Has the performance gotten any better?

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

I really want to get this game, but I'm having a crisis on which platform to get it on. I have a standard non-Pro PS4, and I was wondering if the patches since launch have made this game perform any better. I could get it on PC, but it's a rather low-end PC so I would rather not do it there because I don't think I would be able to run it adequately.

PS4 is my first choice, but if it's truly terrible on the PS4, I have no problem getting it on the PC. Any info on whether the standard PS4 version is alright now with the patches would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Debating the Xbox version, so any reports on the X would be appreciated, too!

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nope. It runs okay at best on the X and the load times are insane. It is sapping my strength.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I thought it was okay on the X, if you could handle Sekiro I think you'll be fine.

No idea about PS4, sorry.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No.

@csl316 I played on an Xbox One X. It's playable there, but I'd recommend the "Quality" mode. This caps the game at 30 frames-per-second, which ends up being a much, much smoother experience. The "Performance" mode almost never hits 60, but moreover never stays consistent. It's constantly pinballing between 31, then 43, then 37, then 51. It's a nightmare to look at and, honestly, makes the game harder to play.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played and finished it on a base PS4.

In its current state, performance is still inconsistent, but better than launch. I still get the random freezing, where it will stop for about 10 seconds. I am also still getting some slow-down every once and a while. Although, thankfully, both of these issues usually do not happen during combat or traversal. FWIW, I never had the game crash.

I would say it is still playable, depending on your tolerance for the above issues.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

@csl316: I played on the X in visual mode and I thought it was perfectly fine - better than Sekiro ran on the X in some places.

Load times are rough though - and I mean like respawning from death load times not startup load times.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@inevpatoria: That was the digital foundry recommendation as well. Go for quality mode to get a locked frame rate. A little disappointed it's not a better state as I too am thinking of picking it up to play over the holidays.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I finished the game Wednesday when they had just dropped a new patch. I’d say if you want to play it on a base PS4 to wait on it. I feel like it could have used at least 3 more months in development. Like what Brad said in the podcast/quick look. Most of the jank isn’t bad but it all adds up to become really annoying.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I think it's pretty funny how the quality mode ends up being the best performing option in cases where games just don't run very well on these consoles. Not the performance mode. I think the naming confused Brad and he played the performance mode which made it only worse for him.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@onemanarmyy: I mean, to be clear, the naming isn't the problem. It's that the Performance mode doesn't hold up its end of the bargain.