asurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

Ryu is a wizard!

Either that or my hasty photoshopping has made it appear so. That is all.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Vuud

Call it magic or chi or whatever it's all based on the same mystic energy bullshit.

Now that we've settled the fact that Ryu is INDEED A WIZARD we can get to the important issues:

Ryu vs. Gandalf all out throwdown no holds barred deathmatch????

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Its a force push, I agree with Vinny...was he the one making the argument that he wasn't a wizard?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

There is only one way to test this. You need to show Ryu something fucked up and if he then responds "I'm a wizard, and that looks fucked up." then we've got confirmation.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@demoskinos:

You, sir, have clearly not played Project X Zone.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Ryu is a Muscle Wizard

Loading Video...

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

I'm a wizard, and that's fucked up.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Ryu is a grown ass man.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

And that's fucked up.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer

Wizards draw their power from supernatural or occult forces. Ryu draws his power from physical training and inner strength.

In D3 there is a Wizard and a Monk. Which one do you think has more in common with Ryu?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Wizards draw their power from supernatural or occult forces. Ryu draws his power from inner strength.

In D3 there is a Wizard and a Monk. Which one do you think has more in common with Ryu?

agreed

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@starvinggamer said:

Wizards draw their power from supernatural or occult forces. Ryu draws his power from inner strength.

agreed

Is it the wizard? Cause they both cast fireballs and the monk doesn't.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

For some weird reason, this made me think I should watch all 8 harry potter movies on my new tv in one sitting. Oh yeahhhhhhhh

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#15  Edited By ESREVER

@naru_joe93: No you shouldn't. Thats a horrible idea. I marathoned them with some friends before going to see deathly hallows pt 1. There is nothing more in my life that I regret than that. I guess I should also note that I don't really like the HP movies, but even more so after that event.

freakin9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By freakin9

I always heard as a kid he was a cheap fireball spamming bitch.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: I was about to say that marathoning such a lengthy and uneven-in-quality series is unwise, but I just bought the Nightmare on Elm Street box set (which I plan on marathoning, of course... and that includes the five or six hours of featurettes), so I have no room to talk, haha.

Even less room considering I'm eyeing that Friday the 13th box set as we speak... oh god, somebody help me.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RonGalaxy

@esrever said:

@naru_joe93: No you shouldn't. Thats a horrible idea. I marathoned them with some friends before going to see deathly hallows pt 1. There is nothing more in my life that I regret than that. I guess I should also note that I don't really like the HP movies, but even more so after that event.

Well I LOVE the harry potter movies (except for the order of the phoenix... If there was one book that needed 2 films it was that one) and I have attempted a marathon before, but didnt do it straight; I ended up watching 3 in one day, then watching the rest over a week period. Almost definitely wont do a straight marathon, but I like thinking about the attempt.

asurg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alright... im throwing gas on this fire. Are there actual wizards in the Street Fighter universe? In the Final Fight series? Even in Darkstalkers? I'm not aware of any in specific - though I could be wrong.

Yeah, there ARE mystics. Dhalsim is a monk. Gen (maybe?) could be considered a mystic. I suppose that Rose could be too... though that would also mean that Bison is too? But I dont see any wizards around here.

Since there aren't any wizards... why CANT Ryu be one? Whats with the hate? What if Ryu WANTS to be a wizard?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@naru_joe93: sagat got his powers through the scar ryu gave him on his chest, like harry potter.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the difference between a wizard and a mage?

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can do magic fireballs and is known to walk around wearing either sandals or barefoot. Meets my criteria.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

What's the difference between a wizard and a mage?

You can see the mage's point?
You can see the mage's point?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A wizard is an old mage, got it.

tsutohiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tsutohiro

You say wizard, I say wizard. Let's call the whole thing off.

Wizard is as wizard does.

Tblockkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryu is a man child refusing to grow up and get a real job.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

He's not even a wizard.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#28  Edited By StarvingGamer

@humanity said:

@jonny_anonymous said:
@starvinggamer said:

agreed

Is it the wizard? Cause they both cast fireballs and the monk doesn't.

Hadoken - lit. wave fist or surge fist

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

If his ability to manifest his own inner energy in to a fiery projection makes him a wizard, does that mean we could all be wizards if we did enough Tai Chi?

Also, if Ryu is a wizard, that means Dan Hibiki is a wizard.

The problem I see is where you draw the line between what in Street Fighter would constitute wizardly powers. Throwing fat energy projectiles seems more obvious, sure. But is Ryu's shoryuken a wizard's ability? If not, is Ken's magical because his fierce shoryu is ablaze? Is Zangief a wizard with his green hand/banishing flat? Is his spinning pile driver gravity magic? Is Blanka a wizard? Are electric eels wizards? What about a character like Makoto? Is the forward momentum on her hayate dashing strikes magical? Is Dudley a street magician, pulling roses out of thin air? Is Balrog a normal man that fights wizards all day? Or is he also a wizard? You could easily argue that his turn around punches avoid fireballs by slipping them, but his headbutts make the fireballs pass through him like some kind of phantom. Does that make him a wizard?

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

To get in where Vinny was headed with D&D, the v3.5 monk class has an externalized Ki Strike that totally could be interpreted as hadouken and shoryuken. So he's TOTALLY A MONK, and not a wizard.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I feel like calling Ryu a wizard is like calling Spiderman a manga. I would certainly consider the Hadouken a form of magic, so if you were to call him a mage, then sure. He's just a mage in some sort of spiritual eastern school of magic. Wizards are old and have beards and have staves and shit though.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryu is a man child refusing to grow up and get a real job.

Indeed.

Haruko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By Haruko

Chi or Ki is an internal force that is projected outwards while mana is an external force focused through a conduit or caster. I don't know why this is so hard to understand.

As proof I give the realm of Ravenloft in D&D there magic is all fucked up and casters have trouble using spells while monks have no issue with powers case closed.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#34  Edited By crithon

and elves are Ninjas.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@damodar said:

Also, if Ryu is a wizard, that means Dan Hibiki is a wizard.

Ryu is to Gandalf as Dan is to Rincewind.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryu is a wizard, and he fucks shit up.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#37  Edited By TheMasterDS

The differences between various practitioners is fuzzy as every fictional world has different takes on what each word means. Many of you guys are probably drawing from DND or some shit. I'm going to draw from The Dresden Files books, which are really really REALLY fucking good books about a wizard private eye. You should read them. Anyway, in Dresden Files a Wizard is a practitioner of sufficient magical strength, talent and flexibility. The top 10% maybe of those who can use magic. A sorcerer is someone whose magic is limited to destruction. Smaller talents may be able to learn to do a few spells, even pretty tricky ones, but they'd never be called wizards because that implies flexibility. I'd reckon Ryu is something like that. Capable of a few feats of magic. I would reckon magic isn't the way he thought about it as he learned it, but it's still totally magic.

Two other side notes, drawing power and tools. One in Dresden Files it is said magic comes from life. One can draw upon their emotions or external power sources, either can work. Two, tools. In Dresden Files these are often called props. It is said that magic does not need props however people do. It's easier to have complex concepts encapsulated by intricate objects generally than it is to keep everything consciously in mind as you fling magic. It's not needed, but it helps a lot.

This is of course one interpretation of magic from one universe. Maybe you disagree.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@vuud said:

Call it magic or chi or whatever it's all based on the same mystic energy bullshit.

Now that we've settled the fact that Ryu is INDEED A WIZARD we can get to the important issues:

Ryu vs. Gandalf all out throwdown no holds barred deathmatch????

Bullshit. The difference between a Wizard and Chi based stuff is the external internal element. Wizards draw power from other sources, siphoning off magical energies from a variety of other worldy dimensions. Chi based attacks are all power drawn from within yourself.

ryanwhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guile is a biblical judge cus his energy blast power comes from his hair, much like Samson.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By GalacticPunt

Dhalsim's D&D prestige class is Hellfire Warlock, and that's fucked up.

No Caption Provided

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

First post makes him look like crazy homeless person.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First post makes him look like crazy homeless person.

He totally is. He's a homeless man that wanders barefoot all over the world, looking to pick fights. I bet he smells.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I don't know if I'd call Ryu a wizard, but that fireball is definitely a form of magic.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tblockkiller:

Loading Video...

Nah man, real jobs are for chumps.