A nice surprise. And framerate on Switch version is really good

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

The texture quality is rubbish, but that's not unusual for remakes from this era. In my mind, I feel like I remember the sense of speed feeling slower on this game because of the lower framerate, but it runs smoothly and feels fast.

I have a lot of nostalgia for this game. To be honest, I still have a lot of nostalgia for Episode One - I don't think I could watch it and enjoy it now, but I was ten when I saw it and I thought it was incredibly cool. I played the game a ton and it was one of my favourite N64 racers. I only had an N64 (and played PC games), so I feel like I got used to slower framerates in racing games - Extreme-G and Diddy Kong Racing are both games that I loved, but in hindsight I can actually remember them feeling slower. I don't know how long the nostalgia will last, but having a portable version of a game that is near and dear to my heart is a nice, warm, fuzzy feeling, especially since I had no idea that a remake was in the works.

It's £12.29 on Switch, which is probably a bit too expensive if you don't have the nostalgia for the game, but if you're an N64 kid like I am I'd recommend checking it out. Now we just need to start the petition for an Extreme-G remake, right? And also, why hasn't there been a new F-Zero game in forever? F-Zero X was just about the only racing game on N64 that DID have a good framerate and sense of speed, and it's probably the best of the bunch even if it's not my favourite.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I bought it on PS4 from Limited Run just to have a boxed copy to look at. Good to know the switch port is fun. I'd really like to know how the motion controls on this game feel. I played the arcade version before and having a home version with similar controls would be very nice!

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, dude! Blasted through the Switch port and loved every second. Shocked at how well the framerate holds up.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

This is good to hear! This is the one racing game I ever really liked, mostly because of the Star Wars aesthetic. I just don't about cars; they do nothing for me. I might have to grab this at some point.

Drachmalius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

sounds like a nice pickup in a sale. I do love racing games on Switch and have some nostalgia, but the price is just a tad too steep. glad to hear they did it justice. what I’d really like is a racer revenge port, that game had some really fun tracks.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

sounds like a nice pickup in a sale. I do love racing games on Switch and have some nostalgia, but the price is just a tad too steep. glad to hear they did it justice. what I’d really like is a racer revenge port, that game had some really fun tracks.

I know you're talking a port specific to Switch, but there is a Racer Revenge port available on PS4 via the PSN Classics program.

Drachmalius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Drachmalius

@inevpatoria: yup, I picked that up already. Would just love to have it portable ;)

Avatar image for theoracleofgame
theoracleofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Played through the whole thing over the last week. It's fun! I find the framerate chugs in portable mode at the beginning when all the racers are on screen at once, but mostly solid performance.