Steins;Gate Elite Delayed

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I only just found out about this, and so close to its release. Now I find out it has just been delayed from March 2018 to "general 2018".

Steins Gate is very special to me and from everything I've seen I don't think this is the best way to experience the story, but I am all for new ways for people to get in to it. Static images and reading put some people off so hopefully a fully animated game will draw new people in. I'll get it anyway because it'll be different.

What are the chances of this getting a western release?

jd_delgado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Danganronpa 3 was released on disc in the west last year, so I'd be pretty confident about a release, although maybe not this year unfortunately.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jd_delgado: Haven't all those games been released in English? Not everything Steins Gate has been. It doesn't seem like there will be as much localisation needed as the first time but it might be more of a market issue than how much work it is.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

This release always felt like a cheap cash grab to me. If people were put off by reading the original visual novel then just watch the anime, which was a very good adaptation in my book. This "Elite" release just reuses animation from the TV show anyway and, from what I've read, the Elite version even cuts out a lot of the VN's script to more closely match the anime. So, in my opinion, this release is totally pointless and only exists to make a quick buck off the Stiens;Gate fanbase.

But yeah, Spike Chunsolf's new US division has said they are going to be in charge of localizing all of Mages' future Western releases. Maybe they's announce something at GDC where they are planning to talk about their division's future plans. But honestly I would rather see some of the other Science Adventure games get localized, like Robotic;Notes.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lentfilms: I can see what you're saying, but there is more depth to the script in the game than the anime. I like the anime, but they cut out so much of the mundane stuff that endears you to the characters. At least in my experience. I can't confirm this but according to what I read the game has original and elite mode, with original extending the script to fit the original VN though it doesn't match the animation.

More ways to experience it are a good thing. Though I wish part of this was just the original Steins Gate in there for those that want it.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: I didn't know the original game was also included, which is cool and fine. But I still don't know why anyone would want to play the Elite version of the game. The reused animation just looks weird in the context of a visual novel where as the original game is one of the better looking VNs out there in terms of artwork. To each his own but I personally would never recommend playing this version of Steins;Gate over the original if they were both available in English.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lentfilms: I didn't mean the original game is in there, but the original script is present. As a visual novel I agree it looks weird but the way they talk about it sounds like they want to create a new kind of experience and think it provides that. I would say that having to progress through the text yourself already sets it apart from the anime. For me that was such a compelling reason to play the visual novel, because in the anime Okabe's pain just happens on screen but you have to push through it in the game.

I'm not surprised by the artwork though. They already ditched it for Zero, which I think looked really bad. I'm giving it the benefit of doubt but I agree with you that it's not the best way to experience it. But i also don't want to be one of those fans shouting at Jeff and Ben saying "you can't watch Kai, you must watch the original in Japanese".

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Zeik

I played the game after watching the anime and honestly I didn't feel like it added that much of importance. I was hoping that being able to hear Okabe's inner thoughts would give more insight into what he was actually thinking when he was projecting his mad scientist persona, but I never learned anything that wasn't already inferred. Plus I kinda feel like the anime just flowed better, particularly in terms of the true ending.

That being said, I don't really think I'm actually interested in this. It just feels like an awkward middle ground that doesn't really gain anything over either iterations. Now, if they actually dubbed it with the anime actors I might change my mind, but I know that won't happen.

I really just want that Steins;Gate 0 anime to come out already.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils

@alistercat: I'm not trying to be "one of those fans" that insists people need to experience Steins;Gate a specific way, I think you can watch the anime or play the VN and get a good experience. But Steins;Gate Elite just looks bad. If 5pb was creating all new animation that was made to look good in a visual novel presentation then I could respect this release. But the reused anime footage just looks out of place and is really lazy. Honestly I don't see how this release makes the game more accessible than it already is. But it doesn't really matter, you do you.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I felt like having Okabe's thoughts really helped flesh him out as a character, but I preferred the introspection to inferring elements of his character. I also feel like the shift in tone from the early game to when shit gets real is so much more dramatic in the game. They downplay his persona in the anime. At least that's how it felt to me. I guess coming to either with preconceived notions from the other gives different feelings. I enjoy the slow pacing from the VN, though I am also a David Lynch fan.

Considering how much I didn't like Zero I am hoping the anime will win me over on it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lentfilms: I suspect I will feel the same as you once I see what it really is but I'm trying to keep an open mind. I am currently trying to persuade friends to try it for the first time but platforms are the biggest issue rather than accessibility. They should just be like a million other studios and do a cheap port to Switch. :p

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alistercat: My issue was that I didn't feel like there was that much added introspection. Most of the time when he actually had an inner monologue after going all "Hououin Kyouma" he inexplicably maintained that facade in his head as well, so I didn't learn anything new. Later on when that facade starts to break and his actual thoughts matter more that's when the anime starts to add that in as well. Although I do think sometimes less is more. I don't always need to be told exactly how broken Okabe is when the animation does such a good job letting me see and feel it.

*shrug* I still think the VN is one of the best out there and I totally understand why people love it, but whenever I feel like rexperiencing some Steins;Gate it's always the anime I go back to.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pyrodactyl

Just watch the anime. The dub is very good and more digestible for such a dialogue heavy show. It's on Netflix (I think?)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Pretty sure the dubbed version is Funimation only. You can find the subbed version a few other places though, like Hulu and I think Netflix.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: I definitely watched the dub on Netflix but maybe that's a weird instance of Canadian Netflix getting more for once.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Last time I checked they only had like 4 episodes of the dub and the rest was sub only, but it is possible that has changed.

kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'm torn on whether I wanna get this or not. On one hand it sounds like I'd definitely prefer just replaying the original VN, but on the other hand I want more stuff like this to actually get localized in the US so it would be nice to support it.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nicksmi56

Eh, I'm fine. Already played through this on PS3 so did my part to support the developers, and I prefer this much more as an interactive book than as an anime. Mayuri's voice irritates me so much in both languages that I couldn't make it through more than 2 episodes. I'd rather just turn all the voices off and read it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I already own the original VN and I already own the anime on Blu-Ray, so... I don't think I'm the target audience for this.

That said, if they ever decide to localize Chaos;Head or Robotics;Notes, I'd be more than happy to give them a look. Especially since I'd like to know if the ending of the Robotics;Notes VN is as underwhelming as the anime adaption.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By TheChris

@alistercat: In that case, just play the original visual novel it’s even on sale on Steam now.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thechris: I've already played it multiple times on Vita and bought it on steam yesterday, but thanks.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@alistercat: I get that, just a general advice for anyone reading this thread.

Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bowl-of-Lentils