A Fighter Like This With A "Beat-em-up" Component

AquaGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

I am not so interested in fighting games, but I do have some love towards beat-em-up and hack'n'slash type games. Seeing as how something like Street Fighter V has such nice animation and depth to the fighting, is it possible they could somehow make a third-person component where it's about beating up AI? I'm thinking some AI combatants would be relatively weak (but could be difficult in numbers), while some combatants would be so strong it would be best to fight them one-on-one.

It seems like there is so much potential for a game or mode like this. Somehow bringing the fighting game mechanics and depth to a beat-em-up style game to me could make for one of the best beat-em-ups ever.

I know that to some degree this is already done in games like Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry, but they are a bit removed from typical fighting game mechanics.

Would do all of you think? Am I just crazy?

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Yeah the ninja gaiden reboot on original xbox is the only one i can think of. Tekken used to have a sidescroll mode but it was never all that good. Mk mythology subzero also komes to mind.

grandCurator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are some games that do this. Guilty Gear Isuka, bad as it is, does it. Dungeon Fighter Online also does it to a degree, but that has more MMO trappings. Most of them don't turn out great, but it's definitely a thing that rarely happens.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Tekken 3 or Tekken 6 (which is actually pretty good).

Dragon's Crown/Odin's Sphere scratch the same itch more or less.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Tekken 3 or Tekken 6 (which is actually pretty good).

Dragon's Crown/Odin's Sphere scratch the same itch more or less.

Actually Vanillaware is made up by original developers of SF2 and Final Fight

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By keris
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I just want co-op. Dramatic Battles in Alpha 3 was the shit.

Kurohige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ever heard of the Yakuza series? Something like that or tekken Force would be sweet.

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By MeMonk

The game you are looking for is Abyss Odyssey.

AquaGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 8

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I played a demo of Yakuza 4 and remembering the combat to be quite stiff and clunky - not what I had in mind. I don't remember Yakuza 5, maybe it's better.

I'll have to have a look at how Tekken's take on this plays.

@theht Imagine how much fun it would be to take the fighters from Street Fighter and team up with a friend to punch the thugs from Arkham City (for example) back and forwards, juggling them. Theoretically a single punch could launch one of the thugs back and knock over his friends.

I search Abyss Odyssey and was super suprised to see it was made by the ACE Team. I'll have to look at this and the other games mentioned.

I was thinking more of a third-person action game with the combat from a fighting game. Imagine something like the Batman Arkham series of games but with fighting-game-style combat. With the perspective change, maybe it will be harder to judge exactly what the enemies are doing since you don't have the nice 2D side view? I'm not sure if it'll be a problem or not.

konig_kei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deep fighting game mechanics in a beat em up game you say? Well have I got the game for you!

Streets of Fury!

Loading Video...

MeMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You should also check out Oni, it is a 3rd person hand to hand combat brawler. Just be sure to get the pc version over the PS2.