2017 Rocket League Standard-Ass Giant Bomb Tournament

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Hey all,

I’ve been thinking about running some community tournaments recently, but learning how to do so has made me anxious! I’m going to rip that bandaid off by copying a tournament run by the very capable Trace from last year, which will hopefully let me learn the ins and outs of running Challonge.com tournaments. If I get good at figuring out how to use that tool I will try to do more of these in the future.. We’ll see! To keep things simple I am mostly going to stick with Trace’s rules from last year (read: I am going to copy them outright, with some modifications) until I get better at using Challonge.

For now, I am going to keep this tournament to Premium members only! No offense to our non-Premium members; if we don’t have enough members to make an even number of teams, I may accept a team made of non-Premium users. In case the tournament goes longer than a month, we’ll say that you must have an active Premium account on the site at the time when I close entries on Monday, 4/17, at 5 PM PST!

The Giant Bomb Rocket League Standard-Ass Soc-car Tournament

Summary:

The Giant Bomb Rocket League Standard-Ass is a 3v3 tournament using Rocket League’s Standard Soccar ruleset. No fancy game modes for now, but maybe in the future! I’m not super familiar with the variants going on now.

• 3 players per team
  • PSN/Steam only
  • Each player must have an account on GB (to ensure communication between teams)

Team Requirements:

Teams will be comprised of three players. Alternate players will NOT be permitted for this tournament, so please make sure all team members will be available for this tournament and that all of them have active Premium accounts. Pick one member of the team to be the leader, just so I have a quick point of contact in hand. Feel free to use this thread to get together a team, but please edit your first post when you have the team together with all team members' names just to make it easier to find the team names.

All three members of a team must have a Giant Bomb Premium account and a PSN or Steam account with Rocket League. Because Xbox One does not allow cross-play, its version of Rocket League cannot be used in this tournament.

Teams should expect at least 1-2 matches per week, with a maximum of a week to schedule and play each match with the opposing team once announced. The entire tournament will take around a month to get done.

For the sake of ensuring availability, if you do not feel you would be available to play on weekends from 12-8 PM EST (5 PM-1 AM GMT), you may want to reconsider signing up for this tournament. This availability is not a strict requirement, but rather a suggestion for the sake of avoiding future scheduling conflicts.

Get your teams together by 5 PM PST on Monday 4/17! I'll probably lock this thread at that point for a bit while I get everything into Challonge and we can figure out how bad I am at this.

Tournament Format:

The final bracket will be a round-robin pool play format with single-elimination playoffs. Each team will get at least 2-4 guaranteed matches depending on number of sign-ups, with 1-2 games a week.

Match Format:

Matches are best of five games. Finals, regardless of the elimination format, will be best of seven games.

All matches must use the base Soc-car gametype with default Mutator settings, and must be played on DFH Stadium. No Bots are permitted. Default Mutator settings: Match Length 5 minutes, Max Score Unlimited, Boost Strength 1x, Respawn 3 seconds, Rumble None, everything else Default.

It is up to each team captain to coordinate match scheduling and lobby setup with each other before the given weekly deadline. It is expected that teams will set up a private match lobby, either through a party system or using the name/password option. In the event of any conflicts regarding lobby setup, the first team listed in each matchup will be expected to host the lobby. This is not a strict requirement, however.

The losing team is expected to report the final score (for example, Team A won, 3 games to 2) before the weekly deadline, either through this thread or directly to the tournament coordinator (that would be me, Trace). The winning team may also report the final score, but the match result will not be finalized until a report is received from the losing team.

Scheduling/Reporting/Match Issues:

In the event two teams are unable to schedule a match within the designated timeframe given in the weekly match schedules, it is each captain’s responsibility to contact me as soon as possible. Failure to do so may result in forfeiture of the match or disqualification from the tournament.

Depending on the circumstances causing the scheduling conflict, the match may be rescheduled. In some circumstances, one or both teams may be forced to forfeit and take a loss.

If a match result is not reported to me properly, or if there are conflicting reports on a match’s score, both captains will be contacted to sort out the matter. Replays or forfeiture are both potential outcomes, depending on the circumstances. Take screenshots!

Cheating or attempting to abuse the tournament system to advance will not be tolerated, and may lead to disqualification. If you believe that another team is violating the rules, contact me immediately.

Prizes:

I’m not going to guarantee prizes right this moment; I just kind of want to make sure I can run Challonge and get to the end of this thing. I will try to kick the winning team something, though. I may try and stream the final match on the site if I can spectate it; we’ll see!

Evilbill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Evilbill
ninnyjams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ninnyjams

I will sign up as the team leader for Team Schwifty, and the two people who will be on my team will be named in the next 24 hours or so, I'll update my post. I am "ninnyjams" on both PSN and Steam. Prefer to play on Steam but I don't think that matters.

EDIT: The team is myself (ninnyjams on Steam), profDEADPOOL (profVI on Steam) and Shaduln (LordSquires on PSN)

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ive played around 250 hours of RL, would love to join a team :)

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey y'all, if anyone's looking for a player or two for a team, I'd definitely be up for joining and I'm sure my friend would as well. We're both extremely middling in skill, generally we hover in the gold range (though we typically only play doubles).

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played about 2500 matches on PSN and another 800 on Steam, with a win % of about 58.

I can't do trick shots, but know enough to fit in, either as goalie, not being a ball chaser, etc.

Would prefer PSN, cause I occasionally get NAT troubles on PC but never on PS4. And I have more of my favorite unlocks there.

PM me for screen names either system.

firewrkninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"all of them have active Premium accounts."

When you say that do you mean that they need giant bomb premium subscriptions? Or do you mean subscriptions to Playstation Plus or whatever you need to play online on playstation?

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

I'm down. 61 hours played, though I haven't played in many months, I can assure my potential teammates that I'll get some practice in beforehand. I'm not great on the offensive end, but I'm an excellent defender/goalie/general nuisance.

KevinCogneto on steam. Available to play most weeknights 7PM to midnight Central Time, since I assume that will become relevant.

TonyBlue87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've got 400+ hours, sooooo I guess I could play a little bit more. TonyBlue87 on Steam, and I'm on PST with typically wide-open weekends. Slap me onto a team and I'll hit about 60% of my aerial attempts!

Noobsmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Noobsmog

Hmmm sure why not. I play on psn and hovered around mid to low gold last season. If anyone is interested in a 3rd shoot me a message.

Bedouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bedouin

I'm definitely down for this but I do need a team. Have about 750 hours logged on steam, not all of that time has been spent playing. I'm certainly no pro but I am decent most of the time. I'm not ranked but I play mostly with lower ranked Grand Champs online and do fine. Any other steam users around that level need a team hit me up.

Edit: I realize some of this sounded kind of pretentious when I came back and read it again. As long as you know how to rotate I will happily play with anybody.

Edit 2: Team found, no longer looking.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Busto1299 on PSN if you want to join me then DM me!

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

"all of them have active Premium accounts."

When you say that do you mean that they need giant bomb premium subscriptions? Or do you mean subscriptions to Playstation Plus or whatever you need to play online on playstation?

Giant Bomb Premium.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dray2k

I would also like to play but I am not so good at this game.

At least a I have a reason to practice this game now!

If you want me in your team send me a PM. I use Steam.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By turboman

Edit:

Team Name: Boost Club

Duders: @turboman @xbayyx @andythemez

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm interested in participating. EST here. I can play any position pretty well, but i'm probably best as a striker.

Skewers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Skewers

I'd love to play if anyone would have me. The highest rank I made last season was all-star in doubles for what it's worth. My steam profile.

@patchcoat, @montech, and @skewers will be a team. Am I doing this right?

Our team name will be the Torettos.

ianwclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ianwclark

I am a Rising Star player in my 2s and 3s looking for a team. Solid rotations and positioning with good setups. I am just excited to play! Contact me on Steam or PM me, lets hits some balls around. I am PST.

Our team will be @ianwclark, @bedouin, and @invisible. The name is Team Starbase.

dejbrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have put a lot of time into rocket league in the past , I tend to float into positions but normally sit a bit further back, I play on PSN user name is Synysterduck drop me a message if you want me on your team , I am GMT

Zripwud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Zripwud

Hey guys! Looking for a team, I play on PS4 my username is Zripwuds. Not a pro, but I perfectly understand the game and have my moments of glory. I have more than 2000 matches, so hit me up!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Community tournaments are always fun. Being able to link a PSN Twitch stream to the site chat for the finals would be awesome, with someone on GB providing esports commentary over it.

thewurm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm down. I'm a steam player. 'the_wurm' is my searchable name. I think I'm a platinum II in standard 3s right now.

DF_salem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if anyone needs another player I'm on steam at

http://steamcommunity.com/id/df_salem/

CraigDZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CraigDZ

Would like to play, I'm good enough to not be a hindrance on a team. PS4

Lemme know if anyone is looking for a third.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#28  Edited By YoThatLimp

@tonyblue87 said:

I've got 400+ hours, sooooo I guess I could play a little bit more. TonyBlue87 on Steam, and I'm on PST with typically wide-open weekends. Slap me onto a team and I'll hit about 60% of my aerial attempts!

Hey man!

Also, looking for a team, I am YoThatLimp on steam. Not a pro, but I'm a decent team player!

**Edit

Team Name: Puppy Surprise

Members: @tonyblue87@tclangham@yothatlimp

Andreassss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm high gold/low blue on Steam if anyone is looking for a third. In Norway, so probably best with an EU team, but it's not that important

http://steamcommunity.com/id/andreas80/

Dragontern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Anyone looking for a teammate on PSN hit me up, my name is Dragontern. I'm on PST and my best times are the weekends, but weekdays nights can work too.

rebellion91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rebellion91

I have over 600 hours between PS4 and Steam. I can't do fancy aerials but I can do regular ones consistently. I have about a 55% win rate on PS4 and a 85% win rate on Steam. If anyone wants to be a team captain please do. I'm not super interested in organizing anything.

PSN: WIKD_REBELLION

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198015914785/

sizzlerxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oklay on psn and sizzler_xanadu on steam if anyone needs a third. Warning: I mostly play dubs

Rocket league!!!

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turboman

@patchcoat: I'm on PSN unfortunately. Trying to find teammates to party up with and get a few practice rounds with

Birdville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bacontacosyum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bacontacosyum

Hey guys, I've got about 700 hours in rocket league on steam, would love to play some with giant bomb peeps and have a good time. I was in the high blue star ranks last season in game. If anybody wants to play hit me up on steam. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198019998941/

majorziggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can join a EU team if anyone is looking. I have ~475 hours in RL and got the lowest blue rank at the end of season 3. Can play for some fun times.

ahifi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: Hey, just a slight correction or perhaps addendum to your post: the Xbox One version of Rocket League received a patch for cross-platform play last year after Microsoft did a 360 (hoho) on the issue. No play between PS4 and Xbox One, of course, but perhaps this is something you could consider in future for us in the Xbox player base.

Skewers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Skewers

@patchcoat: and I could use a third if anyone is interested. We're on CST (central US time) and on steam if anyone can make that work.

xbayyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By xbayyx

Anyone interested in teaming up? I play on PSN and I'm ranked Plat in every section. PSN is xv_Ebay_vx

Montech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Montech
flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By flippyandnod

You surely mean a 180 on the issue. A 360 would be no change in direction at all.

@ahifi said:

@rorie: Hey, just a slight correction or perhaps addendum to your post: the Xbox One version of Rocket League received a patch for cross-platform play last year after Microsoft did a 360 (hoho) on the issue.

AoguSakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AoguSakka

I'd be interested in joining a team. Apparently I have 550 hours on the game thanks to the email I got recently from Sony, so I know what I'm doing... still capable of a classic cock up tho. Have both PS4 and Steam, PM me if you need someone

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#45  Edited By RJ

Hello, I'd like to join in this shin-dig!

I'm a mediocre player, I have around 444 hours played. When I do play, I mostly play Ranked 2v2's (Steam) and have consistently fallen into Gold for better or worse. My time zone is PST. Looking for a team!

Steam Profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/elephnat/

embigmoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone needs someone, I'm down. Not too stellar: ranked Gold 2 in both Standards and in Solo. EMBigMoose on PSN. Time zone is MST.

oodli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like a good time, I'll join in. Have not played for a while, but I'm always up for some good ol' Rocket League fun.
I ranked in the the gold tier last I remember, but I think I can hold my own.

PSN: Skabias4

maybe I'll sharpen my skills a bit, might be a bit rusty.

codesmagodes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone looking for a third? I have a decent number of hours and am semi competent In aerials and rotations. PM on here

doncabesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

damnit, I knew it wouldn't include xbox....

geocom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Interested in joining a team. Based in Auckland NZ so if there is an Oceania team needing a 3rd or 2 other people feel free to PM me.

I'm on PSN(geocom) but would be willing to pick up the steam version.

It's been a few months but currently sitting on pro(but may have just ticked over to veteran but looking at a 5GB download to find out on a 4mbit connection) better as a striker than a goalie.

Geoff