Anybody play Spectre of Torment DLC yet

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I think it is the best campaign yet. The remixed levels are fun and interesting, and really crafted to Spectre Knight's skill set. Spectre Knight is a blast to control. The visuals, sound effects, humor, and music are all just as good as in the original. After not really getting into the Plague Knight DLC, this one had me totally surprised. And I love Yacht Games for putting these out for free. Definitely a must try for any fans of the original game.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Dray2k

@eddiephlash: I like that they're trying to give the other Knights well deserved characterization. They're really fleshing out the lore, which I believe is a good one. The game was the best release in 2014 and its great that they're still taking care about it. Its probably the best "neo-retro" game I've ever played.

And yeah, the movement in SOT is pretty tight. Yacht Games are great in reinventing the wheel. Introducing more mechanics and being creative instead of "adding more x" to change things. Every little thing they add to the game gameplaywise feels new and like something they haven't done before.

I own it on PC, but its also available on the Switch. I'd say that this game as a whole is as great as BOTW even, thats how good it is I believe. A fantastic game that doesn't get enough coverage as it should really deserve. If anything I think that SOT lacks a little behind in the musical department as the remixes feel a little "off" at times, but thats a minor issue since the rest of the game is nice.

Also I think that Spectre Knight is the best chracterdesign in the game.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By odinsmana

I enjoyed it quite a bit though I think i still prefer the original campaign. Retooling the levels and bossfights for Specter Knight was a huge improvement over the Plague Knight DLC where you were playing through levels designed for another type of character which kinda trivialized a lot of that campaign. I did really enjoy the tone of Plague Knight though which leads to one of my small gripes with Specter of Torment. The more serious the story gets the worse it gets for me in Shovel Knight, so the more serious tone of this campaign was a bit of a bummer after the fun and goofy stuff in Plague Knight (though there is definitely some goofy stuff in Specter of Torment). The wall running was also a bit finicky and reminded me of early AC games a bit where Specter Knight would sometimes jump off a corner and into a pit without it feeling quite like it was my fault.

Overall though I had a lot of fun going through the levels and it felt really different from the two previous campaigns which was nice. I also didn`t pay any extra money for it, so that kinda absolves any small fault I have with the campaign.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Indeed, I bounced right off Plague Knight but Spectre Knight is excellent. The only thing I'd say is the scythe-dash trivialises every boss. The only one I've died on is Propeller Knight (because I fell below the platform, not because he killed me). Dying a lot more in the levels themselves just doing normal platforming, though. Got one more stage to go and then I assume there's some sort of final stage?

eddiephlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I own it on 3ds and think it is a great portable (pooping) game. I think it is a must buy if you own the switch!

adulfzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought it day one on the Switch, it was great and perhaps even better than the Shovel Knight campaign itself. It was quite surprising when I really didn't enjoy my short time with the Plague Knight campaign. It was also a good way test the stick and the d-pad on the joycons for 2d platformers and it works better than expected.

jeremyf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 11

I started playing it yesterday and man, am I really enjoying it so far! They put a lot more creativity and effort into this campaign with the new levels, bosses, etc. that just wasn't there for Plague Knight. I also love how you can play the stages in any order now. Really pulled me back into the game!