The Secret Society of Spelunky S-Rankers!

#1 Posted by BeachThunder (15155 posts) -

I did it :O I just S-ranked the game:

No Caption Provided

Also, some of screenshots of the hardest achievements:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The Speedlunky achievement was intense. I dug a hole and had no rope to get out, so I jumped on top of a monkey and boosted my way out of the hole.

No Caption Provided

The $0 achievement can get pretty nasty, particularly when gold can hide in trees, snow, and behind columns.

Anyway, post here if you've gotten a Spelunky S-Rank or if you have questions about any of the achievements.

#2 Posted by BisonHero (11583 posts) -

"You monster." - Patrick Klepek

Speedlunky, Low Scorer, and Good Teamwork all seem like achievements I will never have the dedication to get. Or do people get that last one by just starting a 2-player game and carrying the other player around for literally the whole game? Even then that sounds like a huge pain, because maaaaaaan, I'd prefer to be holding a shotgun.

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (15155 posts) -

@bisonhero: Well, I got Good Teamwork by just carrying a guy around. It's actually a pretty fun way of doing it. It's almost like carrying the key to the Temple, but it's a living key that has limited health. Also, you can let your 'partner' die and they will appear revived in a coffin in the next level. I decided not to do that though, it seemed a little too much like cheating to me =/

#4 Edited by pyromagnestir (4505 posts) -

@bisonhero: Well, I got Good Teamwork by just carrying a guy around. It's actually a pretty fun way of doing it. It's almost like carrying the key to the Temple, but it's a living key that has limited health. Also, you can let your 'partner' die and they will appear revived in a coffin in the next level. I decided not to do that though, it seemed a little too much like cheating to me =/

I really do want to try that one day. Sounds fun.

Though I'm never gonna s-rank Spelunky so I can't join this super secret society of yours.

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (17458 posts) -
#6 Posted by crithon (3979 posts) -

JESUS CHRIST...... How did you get past........ anything...... the game isn't that friendly without killing me.

#7 Posted by BeachThunder (15155 posts) -

@crithon said:

JESUS CHRIST...... How did you get past........ anything...... the game isn't that friendly without killing me.

Hm, if you have a specific enemy/trap you want me to help you with, let me know.

#8 Posted by crithon (3979 posts) -

@crithon said:

Hm, if you have a specific enemy/trap you want me to help you with, let me know.

well, I just got into the jungle section and kinda don't know what's happening or what's new, and where to find the dog. I'm the kind of gamer that's not a sadist, so I don't keep coming back after maybe one game of daily session and then just a simple run..... that and NES Spelunker memory traumatize me about this game...... like on a child molester trauma level. The jungle maybe you can help me, but the NES game I need a shrink.

#9 Edited by BeachThunder (15155 posts) -

@crithon said:

@beachthunder said:

@crithon said:

well, I just got into the jungle section and kinda don't know what's happening or what's new, and where to find the dog. I'm the kind of gamer that's not a sadist, so I don't keep coming back after maybe one game of daily session and then just a simple run..... that and NES Spelunker memory traumatize me about this game...... like on a child molester trauma level. The jungle maybe you can help me, but the NES game I need a shrink.

Yeah, the Jungle is one of the hardest sections in the game. Some tips:

• The dog can be located almost anywhere in the level - in a hole in a wall, underwater, or right next to the exit. It's best not to use up too many resources getting to the dog though.
  • Enemies/traps that first appear in the jungle: frogs, bees, tiki men (cave men with masks that throw boomerangs), mantraps (plants with teeth), piranhas, monkeys, jiang shi (jumping zombies), vampires, and tiki traps. All of which can be extremely deadly!
  • To get past vines that are located above spike pits; hold down the direction you want to go, hold up, hold run, and jump between the vines. You will always be able to quickly make it across the spike pit.
  • Running towards monkeys can be a good idea if they are in front of you - they will jump towards you, so if you run at them, they will end up jumping over you.
  • Orange frogs will explode after four seconds, so if you're careful, you can throw them away to your advantage.
  • In the dead are restless levels, there will always be a gun hidden under the ASH grave
  • It's worth destroying vampires for a cape, the best way to kill them is to hit them once and throw them into spikes. But be careful.

Anyway, I suppose that's enough jungle tips for now. The best tip though is to keep practicing the jungle and get a feel for it yourself. Although, maybe the game isn't for you (?) given what you've said, the game is very much geared towards playing over and over and over.

#10 Edited by EVO (4028 posts) -

Good job dude. I killed 12 shopkeepers and got 500,000 for the first time today.

#11 Posted by Icicle7x3 (1275 posts) -

S-Ranked it awhile ago on 360, I think Low Scorer was the most frustrating of the bunch. Speedlunky didn't give me as much trouble, I think I just got a really lucky seed for it.

Anyway, Grats! Welcome to the Club.

#12 Edited by crithon (3979 posts) -

@beachthunder said:

@crithon said:

@beachthunder said:

@crithon said:

Yeah, the Jungle is one of the hardest sections in the game. Some tips:

• The dog can be located almost anywhere in the level - in a hole in a wall, underwater, or right next to the exit. It's best not to use up too many resources getting to the dog though.
  • Enemies/traps that first appear in the jungle: frogs, bees, tiki men (cave men with masks that throw boomerangs), mantraps (plants with teeth), piranhas, monkeys, jiang shi (jumping zombies), vampires, and tiki traps. All of which can be extremely deadly!
  • To get past vines that are located above spike pits; hold down the direction you want to go, hold up, hold run, and jump between the vines. You will always be able to quickly make it across the spike pit.
  • Running towards monkeys can be a good idea if they are in front of you - they will jump towards you, so if you run at them, they will end up jumping over you.
  • Orange frogs will explode after four seconds, so if you're careful, you can throw them away to your advantage.
  • In the dead are restless levels, there will always be a gun hidden under the ASH grave
  • It's worth destroying vampires for a cape, the best way to kill them is to hit them once and throw them into spikes. But be careful.

Anyway, I suppose that's enough jungle tips for now. The best tip though is to keep practicing the jungle and get a feel for it yourself. Although, maybe the game isn't for you (?) given what you've said, the game is very much geared towards playing over and over and over.

hmmmm interesting, thanks for the tip

YYYYYEEEEEEEAAAAAAHHHH, Just did like 2 runs while you were typing it and went. "Nope I'm good till the next daily challenge." Sometimes Spelunky feels like a cruel joke that I don't quite get. So, I play it casual. If the art was like Odin Sphere or Muramasa, then I'd be like putting in some 80s montage training music.

Loading Video...

even the whole music to Spelunky sounds weird, like more like a C64 game.

#13 Edited by ichthy (1369 posts) -

Hmm, it seems that the Vita version doesn't have some of these achievements, which makes S-ranking so much easier.

#14 Posted by rmanthorp (4634 posts) -

Congrats duder. I'm still hunting co-op & 0 gold. The latter is TERRIFYING.

#15 Edited by Suits (367 posts) -
No Caption Provided

Grats.. For me it's just the mundane 1000 Plays "Addicted" and I don't intend to "scum" it by restarting adventure 371 times. Ironically it seems far more easy to get if you are bad at the game, so I think it's a pretty poor achievement. I beat hell after like 250 tries and at that point you just stop dying early. The rest I've had for a while now. Just that Daily don't go a long way to that play count.

#16 Posted by Suits (367 posts) -

"You monster." - Patrick Klepek

Speedlunky, Low Scorer, and Good Teamwork all seem like achievements I will never have the dedication to get. Or do people get that last one by just starting a 2-player game and carrying the other player around for literally the whole game? Even then that sounds like a huge pain, because maaaaaaan, I'd prefer to be holding a shotgun.

Good Teamwork is easier than it sounds and actually easier to do on your own anyway. Just have a second character alive when you beat Olmec, You get coffins to revive the other guy, so you could even play normally and pick it him/her up at 4-3. Then exit to Olmec and lure Olmec to one side - bomb a whole in the floor - done. And you can even sacrifice the second character on an altar which counts as much as a damsel. So it's very easy to get a Kapala and invigoration this way.

#17 Posted by cthomer5000 (1413 posts) -

0 money is BY FAR the hardest challenge in the game IMHO. I got everything on the 360, but have been stuck on the low scorer one on my vita. Kind of wanted to smash it when a croc man telefragged me on 4-2 today.

#18 Edited by ChrisHarris (287 posts) -
No Caption Provided

For some strange reason, I now have a fear of money.

#19 Edited by Seedofpower (4087 posts) -

Oh, I'm apart of that society!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided