Devil Survivor Overclocked (+bugs) now out in EU.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mwng

Devil Survivor Overclocked has finally made it's way to the EU a mere 2 years after the US release.

This time appears to have been spent integrating a few new bugs. The game now hangs for 5 minutes during auction house segments where the seller lies about the stats of a demon, or if the player summons additional demons for reinforcement.

Also, all credit to @neurotic : Input for the protagonist naming is broken. So when people refer to you by your first name, they actually say your second name and you'll notice on the profile screen that Naoya is called 'Naoya <Protag first name>. This is not me misreading which name input was which at the beginning, by the way.

Ghostlight press release as follows:

"First of all I would like to apologise for the issues you have been experiencing it's not good enough and we will be looking into what went wrong.

As an update into what will be happening I will be going into the office today to start tracking down these issues in the game and we will be hoping to fix these issues as soon as possible.

Until then I can only recommend that you save before using the Auction House and if you encounter the devil summoning freeze you leave the game to run for 3 5 minutes as it should start to run again after that. I recognise that this in no way resolves the issue.

Thank you for your patience."

I imagine anyone with any interest in the game will have imported the original DS title by now anyway. But if you haven't, or are interested in the new additions, might want to steer clear before a patch or something. Though the main unavoidable issue (game freezing for 5 mins during a specific auction event) doesn't appear to occur often enough to totally ruin the game. I imagine the naming thing could become a little annoying though.

And as scathing as the post was, I hope Ghostlight get it sorted soon, as I'm particularly fond of them as a publisher.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read a post on the facbook page that said Ghostlight have to contact Atlus with the problems, and have Atlus send back a patch code to Ghostlight before Ghostlight can then submit it to Nintendo. Uhh, so don't expect a patch this year if this is true.

I was planning on getting a 3DS in the next couple of months. So if this is fixed by then I'll pick it up on the cheap. This really sucks for everyone that have been waiting years for this though.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:

I read a post on the facbook page that said Ghostlight have to contact Atlus with the problems, and have Atlus send back a patch code to Ghostlight before Ghostlight can then submit it to Nintendo. Uhh, so don't expect a patch this year if this is true.

Yeah, I imagined this would be the case and we all know how Atlus likes to treat Europe.

As I said in the other thread, they're pretty easily avoidable bugs (except for the name one but your name is rarely used anyway, most people use your 'nickname'). I've still put nearly 15 hours in and am enjoying it and only ran into the freeze cos I tested it myself. Still doesn't excuse shipping a broken game though.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mwng

@neurotic said:

@petiew said:

Yeah, I imagined this would be the case and we all know how Atlus likes to treat Europe.

As I said in the other thread, they're pretty easily avoidable bugs (except for the name one but your name is rarely used anyway, most people use your 'nickname'). I've still put nearly 15 hours in and am enjoying it and only ran into the freeze cos I tested it myself. Still doesn't excuse shipping a broken game though.

I have no doubt that a patch will be top priority after the release of Persona 4 Arena in Europe! Right..?

Out of interest, where did you get your copy from? Jerks at Amazon haven't shipped mine yet, probably due to stock shortage (seems to be selling for £50 at the moment...), I even put my order down a couple of months ago.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel

@neurotic said:

@petiew said:

It's not about how Atlus treats Europe. They don't have a European office, so it's up to other publishers to release those games in that territory. It's not Atlus's fault if Ghostlight chose to release a busted version of Devil Survivor. And how the game broke in the ways that it did are beyond me.

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

(Posting on iPad so the @ stuff might not work but here goes)

@mwng - Pre-ordered it directly from Ghostlight. Got it on Tuesday too.

@hailinel - I wasn't referring to the release when I mentioned Atlus, I was talking about the incoming patch which, as the post above says, is for Atlus to sort out.

I know they don't have an EU branch but the fact that they don't show any interest of opening one up despite all of the obvious issues they've had getting their games out here tells me all I need to know as to how they consider the territory. I don't buy that they lack the funds. From the number of people I've seen complaining to Zen/Ghostlight/whoever, a small branch would easily make that money back and some.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Petiew

@hailinel: From what I'm aware of, Atlus are actually somewhat at fault in regards to the late release of games. (Persona 4 Arena in particular)

That game took so long to finally come to the EU because the publishers hadn't even received EU builds of the game until a couple of weeks ago. The publishers had no say before this, and just had to sit twiddling their thumbs until Arc/Atlus finally got the build to them. All decisions had to be run by Atlus, and seeing how they view Europe it's no wonder the game was delayed so much.

In this case, if there's to be a patch we're assuming that Atlus have to be the ones to modify the game and send a patch code back to the publishers (Ghostlight). Given that Atlus has no office here and therefore doesn't care about the EU, taking into account their previous trackrecord, it's safe to assume a patch is not their top priority.

At least in the P4A case the majority of the delay can be attributed to Atlus. The company is actually well known for being very penny pinching and dismissive in Japan.