Every Trailer From Sony's May State Of Play: What Impressed You? How Would You Rank It Overall?

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1 ZombiePie  Staff

I'm a bit late getting this thread up on the site, but better late than never, right? While Sony did make it clear from the onset their May State of Play event would only be around an hour, most people came away satisfied with at least one thing shown during the event. Rating the event as a whole, however, is a bit trickier.

The Game Trailers

Concord

• What is it? - A sci-fi 5-Vs-5 PvP Shooter. Some people have grouped this with other multiplayer hero shooters and the game seems to have a similar tone to Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy. Unlike other games of this type right now, it will not be free-to-play and will instead be sold for $39.99.
  • Release Date: August 23, 2024

Silent Hill 2

• What is it? - It's the much-anticipated remake of Silent Hill 2 by Bloober Team! Many that have analyzed this trailer have already noticed a handful of notable creative differences between the characters, their clothing, and behaviors which has raised some concerns if Bloober understand what made the original game "work."
  • Release Date: October 2024

Monster Hunter Wilds

• What is it? - It's the latest entry in the Monster Hunter franchise! It is important to note that this game will be multiplatform and will even be sporting a PC release as well.
  • Release Date: 2025

Where Winds Meet

• What is it? - An adventure RPG set in a highly fictionalized Wuxia-inspired world. During demos to the press, the game's developer revealed that you can play the game solo or with hundreds of friends on the same server.
  • Release Date: 2024

Astro Bot

• What is it? - It's a new entry in the nostalgia trip Astro Bot series! Much like Astro's Playroom, it looks like you'll be platforming with Astro in recreations of classic PlayStation games. Also, it sounds like Playroom just got an update that is meant to act as a lead-in to this game.
  • Release Date - September 6, 2024

Dynasty Warriors Origins

• What is it? - The granddaddy of hack n slash games is BACK, BAYBEE! No really, with Musou games relatively popular with some mainstream gaming communities thanks to Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes, I'm down to fending off the Yellow Turban Rebellion another time.

Ballad of Antara

• What is it? - It's a soulslike based on a new IP. This game comes from TipsWorks Studio and is described by its team as a gritty soulslike that will task players to control multiple characters and transition between two unique worlds. The game also is advertised to have high fidelity graphics and an epic sense of scale.

Behemoth

• What is it? - Skydance's Behemoth is one of two games during the May State of Play meant to affirm that Sony has not forgotten about the PSVR 2. This VR title is an immersive combat action game where you traverse through a hostile environment. This game is also coming to Steam VR and the Meta Quest headsets.
  • Release Date: TBA (Delayed 8 months ago)

Infinity Nikki

• What is it? - The history behind this game is a bit weird. It's announced for PC, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, iOS, and Android and was first announced in 2022. Infinity Nikki is also the fifth entry in a long-standing series (i.e., Nikki Up2U) of open world gacha games that revolve around dress up, which this game seems to be copying.
  • Release Date: Q1 2025

Alien: Rogue Incursion

• What is it? - This is the second VR game during the May State of Play that reminded the world that the PSVR 2 is a thig that does indeed exist. It is a first-person horror survival game set in the Alien universe. Of slight note, this game is being advertised HEAVILY by Meta as it is one of the first big AAA VR games that will require users to upgrade from a Quest 2 to at least a Quest 3 device.
  • Release Date: Holiday 2024

Marvel Rivals

• What is it? - It is a hero shooter with Marvel characters which will include heroes and villains. Though the game is not an exclusive to PlayStation, there will be a closed beta in July on the PS5.
  • Release Date: TBA (Closed Beta in July 2024)

PC Port of God of War Ragnarök

• What is it? - What more do I need to say? It is a PC port of God Of War Ragnarok. Hopefully this game will run smoothly at launch, which is not something that can be said about previous marquee PlayStation titles on PC. Also, this game will require a PSN account.
  • Release Date: Sep 19, 2024

Path of Exile 2

• What is it? - Path Of Exile 2 is coming to console! Look, I'm a Path of Exile pervert, but there's no way you will ever get me to play this or the first game on a console. Have you ever seen what the sphere grids look like in this series? There's no way you can get me to navigate those using a controller. Also, this will be coming out for Xbox Series X/S as well. But hey, it is nice to see the console versions getting full cross-play and cross-progression.
  • Release Date: TBD

Until Dawn

• What is it? - This is a reboot of the original Until Dawn. Though not entirely confirmed yet, there are rumors that this reboot will more closely mimic the story of the Until Dawn movie adaptation that was announced earlier this year. Again, that is a rumor, but it is still odd seeing this game get a remake even if its is barely ten years old.
  • Release Date: Fall 2024

Garten of Banban

• What is it? - A meme horror game. Well, it is a meme game for some and a truly horrifying experience for others. As is the case with a lot of horror games popular on streaming platforms, this game utilizes a simplistic art style with lo-fi graphics and takes pleasure in spooking you with cutesy looking enemies and avatars.
  • Release Date: OUT NOW!

So, How Would You Rate The May State of Play?

I'm a homer for the Astro games, so, the event likely ranks higher for me than most. Nonetheless, there weren't that many other games that leaped out to me as genuine surprises or big games to get my blood pumping about the future of the PS5.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Uhhh...Astrobot is a must buy for me and Monster Hunter looks cool, though I have a long history of being interested in and sometimes buying but never playing Monster Hunter games.

Otherwise it's mostly remakes, smaller projects, or multiplayer stuff I'm super tired of. Just not a lot for me here. Path of Exile will probably be good. Dynasty Warriors COULD be good but given what they did with 9 they deserve absolutely no trust whatsoever here. Where Winds Meet certainly looks cool, but I hear "hundreds of players on the same server" and I think "formless slop without story or balance."

There are just so many slop games these days. Games without direction or curation that are just like "here's a world, go make your own fun" and yeah that works when it's something like Minecraft with complicated physics interactions and tons of stuff to do, but when it's just a game with a few things you can do in it I'd much rather have a curated experience that explores mechanics and narrative.

But enough about Skull and Bones!

I think it was a mediocre but not disastrous showing, and Astro has a good shot of being my GOTY so...meh. Putting a stupid meme game as your "and out NOW" game was certainly a choice though.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Astrobot and Monster Hunter, although the latter is a maybe due to my experiences with World.

I should play Path of Exile. I need a Diablo in my life and that one's free to play.

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4 brian_  Online

It's entirely possible that I don't play a single game shown in that showcase. I like Astro Bot fine enough, but I'm not dying to play another one. Maybe I'd check out the Marvel thing if it's free-to-play.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think i'm echoing many people when i say Astro bot is the only interesting thing that was shown, Concord is completely unbearable, after listening to ravenous Mon Hun fans for years i jumped in with World and found it very lacking, i don't think Bloober quite have the chops to remake Silent Hill 2, and i'm interested to see what they've done with Dynasty Warriors though if it's focused on using a created character that kind of changes what i enjoy about DW and that is loads of characters, but we'll see.

I don't really have an opinion on the rest of the games, Infinity Nikki gets points for being unexpected, if you want to go on an adventure and wear lots of dresses it seems like the only game for you :P.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By AV_Gamer

For me, it's Silent Hill 2 and of course Astro Bot. I see a lot of people being negative about the Silent Hill 2 remake, but based on the trailers they have shown up to this point, its looking like a solid remake. And what can I say about Astro Bot that hasn't already been said. It looks amazing. Possibly a Game of the Year contender. Astro's Playroom was a nice surprise, and it's looking like they took the gloves off and are really going in making a charming, solid playing platformer, which will no doubt fully use the Dual Sense controller as a bonus. Astro is slowly looking like PlayStation's new mascot, after Crash and Nathan Drake.

Now all we need is Knack 3 and the PS5 will be a sweeping success. Yup.

BTW: I feel sorry for the people behind Concord. The game looks like it will be DOA after it launches, like Suicide Squad, unless the gameplay is amazing. It wouldn't be the first time people were down about a game before release, only to be pleasantly surprised. Heck, the Guardians of the Galaxy game, Concord is clearly based on, was such an example.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigsocrates

@av_gamer: Astro does seem like the new Mascot, and while the games are good...I think the character is very bland and hard to care about. It has cute animations and sounds and all but it completely lacks personality beyond "corporate mascot that makes cute noises and dances."

I would unironically welcome Knack 3. Though Knack is an even worse mascot. But I miss Knack and everything he represented. He was from a time when Sony was still interested in mid-sized games that weren't live service.

I do feel sorry for the people who worked on Concord as artists or programmers or whatever, but not for the creative leads who, unless they were dictated to completely by executives, totally failed to read the room. It's possible it's good enough to eat Overwatch's remaining lunch, but this feels like showing up for a gold rush years after everything has been picked clean. Lawbreakers and Battleborn were 7 and 8 years ago. I can't believe they're actually charging $40 for it. It should at least be free on PlayStation Plus, like Destruction All-Stars, which I played at launch for free and still want my money back for.

If this were a Guardians of the Galaxy style single or co-op game I'd be intrigued. But $40 for a hero shooter? It would need to be getting at least high 80s on Metacritic for me to even consider it.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Ben_H

Monster Hunter looks great. Astrobot seems like it'll be fun though I'm unlikely to ever play it since I don't have a PS5.

Concord seems like a game that's dead on arrival. There's so many other hero shooter games on the market and many of those are free and cross-platform. Concord gives off the vibe of a game that was greenlit in like 2018-2019 at the tail end of Overwatch being huge and Guardians of the Galaxy being massively popular. I feel bad for all of the folks that worked on it because it looks fine technically. It's just that it looks like a game that needed to be released 4-5 years ago to stand a chance. It's behind on every trend and gives off the vibe that some suit in a boardroom demanded it be made to chase a couple trends.

I can't comment on any of the other stuff since it's for people into way different games than I am.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

As a Musou sicko, it was nice to get the reveal of the next Dynasty Warrior game. That and Astro Bot were pretty much the only new stuff here that really stood out to me personally. Monster Hunter Wilds also continues to look very good.

Half of this presentation being consumed by Concord really took the wind out of its sails. Pricing it at $40 makes it seem like they're trying to position this as the next Helldivers 2, but I just don't see it happening. If it had released 5+ years ago, it may have had a shot, but at this point, it has the immediate impression of feeling tired and played out.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, astrobot is the main draw for me.

i don't really play multiplayer games (competitive ones the least), so 50% to 75% of most presentations fly right past me and never find purchase.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Ben_H
@mellotronrules said:

i don't really play multiplayer games (competitive ones the least), so 50% to 75% of most presentations fly right past me and never find purchase.

Yup, same for me. It's like during Keighley's thing yesterday, at one point Vinny and Alex over at Nextlander basically commented that they'd hit the portion of the show that they had no idea what was going on for the thing being shown, that there are a lots of different video games for people who want different things, and all of this is okay.

I'm unlikely to ever play a Hoyoverse game or a hero shooter. That's okay. There's people that like those games and I'm happy for them. I'll just be over here playing 20 year old PS2 games.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Nothing really there for me but some cool-looking stuff. Fingers crossed PoE is Steam Deck compatible.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a Monster Hunter die-hard so I'm sure I'll buy that next one, but I do hope that some of the ridiculously drawn-out endgame grind from Sunbreak will get seriously toned down.

I've been known to like me some Musou games, but the devil will be in the details with this one. Often the first game after they reboot the character movesets isn't that compelling (DW6, DW9). But I'll be interested to see more gameplay and find out more about what they're actually doing with this one.

GTxForza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Astro Bot looks okay in my opinion, while the rest of others, I'm not interested with them.

@ben_h said:

Monster Hunter looks great. Astrobot seems like it'll be fun though I'm unlikely to ever play it since I don't have a PS5.

Concord seems like a game that's dead on arrival. There's so many other hero shooter games on the market and many of those are free and cross-platform. Concord gives off the vibe of a game that was greenlit in like 2018-2019 at the tail end of Overwatch being huge and Guardians of the Galaxy being massively popular. I feel bad for all of the folks that worked on it because it looks fine technically. It's just that it looks like a game that needed to be released 4-5 years ago to stand a chance. It's behind on every trend and gives off the vibe that some suit in a boardroom demanded it be made to chase a couple trends.

I can't comment on any of the other stuff since it's for people into way different games than I am.

Yeah, Concord looks weird to me.