Star Citizen Client Expected to be Around 100GB!

• 50 results
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That's the direction most big budget games are headed. PC-only games especially.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That's an illegal size.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By slyspider

Is this game coming out? We will be using Exabyte drives by then so no worries

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kind of inevitable with the resolution/detail of the assets.

Franstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring it on.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just means this game is biiig. I like that.

Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I took me a few hours to download the Hanger and Dogfight module which was only 21 GB, and I have awesome internet and yet I was only able to do 2 mb/s at max. I kind feel bad for the people with shitty interent in Canada and Australia or where ever that have to download 100 gb and after that 2-6 gb patches.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope this game is awesome (just as I pretty much hope every game is awesome), but with all of the independent funding and weighty claims from the devs, I can't shake the feeling that Star Citizen might suffer from being a bit bloated.

100GB isn't crazy, as most "next gen" PC releases are approaching at least half that, but it seems endemic of this odd impression that there might be a bunch of stuff in this game, without a whole lot of satisfying game to tie it all together.

Still, just a pessimistic view of a strange project that could turn out great. Hope so!

Zelyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Zelyre

Pretty understandable. I mean, look at the ships. Dat assets!

You have external ship view, internal ship view, characters, all with textures that, at least in the videos I've seen on youtube look incredible.

Look at the texture mods for Skyrim; there are some that are 2-3 gig in size that only cover say... Whiterun.

It would be swell if they had lower res texture options for those who are on limited connections.

Jorbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not surprised. The sheer amount of detail they plan to put into this game definitely implies a big file size.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope we get a leap in affordable graphics cards so I can actually enjoy new games that push the limits. Right now I'm not wielding enough power. :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

I hope this is the game everyone that donated money dreamed of because I still think it sounds too good to be true. Sure I would get some amount of schadenfreude if it fails but honestly I don't want any game to suck.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why would you get pleasure from any video game failing? Are you some dude posing as a gamer? Wtf.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope we get a leap in affordable graphics cards so I can actually enjoy new games that push the limits. Right now I'm not wielding enough power. :/

We should finally see the first die shrink since late 2011 by the end of the year or early next year. That will make for a fairly substantial performance increase across the board when paired with new architectures.

Crembaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope!

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: That sounds great (and expensive...!)

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Is Star Citizen just Feature Creep: The Game?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Funkydupe

@beachthunder: I guess a bigger budget allows for a more complex game? I guess 300+ developers allows them to do more without delaying too long? I don't know. :)

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

That sounds a little bloated.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Star Citizen just Feature Creep: The Game?

People bring that up a lot and it's a valid concern. They've stopped adding additional features at this point and the general plan is that some of those will come later on after release of the game. Time will tell as to if all the promises can be full filled but they most certainly have the budget at this point to make a proper run at it. It helps that they're very up front with their community and maintain a regular stream of updates on what's happening.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's fine don't worry that games never coming out anyway.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

That's it?

Max Payne 3 is 50 gigs.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many features. I hope it fails.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your swings are fast and dramatic :P

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#26  Edited By fisk0

At this point this "we're targeting the computers that will be available in a couple of years" sounds more and more like an excuse not to try to optimize the stuff they've got.

Evochron Mercenary is 150 MB.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@funkydupe said:

Your swings are fast and dramatic :P

:D

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Why would you get pleasure from any video game failing? Are you some dude posing as a gamer? Wtf.

You're telling be that a game promising everything under the sun and that many gamers have paid ridiculous amounts to crowd source being a colossal cluster fuck wouldn't be hilarious in a sick twisted kind of way? I didn't give Chris Roberts any money so what do I care? Again I hope Star Citizen is good but if deriving potential schadenfreude from its failure is wrong than I don't want to be right.

I also hate the hype surrounding surrounding Star Citizen. I too have been caught up in the hype of several unreleased games when I was younger so I know what it is like but this feels different than your typical excitement. I just can't help but get annoyed about how this weird cult like following of people must vehemently defend Star Citizen anytime anyone is the least bit critical about it. All I know is beware if Chris Roberts ask the Star Citizen faithful to move to South America to form Robertstown and issues matching tracksuits and a pair of Nike Decades.

One more thing Duder > Gamer FYI

MobiusFun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MobiusFun

It would probably take me 4 afternoons and 1/3rd of my bandwidth cap to download this. Fuuuuuuck that. I talked about this with my friend last night though. He lives an hour and a half away and has decent internet with no monthly caps. When the game comes out, I'll just run my laptop up there, start the download, and pick it up the next weekend. Hopefully the patches aren't too frequent.

It really depresses me to think that I'll have to move in order to play the latest games because of shitty American internet.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andrack said:

It would probably take me 4 afternoons and 1/3rd of my bandwidth cap to download this. Fuuuuuuck that. I talked about this with my friend last night though. He lives an hour and a half away and has decent internet with no monthly caps. When the game comes out, I'll just run my laptop up there, start the download, and pick it up the next weekend. Hopefully the patches aren't too frequent.

It really depresses me to think that I'll have to move in order to play the latest games because of shitty American internet.

Worse for me. But on the upside I already have an account so i just need to patch the install every couple of months and let the size of it slowly creep up.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Funkydupe

@bartok: cult? You seem to take it all very seriously. It is a video game and some people with paying jobs want to see it happen. The most frequent pledge is like 40 bucks us btw.

I don't take pleasure in any game failing, gaming is bigger than that, and I appreciate that stuff is happening in my favorite genres now maybe partly because of Star Citizen and its infamy. If a game is successful in any way someone will hate it. If it fails it won't be the first nor the last.

If you're what a duder is now I'm thankful to not be identified as one. I'm a video gamer first and foremost and that means I want games to come out, preferably interesting ones, gladly the ones pushing limits in one way or another. Finding reasons to hate anything is easy if you spend enough time focusing on the negatives.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Well given that Star Citizen is basically some sort of evil computer god, I'm surprised it only takes up 100 GB

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have already seen games with much more controlled ideas and design get to 35-40 gig. I am not stunned an over produced game that is trying to be everything to everyone and using resources that are pointlessly big is running 100 gig.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, curse them for trying. Those bastards. They should have stuck with the initial 2 million dollar budget plan.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@geraltitude: Max Payne 3 is 35 GB on PC. Still big, but not as crazy as 50, let alone 100.

From the back of my PC copy.
From the back of my PC copy.
GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@clairvoyantvibrations: right, I was exaggerating! :P Dragon Age and Destiny are 40ish aren't they? GTAV and Wolfenstein are pretty much 50. So Star Citizen being 100 doesn't seem too big or crazy. It's big but I'm not falling outing of my chair stunned!

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kinda bottles the mind how huge the scale and budget on this is. this has to be far and away the most successful crowd-funded anything.

hugh_jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I'm not sure a crowdfunded project can be called successful that hasn't yet been released. I've paid money for this thing and am completely expecting it to crash and burn in one way or another. On the other hand it might come out and then there will be no need for any other games. Ever.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ichthy

@bismarck said:

I took me a few hours to download the Hanger and Dogfight module which was only 21 GB, and I have awesome internet and yet I was only able to do 2 mb/s at max. I kind feel bad for the people with shitty interent in Canada and Australia or where ever that have to download 100 gb and after that 2-6 gb patches.

I thought it was pretty funny that Canada was the first country you associated with shitty internet, and not like...any South American country.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I mean, I feel like this is just the future now. Something as ambitious as Star Citizen is no doubt going to push the boundaries on computer hardware. Luckily Terabyte hard drives are pretty cheap now so I dont see it as that big a deal. My only concern is downloading all of that... if only fiber internet providers were more nationwide in the US....

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#42 gamer_152  Moderator

I know some people are downplaying it but I think that's absolutely nuts. These kinds of sizes may well be the future but the fact we're seeing something like that now is what makes it exceptional.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope they have a solution for people with capped bandwidth

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By pyrodactyl

That's the direction most big budget games are headed. PC-only games especially.

Yep, all those big PC only games in development right now... wait... are there any big PC only games in development outside of Star Citizen?

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bartok: cult? You seem to take it all very seriously. It is a video game and some people with paying jobs want to see it happen. The most frequent pledge is like 40 bucks us btw.

I don't take pleasure in any game failing, gaming is bigger than that, and I appreciate that stuff is happening in my favorite genres now maybe partly because of Star Citizen and its infamy. If a game is successful in any way someone will hate it. If it fails it won't be the first nor the last.

If you're what a duder is now I'm thankful to not be identified as one. I'm a video gamer first and foremost and that means I want games to come out, preferably interesting ones, gladly the ones pushing limits in one way or another. Finding reasons to hate anything is easy if you spend enough time focusing on the negatives.

You need to relax bud, methinks you're the one taking this a tad too seriously.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the amount of content they say are going into this game nothing short of 100Gb seems legit.

That is unless they will "randomly generate" everything out of one texture ala No mans sky. Then you can nicely fit it all into an floppy disc.

Gruff182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im ok with PC games going in this direction, heavy compression defeats the purpose of having fancy hardware.

Maybe follow the trend of having an optional 'high res' download, to cater to people with shit internet.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_last_starfighter
The_Last_Starfighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bismarck said:

Is this Ryckert posing as a user? Canada and Australia kinda feel bad for your shitty ignorance.

vaportra1l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, they make 5 TB hard drives now. That's like 2% of 5 TB. However they will offer the game on usb drives, at least the base install. I am supposed to get one with my pledge. There's new tech announced that will make 10 TB SSDs viable too. I say bring it on, the game already looks amazing on good hardware.