I think more people should know about Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin

KittenTactics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I was enchanted with this game after the trailer at last year's E3, and everything I've seen since then has only made me pine for it further. It's an Action RPG/Platformer and it looks like Muramasa: The Demon Blade in visuals and combat mechanics, but with some interesting traversal and adorable harvesting mini-games. I adore the look of this game, it looks like it takes place in that collectively cultural, idealic, magical version of Japan that we'd all love to be real.

I really think people are sleeping on this one, it's hard to find discussion about it anywhere. It's coming out at the end of the year and I really hope this will turn some of you on to it :)

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

I think it looks really interesting, especially the combat and traversal.

I'm just afraid that harvesting for power (according to the trailer your power is tied to how much rice you harvest, bug I of course don't know if that's actually the case yet) could turn this into a ridiculous grind. I mean, I like Harvest Moon and Stardew Valley, but I don't want to grind for levels.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Slower looking combat than Muramasa but also looks like it might have more depth as well. Looks pretty rad.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

You're right, this looks really nice. Combat looks smooth and visually it's gorgeous. I don't know if it's my kind of game but thanks for sharing it!

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I feel like it's just one of those things that gets lost under all the triple A big stuff and billion other small stuff. Definitely looks neat though and now it's on my radar, thanks! Never heard of it before.

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those games I impulse-buy and put 30 minutes a day into over a few months, I can feel it. The art is completely enchanting, of course. Not on Switch at launch, though... shame. Seems like such a perfect fit for handheld. It's a weird peccadillo of mine, but I struggle to play Stardew and Harvest and games like that on my huge monitor -- I get bored and fall off -- but on a handheld, I can just pick up and play in a flash while watching something in the background every day, you know?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it caught me interest when it was announced a year or two ago. It kinda gets lost in the shuffle, but it does seem like something I will play.

Maybe I'm weird, but the harvesting aspect is probably the most interesting part of this game to me. The combat looks solid and the graphics are nice, but that extra layer is what makes it stand from so many other games of its kind. Assuming they get it right I think I will enjoy it.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You had me at "it looks like Muramasa: The Demon Blade in visuals and combat"

Sold!

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a dang good title if nothing else. Reminds me of that The Clash song, "Straight to Hell". Can't really commend anything much more than that.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

It looks great to me, just wish it had a store page somewhere so I could wishlist it. With so many great games coming out, I find it harder than ever to remember them all

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yeah this has been on my radar. Looks really nice, although I'm worried how involved the rice harvesting side of it is. Not sure I want to engage in that too much.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag said:

It looks great to me, just wish it had a store page somewhere so I could wishlist it. With so many great games coming out, I find it harder than ever to remember them all

+1. I've already been forgetting stuff from E3 because so many good trailers and demos were there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c26fd6917af0
deactivated-5c26fd6917af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really looking forward to this. It has a really nice look to it. The combat looks great, too. I really like the idea of a game that is trying to explore the historical importance of rice agriculture to Japanese daily life. That it is doing it with this sidescrolling beat'em up playstyle mixed with mini-harvest moon farming is interesting.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

When I saw the trailer the other day was definitely interested.

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I've become increasingly interested in this game and the little pre-release buzz has been positive. The idea of a cartoonish styled rice farming simulator with exploration and fun writing would be a fun reprieve. Anyone else itrested with the encroaching release date?

Avatar image for general_boredom
General_Boredom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sawtooth: I’m interested, but they picked the worst possible release date; they’re just sending it out to die now.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So this is out now and maybe it’s not the ideal release window but it’s really charming and weird and people should really check it out!

sawtooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just downloaded this on switch this weekend, and have been having a good time. The rice farming simulation is pretty in depth, but has it's own difficulty slider, if you're not super into tracking weather patterns and optimizing your fertilizer mix. I did have a bug where the game crashed, but the regular autosaving prevented any progress loss.

If you like a fairly even mix of farm chore scheduling and 2D rpg hack and slashing, with significant Japanese mythology told through the perspective of an odd-ball family of characters, this is the one.