. I can't begin to guess what MS paid for this.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't matter what the press release might say; it'll be a timed exclusive, just like ninety-nine percent o' the time.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Remember when SquareEnix were disappointed by Tomb Raider's sales ? This really isn't going to help the sequal.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL. If this means a true exclusive (never on PC or PS4) then the Tomb Raider revival has ended before it could even begin.

I bet Square is going to be real happy when the sales numbers arrive. I will be surprised if they pass 1 mill in sales.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

If it is a timed exclusive, which it probably is, neither Crystal Dynamics nor Microsoft is going to come out and say that. I don't see how MS could have paid Crystal Dynamics enough to keep this an Xbox One exclusive forever. It'll probably get the Ryse treatment.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBOX, not xbox one. That probably means it's coming to 360 too.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Can we be done with this? I don't even play on a console anymore, but stuff like this actually makes me angry. It isn't helping anyone. Games should be as available as possible, for as many people as possible, so that everyone can enjoy them. Stuffing a huge number of potential customers isn't going to earn you anything but ire and distaste from the audience you're trying to market to, and the up-front cash will never match the goodwill that they would be giving up.

I liked the first game, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'm going to buy this one, even on PC.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

@andrewb: The word seems to be that this is an exclusive, not timed or console exclusive. But who knows...

And this is how it has always been. You have first party studios, or deals with third parties. That's how they compete.

This won't get me to buy a Xbone before the new Halo game, but it sure as hell is interesting. I can't begin to guess what MS paid for this.

Yeah, deals exist, but generally not with sequels to games that were available on other systems. If this is indeed a true exclusive, this is super gross and a slap in the face to Playstation owners that supported the Tomb Raider reboot.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's entirely possible that Square Enix making Microsoft pay through the nose for this being that A.) They considered the first game a failure and B.) Microsoft is desperate for any perceived advantage they can get.

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

If it's an absolute exclusive then I have to wonder how much Microsoft paid to get that. A lot I guess to make up for the money they'll lose for not releasing on PS4 or even PC if they aren't aren't releasing on that.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can we be done with this? I don't even play on a console anymore, but stuff like this actually makes me angry. It isn't helping anyone. Games should be as available as possible, for as many people as possible, so that everyone can enjoy them. Stuffing a huge number of potential customers isn't going to earn you anything but ire and distaste from the audience you're trying to market to, and the up-front cash will never match the goodwill that they would be giving up.

I liked the first game, don't get me wrong, but I don't think I'm going to buy this one, even on PC.

Even if I'm not the biggest fan of this stuff, I think that in the end we're better off as gamers when there's competition between several different consoles, and this is part of that.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@amyggen: How does a monopoly on a game foster competition? That makes no sense.

They should compete on first party software, services and hardware. Paying for exclusivity is nothing but consumer hostile, there's nothing positive for the end user in it. Unless you count fodder for fanboy arguments. I don't.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MachoFantastico

From Eurogamer:

"This is not a timed exclusive, but a genuine one, as confirmed by Crystal Dynamics head Darrell Gallagher on the Tomb Raider tumblr. "Our friends at Microsoft have always seen huge potential in Tomb Raider and have believed in our vision since our first unveil with them on their stage at E3 2011," he writes. "We know they will get behind this game more than any support we have had from them in the past - we believe this will be a step to really forging the Tomb Raider brand as one of the biggest in gaming, with the help, belief and backing of a major partner like Microsoft.

"This doesn't mean that we're walking away from our fans who only play on PlayStation or on PC. Those are great systems, with great partners, and amazing communities. We have Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris coming to those platforms this December, and Tomb Raider: The Definitive Edition is available on PS4."

- Wow surprised. Didn't think publishers/developers could even afford to do this sort of thing nowadays due to the cost of games. I wonder if Square Enix judged the reboot as an absolute failure then? I loved the reboot but I don't think I'll get a Xbox One to play Rise.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mikey87144

The more I think about it the stranger the deal seems for both sides. Does this boost sales of the XB1? I can't think of too many people who'll buy the system just to play Tomb Raider.

Secondly, Tomb Raider was a hit, (by everyone's but Square's standards), but that was around 6 million with it coming out on PC, 360 and PS3. Also let's not forget they released the definitive edition on PS4 and XB1 which did better, (not all that shocking considering the PS4's nice start), on PS4.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even the Crystal Dynamics tumblr post puts "coming summer 2014" in front of the exclusive bit. It's like they can't say one without the other - it's such a bizarre way for them to phrase it that you've got to think it's all one thing.

"Rise of the Tomb Raider, coming Holiday 2015, is exclusively on Xbox". I'd not be surprised if you never see it written any other way, which suggests it is timed.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amyggen said:

This isn't how it's always been though. Exclusives used to mean first party, new IPs, not established game sequels that used to be multiplatform. We're getting the shitty part of this deal, but without the benefit of companies taking the risk of coming up with new ideas. I guess it was only a matter of time before they figured out a way to make competition anti-consumer.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm bummed.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AMyggen

@amafi said:

@amyggen: How does a monopoly on a game foster competition? That makes no sense.

They should compete on first party software, services and hardware. Paying for exclusivity is nothing but consumer hostile, there's nothing positive for the end user in it. Unless you count fodder for fanboy arguments. I don't.

But isn't this how they compete? Not everything can be first party, so there's a lot of third party exclusive stuff too. Sony has a lot of that too, especially with indies. As I said, I'm not a big fan of these kinds of deals, but if that's what needed for multiple consoles to survive and (maybe) prosper, I'll surivive.

Also:

So who the fuck knows.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still not enough for me to get an x-one. Liked the reboot, but can get my platform-y shooter jones on PS4 easily enough.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Microsoft has deep pockets and will apparently compete that way considering they can't compete with PS4 on a system vs system level. Very disappointed in Square-Enix though. Of course that company has sort of been disappointing me for years, so I guess I shouldn't be all that shocked. At least they can line their pockets before writing off the series as a failure though.

altairre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By altairre

Those fuckers. I liked Tomb Raider. Guess I'm not going to play the sequel if it doesn't come to PC at some point.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just when you think Square Enix can't get any dumber.

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhm so does that mean no more awesome hair physics?!

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

That is very unfortunate. Though if this is just the usual manipulative PR way of saying "we'll pretend you have to get it on XBOX until it obviously releases on other platforms" I'm not too bothered. I can wait. A true exclusive would be incredibly fucked. I love the last TR and not being able to play the next one on my platform of choice would really piss me off. I hope Square Enix don't regret their admirable dedication to good PC versions in recent years.

If publishers could leave us PC Gamers out of the worthless console bitch fights that'd be just grand. Oh well, nothing to do but wait and see.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hatking said:

@amyggen said:

This isn't how it's always been though. Exclusives used to mean first party, new IPs, not established game sequels that used to be multiplatform. We're getting the shitty part of this deal, but without the benefit of companies taking the risk of coming up with new ideas. I guess it was only a matter of time before they figured out a way to make competition anti-consumer.

Are you sure about that? I mean, Capcom's Resident Evil deal with Nintendo and Square going from the FF franchise being exclusive on Nintendo platforms to Sony platforms is pretty similar to this.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm sure this will be one of those Dead Rising 3 type exclusives that is never coming to anything other than the Xbox One... oh.

Existence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one wins here but Microsoft.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is it coming to 360?

majorziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember it myself, but saw someone mention that Rise of the Tomb Raider was revealed on the Sony stage at E3. Anyone remember if this is true? If that's correct then Square just kicked Sony in the nuts, I guess.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By excast

@amyggen said:

@hatking said:

@amyggen said:

Are you sure about that? I mean, Capcom's Resident Evil deal with Nintendo and Square going from the FF franchise being exclusive on Nintendo platforms to Sony platforms is pretty similar to this.

Yeah, but the Final Fantasy games weren't really direct sequels. It's a little different.

Avatar image for deactivated-5998b7e12fabb
deactivated-5998b7e12fabb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now this is the Square Enix I remember from last generation... for their own sake, I hope this is one off. They did this with JRPGs in the previous generation making JRPGs exclusive to X360, made the PS3 not pick up anywhere as quickly as it could have in Japan then when Microsoft cleared off and stopped paying for exclusives, realised they had stunted the growth of PS3 in their own market and were sitting there wondering why console sales were lagging in their home market.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By AMyggen

@excast: A bit, but not much. It was an established franchise, and that's the main thing here I think. But sure, the direct sequel thing makes it extra shitty.

syz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By syz

Guess PS4 users will just have to settle with Uncharted.

Release dates as they are (before everything gets delayed) would likely see Tomb Raider coming out pretty close to Uncharted 4. Maybe it's a timed exclusive just to dodge that bus. Given what we know about game sales being front loaded near release dates, there probably wouldn't be much difference between not coming out on PS4 at all, and coming out on PS4 within sniping distance of Uncharted.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By donchipotle

God dammit

MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People pointing out that Rise was announced for the vast majority of consoles at E3 and is now only on Xbox One... that seems like a massive f**k you to all gamers even Xbox One owners.

Overall Sony don't have to do a whole lot wrong to better Microsoft here. Very lackluster offerings, only ScreamRide and Quantum Break seemed catchy.