User Lists: 2

Good thing I got a Switch last week.

PurpleOddity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

I dig the soundtrack. I always like to have grindy RPGs to play on a portable system, good way to wind down at night. Glad to see the Switch is gaining some real steam as a platform.

Zebasteroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Zebasteroid

I've never played a SMT game, but I've always been interested. I don't feel like getting any more 3DS games, so SMT coming to Switch sounds awesome.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

I am pretty sure that the 3DS title mentioned in the original January teaser video was never suppose to be a different version of the HD Project but was just another game celebrating SMT's 25th anniversary. The HD Project, now called Shin Megami Tensei V, was always going to be Switch exclusive and I believe the 3DS game ended up being Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux.

Anyway, trailer looks cool but we still know very little about the game itself.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat. I just hope that with the P5 teasers having nothing and now this, that Atlus aren't falling into the bad habit of announcing their games waaaaaay too early.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just reminded me that I still have that copy of Apocalypse sitting here unopened. I should probably play that.

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Well, I figured I would get a Switch eventually, but this cements it.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I'm very excited about this, but since it's ATLUS and SMT, I guess it's gonna take quite some time.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I prefer mainline SMT to Persona (and I looove Persona) so this is a wonderful way to start the week.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

This is excellent news to wake up to!

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed SMT IV but have yet to buy Apocalypse. Hopefully they make the game more friendly cause holy crap is the tutorial fucking hard.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For all you SMT fans out there, is this worth getting for a guy who loved the crap out of Persona 4?

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For all you SMT fans out there, is this worth getting for a guy who loved the crap out of Persona 4?

I'd like to know that as well. I played P4G last year and P3FES this year and am now seriously wondering whether I should give smt a shot. What would be a good place to start?

thebisonxrc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played SMTIV (my first in the series) and had fun with it. I’ll definitey be keeping an eye on this one. I’m sure it’ll look great on the Switch screen.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I can dig it

Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

day 1 :3

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@hans_maulwurf: @nicksmi56: I'm on a phone so I can't expand on this too much, but in short - the mainline SMT games are way more combat/dungeon crawling oriented and their stories tend to be more philosophical "which side do you agree more with" affairs.

jakoo_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jakoo_P

I wonder if this is running on the same engine as Tokyo Mirage Sessions? All of the silhouetted characters in the opening part of the teaser reminded me of the aesthetics of that game.

I bet Atlus was waiting to see how well the Switch fared before announcing this as an exclusive. Seems like a safe bet now.

Stryfeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56 said:

I'd like to know that as well. I played P4G last year and P3FES this year and am now seriously wondering whether I should give smt a shot. What would be a good place to start?

SMT games tend to be less exposition heavy but much heavier on the atmosphere. They are dungeon crawlers really. Much harder than any Persona game too.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nicksmi56 said:

It's hard to say, if what you like about the Persona games are the cast and social interactions and all that then main SMT doesn't really do that.

That said they have gotten more interested in story and characters since IV and Apocalypse so I'm curious the direction a V will take.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Persona 3 & 4 were my gateway into SMT. Lot's of similarities in combat, but a very different story structure. Have you tried Persona 2? That's a little closer...

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sonicrift: Nah, only played 4. Got 5 as an anniversary present but saving that for after I clear out my backlog.

I've watched a Let's Play of 1 if that's a good reference point.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would maybe just start with IV or Apocalypse, anything else is probably harder to go back to, but maybe that's me being one of the only megaten fans who doesn't like Nocturne.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By TheWildCard

I'm surprised it wasn't announced for any other platforms. A 3ds exclusive is one thing, a HD console release for a property that doesn't have the pull Persona does is something else. Good reason to pick up a Switch I guess.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

It would be great if this game wasn't as immediately unfriendly as the opening hours of SMT IV were. I know main series SMT is supposed to be hard, but I got as far as that first Minotaur fight and could go no further.

Hopefully, this won't be a Tokyo Mirage Sessions scenario and we'll actually see this game before the end of the Switch's lifetime. That would be nice.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Efesell

It would be great if this game wasn't as immediately unfriendly as the opening hours of SMT IV were. I know main series SMT is supposed to be hard, but I got as far as that first Minotaur fight and could go no further.

Hopefully, this won't be a Tokyo Mirage Sessions scenario and we'll actually see this game before the end of the Switch's lifetime. That would be nice.

Apocalypse overcorrected real bad on that issue and led to a real mindless game overall so I hope they can meet closer to the middle.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was already probably getting Switch, but this is the first game that tells me I have no choice.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arbitrarywater: So the weird thing with SMTIV is that as soon as you are out of the tutorial the game becomes a cakewalk. Like, fighting enemies tens of levels high than you with no problem style cakewalk. Odds are this one won't be as brutal upfront, but neither was SMTIII and a lot of people struggled against the first real boss in that game too (Matador).

somamilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I loved SMT IV and the previous entries as well, I freakin' love this, the switch is the best.

Mupod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the most important question is how much xylophone is gonna be in the boss music

TK_Frampt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TK_Frampt

Got a Switch for a number of reasons, but this was definitely toward the top of that list. Hope we get more info soon.

Wonder if Kaneko will be working on the character art for this one. Missed his look in IV. The male character's suit is definitely something more his style, I think.

Kite474

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Kite474

Interesting. Wondering how this will play and be received. Personally, I could never get into the mainline series because how much of a slog the story was.

Esentially I had the problem of when everyone else is an asshole and all the sides outside of being near omnicidal are full of idiots. I just stopped caring lol

Still at the very least the games play generally well when you dont have to rely on an absurd amount of luck