KOTOR remake indefinitely delayed.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Well that's a shame. I hadn't heard of any of this recently but then I also haven't been hearing much about the project itself recently, so I guess that might be why. Sounds like this one might never come out?

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

“At the outset of development, Aspyr told staff and partners it would release the game by the end of 2022, according to two people familiar with production. Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025”

Five years on a remake seems like a lot?

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Five years is for the research trip to Tatooine. They want to get some authentic sound effects.

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Bloody hell these Star Wars videogames are just cursed, huh? I know people hate Quantic Dream but I was bummed when I heard their game was also in dev hell. I was looking forward to this more than that one too. Hopefully the Massive (Division devs) Star Wars game avoids disaster.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They should scale back their ambitions and make a Special Edition of the original instead. Just upscale it to 4K and have some random creatures walk in front of the screen once in a while.

JohnLocke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@judaspete: This made me laugh more than I would have expected it to haha.

SCOOTMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It’s gonna be the end of Marvel Phase 6 by the time this is ready.

Panfoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a mess the Star Wars license has been in games for the past....like 15 or 16 years. One would think now that the license is free from being exclusive to EA, we would get a lot more games but everything seems to be bigger budget ones that just get stuck in development hell. Kind of ironic that the only one that really made it across the finish line and was actually pretty good was Fallen Order, an EA published game.

I think 2025 doesn't sound too crazy an expectation given that Aspyr has never made their own game from the ground up, and that is a complete remake, no way the combat ends up being like the original.

Yasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God, star wars is just the most toxic subculture in EVERY WAY now. The fans are awful. The owners are awful. The products are always these big sweaty productions dripping with fat instead of allowing smaller games like dumb pod racing affairs.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yasha: Lemme guess - you're more of a Star Trek person?

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Bummer, but I would want a new story with the RPG style in the Star Wars universe more than I want a remake of a story I've played before

RagTagBag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie: They're calling it a remake, but they were basically starting from scratch and using the original as a rough outline. They were changing everything about the game.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been playing the original and it looks and plays really rough by modern standards. Aside of the story I don't think there is anything there that they can use. And I don't know if the original is beloved enough to warrant a full remake, and even if it does I don't think Aspyr has the chops to do it. This project seems like it was a bad idea from the beginning. The Final Fantasy VII remake had a similarly difficult development but at least Square had the experience and resources to get it done.

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know the MMO has its good points, but it really is a shame we never got proper KOTOR 3 and instead got a remake. And now maybe not even that.

@hayt said:

Bloody hell these Star Wars videogames are just cursed, huh? I know people hate Quantic Dream but I was bummed when I heard their game was also in dev hell. I was looking forward to this more than that one too. Hopefully the Massive (Division devs) Star Wars game avoids disaster.

I mean...they earn every bit of it. I wasn't exactly champing at the bit for Phantom Menace dialog and Clone Wars Movie line delivery of ANY story.

Yasha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: modern star trek doesn't look that great either tbh.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I went through the first one and while it was obvious at times that not everything the team wanted to implement made it (characters talking about upgrading your speedy vehicle for the minigame, turns out that's not possible), the 2nd game is so janky that you're constantly wondering whether you can trust the game's information or if something just wasn't implemented. I also remember having to deal with an invisible wall blocking me from an open room. There's quite a bit lost content that got gathered by community members and added, which means that sometimes you can trigger a handful of cutscenes after eachother, which was a bit disorientating.

I eventually had to give up on that game when a certain fight straight up wasn't beatable even if i did all sorts of pull-back maneuvers to heal people as efficient as possible with my medpacks. That's definitly an aspect that Mass Effect improved hugely upon. These games are not super difficult, but there are certain big fights where the nature of the combat just means you have to be able to take a bunch of damage without dying. Especially in the first half of the game, that can cause some issues, especially when you're the kind of person that wants to give most characters a fair shot instead of ignoring most of em. These games are sort of cool though, and it's surprising how similar they are to Mass Effect.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I mean, I guess I could go back to the original in the meantime, but I kinda don't like D&D dice rolls in my RPGs these days.