StarCraft: Remastered - Trailer/Release/Price/Gameplay

Avatar image for gelatinousgelboy
Gelatinousgelboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

SC:R is set to release in US August 14, 2017, and is priced at $15 with pre-purchase bonus cosmetic town hall skins. Release comes early for Korean PC cafes on July 30th, 2017, and there seems to be a deluxe physical edition. SC:R features multiple levels of updated visuals (original, remastered, and environmental effects/real-time lighting) with widescreen/4K support, remastered audio, enhanced narrative (graphic novel interludes for those blocks of green exposition text), cloud saves, matchmaking & leaderboards, and support for 13 languages. With the pre-order skins and a mention of a 2 week "experience boost" at PC cafes, it seems like a level-based system for unlocking cosmetics may already be in the game, but no details are currently available.

Here's some gameplay Broll for those who want to see it in action, and Ars Technica has an article about the (re)creation of the game!

For my part, this is really exciting! The price feels really reasonable (was expecting something more like $30) and I'm digging the new visuals (other than the zergling death anim...). Definitely picking this up!

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They probably could have gotten away with charging for more, so 15 bucks is really rad. Was hoping this would come a little bit sooner but guess I can wait for a month and a half :) Super stoked for this.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That trailer was kinda weird and oh wait, I thought it was going to be in StarCraft II's engine. huh...15 bucks makes more sense now.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#4  Edited By liquiddragon

Screw me for buying the digital copy of SC/BW for $20 last year.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an obnoxious trailer. It didn't show shit.

It's mostly in Korean too. Guess they know their audience.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#6  Edited By Kidavenger

Screw me for buying the digital copy of SC/BW for $20 last year.

Says on the product page that you need the original games on your account.

Seems this is really just a skin/audio enhancement to the existing game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By liquiddragon
benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

@werupenstein: They released the original StarCraft and Brood War for free shortly after the announcement of the remaster.

Anyway, I pre-purchased the remaster. I was never a big multiplayer guy for StarCraft, but the campaign is fantastic and I can't wait to play it again in 4K.

MrPlatitude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrPlatitude

@benderunit22 said:

I was never a big multiplayer guy for StarCraft, but the campaign is fantastic and I can't wait to play it again in 4K.

It sounds like they changed the mission briefings a bit, very curious to see what they end up looking like.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Brood War is free right now if you guys didn't know; this should help rejuvenate the playerbase even more; but UMS is pretty active again; there's a solid 500+ maps that are all considerably better than your average indie game; some have more depth than DoTA. Been having a blast just playing it like once a week to trigger the nostalgia vibes/actually play a game creatively with few limitations and succeeding because of unscripted pure skill instead of following some lameass blueprint (i.e. every modern multiplayer game aside from Assassin's Creed). What a game.

Korea's tournament scene also back in full force:

Loading Video...

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does the multiplayer of this overtake Starcraft 2's scene?

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarnecki: Most likely. Brood War helped start it all and is still a huge name in Korea. With a new release of the game and interest in SC2 dropping, focus will almost certainly shift.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarnecki: Already has except in Europe, I suspect SC2 will still be more popular in Europe (@hassun might find that interesting); and the US will be interested for its customary 1 month period and then go do whatever. Brood War is back to being a titan in Korea already getting 200k+ viewers for Afreeca streams and so on and packing out 5000+ person theaters.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm super happy that Brood War is having its resurgance.

The ASL is the best thing on the internet right now. Long live FlaSh

Avatar image for gelatinousgelboy
Gelatinousgelboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mrplatitude: There's mention that they're focusing on those blocks of green exposition text (For example this epilogue: https://m.imgur.com/TP4PTbN?r) for the comic-booky styling, rather than the briefings. I definitely think there's a charm to the original briefings, so I'm glad they're focusing on the least effective storytelling in the game.

@fredchuckdave: Thank you, you are so right and errbody should get on that free BW and check out the KR pro scene! I think it can be easy to fall into a rut when you're looking forward to the new shiny version of a thing and not engage with the awesome game you've got sitting in your lap (been replaying the campaign and good gravy I forgot how dark it gets).

aiomon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezza: It certainly won't outside of Korea... SC2 is infinitely easier to play than Broodwar, and it's still hard enough to deter lots of players.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

Just created some releases for this game page, I assume it won't get its own wikipage.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Protip: if you're hosting maps, put RPG in the title regardless of whether its an RPG or not.