skate[dot]

Jimbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jimbot

Woo yeah! Skate 4 is in the works! I loved those games! I can't wait to learn more!

... oh.

Is it too late to unwant a new skate game? I have severe whiplash from my enthusiasm for the game bottoming out. Holy moley, this is awful. Part of me should have known better.

heavyweather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, Apex is free to play and great. Fortnite is free to play, and people seem to like it alright. If Skate's mechanics are super solid, and they monetize via cosmetics, who cares? Always-online is kind of a bummer as I'd like to play it on the Steam Deck, but perhaps there's an offline mode. We'll see.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EA seems to enjoy bringing back series that people like and introducing a bunch of shit they don't like. Like, I can understand EA's calculus in pissing off fans of the original Star Wars Battlefront. Star Wars is mainstream enough that if a bunch of people who loved it in 04 and 05 jump ship, casual fans and kids might still be satisfied with what they get.

The Skate. series, on the other hand, doesn't have as much mainstream appeal. So if fans of the original who were excited for Skate 4 don't co-sign this, I don't know if the typical tactic of paying streamers and youtubers to advertise it will carry it. Here's hoping the game will still be good. :-) (?)

As much as I want a new Burnout, I can't help but assume it'll be microtransacted out the ass too.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cikame

The trailer they showed was extremely in touch and showed loads of promise for the game, so it would be a shame if they ruined it with corporate greed.

Skate has an amazing legacy, it's such a good game people still play it to this day and people will keep playing Skate 3 forever, not this one, because if it does end up being free to play the servers will shut down one day and it'll be gone, it ends up being a temporary experience.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By brian_

He's a 10, but won't pay $4.99 for a virtual Elements deck.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lab392: Nah, I think having it as free-to-play can work very well. Skate's a very no pressure series. Let the whales pay for their in-game pairs of Converse whilst everyone else does kickflips in the free map.

Although I'm interested in the structure. They mention convenience so is there a character progression? I only played the first one but, whilst you didn't grind stats, you did have an explicit end goal for the career mode.

Also, try talking about a free-to-play skate game without mentioning ramps and grind.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My biggest disappointment is that I find skate to be such a meditative game for me, and now I'll have to be watching Darth Vader try and do a kickflip while I'm just wanting to ride around. That still sounds fun, but isn't the type of fun I want all the time. So yeah, like others, I hope there is the ability to just ride around solo.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8  Edited By Nodima

Until proven otherwise, Apex is what they say their model is and no matter what you have to say about their pricing, that’s a game that if you keep up with on even just a semi-regular basis you’ll get everything you want out of it. Until I stopped playing for about 4 hours a week near the middle of season 4 I had no trouble maxing out the battle pass and affording new characters.

Perhaps even more importantly, almost every skin looked pretty stupid/bad, so if Skate wants to pursuer that as well, even better.

Obviously, Skate doesn’t immediately have anything as obvious as “new season, new character” but that just makes me even less nervous, really. As long as I can enjoy playing the game however I want and never feel PRESSURE to spend, that’s what matters. I’ll gladly let the whales float my boat.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By wollywoo

F2P can be OK. I had a great time playing Hearthstone for many, many hours without paying a dime. I'm also not at all tempted by anything cosmetic. And if they have actual worthwhile content behind a paywall, I might pay.

That said, I think I prefer the traditional game structure for this kind of game. I just want to do all the challenges and finish it. I don't need some new event every day.

I do feel a tiny bit queasy about how predatorial this kind of thing can be on those who can't afford it and don't have the self-control.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

My favorite experience in Skate. was just skating around ramps online, especially when server lag would regularly make everything slow motion, but I'm wondering what the "conveniences" will be. Skate.'s whole thing is that the character is only as good as the player, so I guess there will be grinding to unlock other things, like maps, modes and status which can be bypassed with money.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Danny Way's ramp is 40% complete. Or pay 500$kateCoinz to complete it now."

"Having trouble with this 360 nollie flip? $2.99. We've got you covered."

Seriously, I fucking hate that flip over the stairs in the first game. I'd pay to skip it.