Was your first Souls game your favorite?

• 151 results
TAFAE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Was your first Souls game your favorite? (615 votes)

Yes 43%
No 46%
I have only played one Souls game (Bloodborne counts too) 6%
I haven't played any Souls games but I wanted to answer anyway 5%

I'm just wondering what you guys think, since I have heard from a variety of places - most recently from the Beast crew - that your first Souls game tends to be your favorite. It's not the case for me, I played them all in release order and my favorite is Dark Souls, so I'm wondering if there are more of us out there.

I'm specifically talking about Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Dark Souls II (and SotFS), and Bloodborne (and I guess Dark Souls III if you have it??). Maybe the common knowledge is true that everyone prefers their first Souls game, maybe this is a stupid preemptive poll and Dark Souls III will soon be everyone's favorite, who knows?

• 
Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I played Dark Souls when it came to PC and couldn't get into it. I played quite a bit of Bloodborne last year, but didn't finish it. I definitely liked Bloodborne quite a bit more, though.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Nope. I started with Demon's Souls, and I'd hafta say that it's the 'worst' (relatively speaking of course - it's still brilliant on its own terms) of the Souls + Bloodborne games. Stupid world/character tendency nonsense. Weirdly enough I also ended up finding Dark Souls more difficult than Demon's, even with my previous experience in tow.

lylebot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I played Demon's Souls first, but I think it and Dark Souls I are tied for my favorite--I just can't choose between them.

I'll never forget the experience in World 1-1 of Demon's Souls, getting to some new point, dying, getting slightly further before dying, not knowing how close I was to finishing, opening shortcuts past areas I had gone through a dozen times, and all of it based on learning how to play the game rather than making numbers go up, since you can't level up until you've finished 1-1. Once you can level up it gets a little less mysterious, and a lot of the bosses were poorly balanced (I was able to defeat almost all of them by just hanging back and shooting fire arrows). But the world design is great throughout, and there are still bosses like Firelurker that evoke that same feeling of having to learn how to play the game rathe than just overpowering it.

With Dark Souls, it was the fully-interconnected world that drew me in and that I love the best. Everything about the game through Anor Londo is amazing, and if that was the whole game it would probably top Demon's Souls for me. After Anor Londo the areas get less interesting and less well-developed, enough so that I can't say I prefer the game as a whole to Demon's Souls.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Might be a bit early with DS III around the corner, but yeah my first (Demon's) is still my favorite. I just love how uncompromisingly oppressive and thick the atmosphere is in that game.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I played Demon's Souls first but Dark Souls remains my favourite of them all. I've played all four games so far with around 30+ hours in each game but Dark Souls is still the only one I ever finished.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yeah, but that's certainly not because it was my first, if that's what they were gettin at. I fuckin really love the story and setting of Demon's Souls.

I'm currently playing through Bloodborne, and it's probably my second favourite at this point. Apparently it goes all-out cosmic horror at some point (I only just beat the Blood-Starved Beast), so when it does I wouldn't be surprised if it overtook Demon's Souls, despite that already going there for me with its Old One (and the fantastic Tower of Latria; Old Monk is one of the coolest boss fight ideas I've seen in a game, and was especially tense as someone who at the time really stressed out during PvP).

Mario Kart 64, Super Mario World, Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64. They weren't my first forays in those series, but ended being my favourite. Street Fighter V, Uncharted 2, Hitman: Blood Money, Devil May Cry 3, etc. I dunno, the whole first game thing always just seemed like a buncha nonsense.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Tennmuerti

Not really. Like some others have mentioned, despite playing Demon's Souls first, Dark Souls 1 was my favorite by a significant margin.

El_Funko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By El_Funko

I came late to the party, I played Dark Souls on PC first and it's definitely my favourite. Part of that is because it was my first game in a series I now love, but also because I really like the diverse environments in 1 compared to 2 or Bloodborne (and I haven't played Demon Souls).

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I played Demon's Souls first, then Bloodborne, then Dark Souls then Dark Souls II.

My order of favorite is

1. Bloodborne

2. Dark Souls/Demon's Souls

3. Dark Souls II

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the games as they were coming out and until Boodborne (which is now my favourite) Demon`s Souls was probably my favorite. I definetly think there is something special about your first experience with the series (especially when I didn`t really know anything about it).

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Demon's Souls first and it's probably still my favourite.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Zeik

I played Demon's Souls first, and there are a few things I like better about it, but no, I wouldn't say it's my favorite. Honestly they all kinda mesh together and they each have their good and bad, but I'd probably have to put Dark Souls 1 at the top. Didn't really care for Bloodborne at all though. That one is far below the others, for a variety of reasons.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since you're including Bloodborne, no. I started with DS1, which I loved. DS2 filled a gap but wasn't as good. Bloodborne has been my favourite because I just enjoyed the speed and responsiveness of it, it was just more fun. I also enjoyed the narrative a lot more, even if the world wasn't quite as pleasant to look at.

With all that said, I personally don't really consider Bloodborne a souls game - although maybe for this particular question that doesn't make a difference!

shiro2809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By shiro2809

Demon's was my first, I've loved all of them since (except DaS2 for reasons), while I still love some of the systems/mechanics in Demon's that's absent from the later titles Bloodborne took the spot as my favorite, yet Bloodborne is the one I don't really want to play again for some reason, with Demon's or Dark 1 being the ones I'd happily go back to at any time.

EDIT: A big reason Demon's Souls is my favorite is a large part because of the bosses. They're mostly all puzzle-style bosses and I absolutely adore it. I'm a bit sad that they moved away from that as I'll always remember the Old Hero and sneaking around him, the feeling like a complete dick for having to kill Maiden Astrea when she just wants to be left alone to take care of the people that the world threw away, or splitting the sky open with the Stormbringer to defeat the Storm King. I miss bosses like those that were just fucking cool and had some cool mechanics in play. Sure, ManEater lives on via the Gargoyles but nothing feels as terrifying as fighting them on a small bridge, and while the Mirror Knight summons players to fight with it it just doesn't live up to walking up stairs to get a boss cutscene summoning a player (or npc if you're offline/unlucky) that could royally fuck your day up. That's not even including the black phantoms that appear when you're in pure black soul tendency, or their human selves that appear in pure white.

While some of the bosses were gimmicky and/or just plain easier than their worlds (the Swamp levels for example), they were some of the most memorable moments out of all the games. The main ones I love in the later games would be Artoreas from the DaS1 dlc, Mariah from Bloodbornes dlc, and Sif. All the others just aren't as memorable to me. Y'know what, fuck Bloodborne. Demon's Souls is still my favorite of them, Bloodborne can keep the 'coolest setting' with the Cthullu shit though.

bushpusherr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Demon's Souls was my first, but definitely isn't my favorite. There are elements of all of these games that I think each does better than any other in the series, but as a whole I think Dark Souls is probably still my favorite, but not by a large margin (I think Dark Souls 2 plays quite a bit better). I've beaten all of them multiple times and gone back to each after having completed newer ones. While I really love the world and atmosphere that Demon's Souls sets up, it is just far too tedious to be considered my favorite. World tendency and character tendency management, item burden, 1-chance crystal lizards, insane variety of upgrade materials, and while it might have a couple really challenging boss fights, almost all of them are complete pushovers.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I played them in order, but I still like Dark Souls the best of them all. The way it's put together--one consistent world to explore, with shortcuts tying back together in a cohesive manner--still makes it stand out as the best in my mind, not to mention the amount of time I've put into it across every version of the game.

peacebrother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#17  Edited By peacebrother

Nope. Played Demon's Souls before Dark Souls was out, and Dark Souls is my favourite. Demon's is an extremely close second. Dark Souls 2 is not in consideration. I played about 18 hours of Bloodborne when I borrowed my friends PS4, and don't feel too bad about not finishing it; it seems much better than 2 though.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Started with dark souls and it is my favorite.

burgavo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By burgavo

No, I played them all when they came out but I still think my fondest memories were of DarkSouls 1, as the step up from a hub with multiple worlds to warp to in Demons, to an intricately crafted inter connected world in Dark was what really wowed me. The exploration aspect is probably what I enjoy most about these games.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with Demon's Souls. I think the game has definite strengths, primarily world and character design, but my memory of the game is as a proof of concept, a rough draft of the games to come. The first Dark Souls is my favorite in the series so far.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I liked each one more than the last but I probably peaked at Bloodborne.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demons Souls was my first and is most definitely not my favourite. It had some really archaic design decisions (tendency) and in general just really poor balance (most bosses were throw away). Dark Souls 1 and 2 contend for my favourite position Dark Souls 1 being easily the best PvE experience, but I also heavily get into the PvP for these games which Dark Souls 2 is well and truly the most fleshed out in that regard.

Bloodborne sits inbetween for me, I thought it was a fantastic game but it had far too little content and was oversimplified. The DLC helped rectify a bunch of my issues with it but it still falls short compared to the Dark games.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By matatat

I was aware of Demon's Souls and played some of it before Dark Souls came out. I thought it was alright, but Dark Souls was the first time that I could play the game freely on my own console. I like the combat a lot more in Bloodborne though, but the world in Dark Souls is so fantastic. So it's a conditional yes.

I'm curious how I'm gonna feel about DS3 actually. I played DS2 when it came out but basically got stuck on my desire to get the Moonlight Greatsword on the first playthough. I got so close to beating Freja so many times (but like two hits left and always killed) and just got frustrated with it and stopped playing. I started up the PS4 version after buying a couple copies for me and my buddy and boy, it's rough compared to Bloodborne. Not just in the graphics department but also the combat and movement just feel kinda crap after coming pretty freshly off Bloodborne (which I also had to restart after stopping halfway through when it came out). So I'm wondering if it will feel a bit better in DS3 or if I'm just used to the movement and speed of BB and can't go back.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Play Order:

1. Demon's
  2. Dark
  3. Dark 2

Best to worst:

1. Dark
  2. Demon's
  3. Dark 2

Demon's Souls was great in a jankly, obtuse, messed up kinda way. That game felt like it was actively fighting you and deliberately vague, but for some reason it did it in a way that I can get behind. Dark Souls refined a lot of that, but it also had this amazing sense of discovery and wonder. Dark Souls 2 refined the jank even further, but it (hilarously) feels soulless. There was just something about it that didn't resonate quite like it's predecessors.

I never played Bloodborne, but what I've seen leads me to believe it's better than DS2 but not as good as DS1.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yep. Warts and all, I still like Dark Souls I the best. DSII had better gameplay in a lot of ways, but the world lacked some of the magic of the first. I thought Bloodborne was OK, but I didn't like it well enough to immediately buy a Bloodborne 2.

I'm kinda hoping that DSIII mixes the world construction of I with the gameplay elements of II. I think that'd be good. The Bloodborne elements I can do without.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By confusedowl

Dark Souls 1 is my favourite and is technically the first souls game I played, but I beat Demon's Souls first.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, and it's really annoying when people try to explain away why someone likes a previous game more with that handwaving.

Order played: Release order

Order liked:
Dark Souls >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dark Souls II: SotFS (yes I'm counting it) > Dark Souls II >>>>>> Demon's Souls > Bloodborne

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By Marz

hmm i played Demon's Souls first, didn't finish it to the end, then Dark Souls came out and I couldn't stop playing it... So nope not in my case.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Shindig

Dark first. Also the first I beat. I feel that the first you beat becomes the favourite in most cases as that's when you get the whole schtick.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started with Dark Souls 1 and it's my favorite. Only other I played is DS2.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rafaelfc

I played Demon's Souls for a bit and did NOT get it at all... only fell in love with the series by the time Dark Souls came out.

To this day I haven't beat Demon's Souls (my ps3 died, so SONY please bring to the ps4). It's the only Souls game I haven't beat.

Jinoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#32  Edited By Jinoru

Played DkS first. I have over 100 hours in it on PC but Bloodborne is my favorite. Its so tight and dripping (heh) with themes and atmosphere. I got a PS4 and PS+ just for it and it paid for itself in spades.

I do love both a ton though.

DkS II can go die in the abyss, by the four Kings, again and again. Its a good looking game, the combat is fine, but man that world is the absolute worst in the series. Whatever redeeming qualities the DLC had are overshadowed by core game map ultra garbage.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Demon's Souls is my first, but Dark Souls is my favorite.

Its close though.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, I started with Dark Souls and it's probably near the bottom of my list? I can never really decide if I like it more than Demon, and can't really decide currently whether or not Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne is my favorite.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By Dixavd

I've only played Dark Souls 1 and 2 and my feelings on both are very close. I think that when including the dlc, the vistas and settings of Dark Souls 2 are much more memorable to me than 1. It's very close though. I'm not entirely sure: I like them for different reasons.

I should say that I played DS1 first. And just because it was first doesn't make it my favourite.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Demon Souls first, but Bloodborne is far and away my favorite.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yea i think dark souls is better in almost every regard compared to demon souls, and actually bloodborne may be my favorite.

I think this argument is used to defend dark souls 2 and bloodborne, which are both good or even great games in their own regard, but most people prefer Dark Souls 1.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played Demon's Souls first and it's my favourite for a pretty boring but important reason. When I played Demon's Souls I thought "wow this is amazing. If they can clean up the camera getting stuck or blocked by stuff, the wonky hitboxes and the framerate issues the next game will be perfect."

And then every single other game has had the exact same issues.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By militantfreudian

I started with Dark Souls 2, which I enjoyed so much that I decided to get the first before even finishing it. I played Dark Souls subsequently and I thought that it was better than Dark Souls 2. I played Bloodborne at release and throughout last year and it became my favorite. I do however think that I enjoyed Dark Souls 2 more than I would have, because it was my first. Merely by virtue of it being the first one I played, I had a ton of things to figure out and get acclimated to, and when it finally "clicked," it was very satisfying.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

I've only ever really played Demon's Souls. That game has a special place in my heart.

Takoyaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Demons' was my first and right now it's at third place behind Bloodborne at the top followed by Dark Souls. I kind of forget Dark Souls 2 sometimes.

Quicklyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Quicklyer

I think the first-is-your-favorite and first-is-the-only-hard-one theories are both true for the majority of people. Especially people new to the series.

My first was Demon's, and after playing Dark I was like "this is even more of the same than I was expecting" (a theme continued in the games to follow), and it took me a long time to realize Dark was as good if not better than Demon's.

But at this point my favorite is whichever I haven't played recently.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I played them all in order, including Demon's Souls. Didn't beat them all but played them as they came out. Bloodborne is easily my favourite so far. I just prefer the aesthetic and faster more offensive combat.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

No. I played them as they came out (importing Demon's Souls from the US before it officially released in Europe) but would call the first Dark Souls my favorite. Even so I was really burnt out on it by the time DS2 came around so that one became my new favorite for a good bit. Only recently have I started looking back at Dark Souls 1 and thinking that despite some things that were improved upon in the sequel, there were a few key things that it does that I just like better.

I played a bunch of Demon's Souls, probably tested some different characters, but only finished it once in the end (I finally revisited it around the time Brad did on the site). Deep diving into Dark Souls in a way I never did with Demon's Souls could be named the reason I enjoy it more. But I also think that it's just as likely that what changed between the two games were the reason it drew me in more to begin with.

Either way, I'm always hopeful that the next thing that comes along will be my new favorite thing. Dark Souls 3 has the look at least. I'm really looking forward to it.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Demons was my first (and definitely not my favorite) I dunno if it really counts, since I only played it for about an hour because I found it boring (I have since replayed it and enjoyed it).

Dark Souls was my first real experience with these games, but I'm having a hard time pinning it down as my favorite. There are things I think it did much better than the others, but at the same time it has some really bad parts as well. Ultimately I probably rate it higher than it deserves because it was my first though.

ToySoldier83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. Demon's Souls is my first and favorite. When Dark Souls came out I was not really into it and didn't enjoy it until the DLC came out (that Artorias fight). Dark Souls 2 I liked even less and only Bloodborne has been the only other "Souls" game to recapture the love I had for Demon's Souls.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

Played Demon's Souls first and it was horrible experience due to the fact that I tried to get trough with it just by myself. After I gave in and discovered (from the net) the best order to tackle the levels, it became OK game. Dark Souls1 was better game and experience, but I kind of missed the more eerie and mysterious atmosphere of the Demon's Souls.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I played dark souls first and thats my favorite I guess. But I dont like to compare the individual entries since they all have something to offer

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By atomicoldman

Demon's Souls is the best around and it pains me that the series has never really captured what made that game so special to me. Dark Souls 2 actually comes fairly close, but it's also a very different game. Almost as enjoyable, but for very different reasons.

Dark Souls and Bloodborne are ok, but nothing great. Dark Souls I think struggled a lot with finding a sense of balance and at times was difficult in arbitrary ways. Bloodborne felt lacking and unifnished, as well as unbalanced, but unlike Dark Souls the balance tipped in favor of the player, making the game a breeze.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I played Dark Souls first, but Bloodborne is my favorite. Those two are hovering right next to each other though, so the "mario kart syndrome" probably hold some water. The only one I don't hold much love for anymore is dks2. Enjoyed it a great deal in the first run when it was brand new, but any attempts to go back for the DLC just sours me on it more. Demon's is kinda cool, but it feels aged.