Short tutorials designed to help new players step up their game

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By jmcrofts

Hi guys, I've been making a bunch of tutorial videos the last few days with the intent of helping newer players or people who are trying to start playing fighting games seriously with SF5. Links are below, and I'll be adding many more videos in the days to come.

Simple tip for improving your play:

Part 2:

How to beat R. Mika players online:

How to beat Nash players online:

Simple but effective option select that even beginners can pull off:

Thanks guys, let me know if you find these helpful, and what kind of stuff you'd like to see in my videos in the future.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did a couple new videos today:

Use training mode to hone your reactions and up your game:

Loading Video...

How to deal with common Rashid tactics:

Loading Video...

Hope you guys find these helpful :D

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I ran into your reaction training video earlier today through a retweet and then came to this post and realized it's you, nice video duder! Will have to check out some of these other videos as well!

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Technician

Just watched all of the videos, really good stuff. I really like the matchup videos.

In terms of ideas for new videos one thing that I'm awful at right now is teching throws, some advice on how to tech throws or situations where certain characters are likely to throw would be helpful.

Also very specific but an anti-Ryu video would be cool too (it seems like you play Ryu based on the videos but maybe that's just for example purposes). I'm trying to play as Karin and Ryus just shut me down online. For some reason Ken players don't give me that much trouble but they tend to be aggressive whereas I don't mind patiently blocking, so I can punish them a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6
deactivated-5daa2dc0c43a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm a beginner and these were all really helpful tips! Looking forward to more.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the kind words guys, I have 2 more tutorials coming later today!

Just watched all of the videos, really good stuff. I really like the matchup videos.

In terms of ideas for new videos one thing that I'm awful at right now is teching throws, some advice on how to tech throws or situations where certain characters are likely to throw would be helpful.

Also very specific but an anti-Ryu video would be cool too (it seems like you play Ryu based on the videos but maybe that's just for example purposes). I'm trying to play as Karin and Ryus just shut me down online. For some reason Ken players don't give me that much trouble but they tend to be aggressive whereas I don't mind patiently blocking, so I can punish them a lot.

One of my next general-purpose tutorials is going to touch on throws, plus more tips on how to get the most out of training mode.

As for the "how to beat x character" videos, the plan is to hopefully cover the entire cast eventually. Next up is Dhalsim and probably M. Bison soon after - I tend to make these for whichever character is giving me the most trouble at the time ;)

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I saw your reactions training video on Eventhubs, good stuff man.

Volt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got linked to your reactions video on twitter, really great idea.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jmcrofts

Did a new tutorial on how to use the guard recovery action feature, and how to use it to beat people mashing jab.

Loading Video...

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ivdamke

@jmcrofts: Great stuff, anything that's as clear and concise to get new players in should be encouraged.

One suggestion I would make is if you're trying to get new players in with this, constantly referring to frame punishing might go over someones head especially if they go look up frame data. Maybe you could do a breakdown video of how frame data works (on guard, hit, recovery etc). I know there's a lot of info out there but nothing as cleanly presented and narrated as you've done here. Just a thought.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmcrofts: Great stuff, anything that's as clear and concise to get new players in should be encouraged.

One suggestion I would make is if you're trying to get new players in with this, constantly referring to frame punishing might go over someones head especially if they go look up frame data. Maybe you could do a breakdown video of how frame data works (on guard, hit, recovery etc). I know there's a lot of info out there but nothing as cleanly presented and narrated as you've done here. Just a thought.

I'd like to do a frame data video at some point, but I'm a little worried that it might just be too intimidating for new players. I'll think about ways I can get the basic idea across without making it too complicated.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

These are really great, thanks for making them. I didn't think of throwing in a "just waiting around" cycle into the training mode dummy - makes training mode much more interesting.

yates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By yates

Nice videos man, some really useful stuff here.

I'm really lazy when it comes to frame data, I just look at which of my character's moves are unsafe and then steal everyone else's frame trap setups. I should probably get my head in the books and start using it properly for match up stuff.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jmcrofts

Did one on how to practice optimally punishing wakeup DP

Loading Video...

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New tutorial, How to Deal With Crossups (and how to cross-cut DP)

Loading Video...

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any advice on getting better at blocking overheads? I've been setting up training mode with characters like ryu and chun and just recording random attacks in each of the 5 slot and occasionally doing the overhead and I am just the worst at it! Chun's I can react to it most of the time (26f) ryu's I am just embarrassingly bad and haven't been able to block a single one (20f). Is this something I can even or should even be bothering to practice for? Or is it more having to do with reading your opponent and looking for when they like to bust out the overhead and getting ahead of it?

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 frames is riiiight at the edge of what is reactable, even by good players. Blocking overheads that fast is 99% prediction.

I wouldn't stress too much about it - there's no Dudleys in this game who can get a 30% combo off of overhead (yet!), so they're not very threatening. If you're taking a lot of damage from overheads it probably means you're spending a lot of the match knocked down, and you should focus on doing better in the ground game to avoid being put in that situation.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmcrofts said:

20 frames is riiiight at the edge of what is reactable, even by good players. Blocking overheads that fast is 99% prediction.

I wouldn't stress too much about it - there's no Dudleys in this game who can get a 30% combo off of overhead (yet!), so they're not very threatening. If you're taking a lot of damage from overheads it probably means you're spending a lot of the match knocked down, and you should focus on doing better in the ground game to avoid being put in that situation.

Good to know, thanks for the insight!

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Did a tutorial specifically about how to fight Karin:

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These continue to be great - congrats on getting to 1000 subs too.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I'll have a look at these later.

Glad to see something about how to use training mode, I think learning how to use the tools in the training mode to replicate situations you find yourself struggling with is the most effective way of learning the game. Too many people tend to see it strictly as a tool for teaching offense and combos and not a great way of training defense.

selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove said:

Thoroughly enjoying these. Stupid question, in SFV is a counter any move that connects within 6 frames or less?

Not sure about the frame count, but a counter is any move that;

a) interrupts the opponent's current action within its start-up frames (eg, if you get a medium punch in while they're going through the start up frames of a special, it'll count as a counter).

As far as I know, this is the only requirement to be a counter, and it doesnt really matter how long the start-up of your move is. That said, it's obviously easier to do w/ light attacks or normals with long range.

b) For a number of moves, generally ones which leave the user up in the air (looking at you Shoryuken), hitting them while in recovery (ie, while they land) is another way to get a counter. Note that many of these moves have invincibility frames during start up (eg. Ken's Medium Shoryu) so it isn't possible to counter them normally - one of the reasons they made this a thing, I guess.

"Crush Counters" are just counters done with some specific attacks by your character (ie heavy normals, and I think there are some command normals which have the crush property too? May have been a beta rumour)

Note, not all crush counters are created equal - some just knock down, others leave the enemy in long hitstun, others toss em up in the air to be juggled.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jmcrofts
Loading Video...

Starting a new series about the fundamentals of footsies. Here's episode 1.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Part 2 of my footsies guide is up, this one is about how to apply "the shimmy".

MisterMollusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MisterMollusk
Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmcrofts: Find myself checking back in on this thread every once in a while, hoping you've uploaded some more videos. It's really great stuff, and works wonders to get me fired up to go play some more. Any chance you might be able to tell me if you mean to continue the series?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I found these through shoryuken just the other night! These videos are really excellent. Great work duder!

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jmcrofts

Oops, I have uploaded a bunch of videos but forgot to post them in here.

Just to make things easier, here's links to my full playlists:

How to fight [character]

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2N8qJGW36fz1j876ORYFQJ7eaKZdIHtL

General SF5 tutorials

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2N8qJGW36fwXacvDGAZwrg9pr1LM3wn-

A new series I started where I analyze replays and go through the different things we can learn by watching

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2N8qJGW36fwaIfeD8cg4WxROg7ngUsMI

I've also set an upload schedule, currently the plan is a new video every day of the week except Sunday. You may wanna subscribe so you don't miss anything.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've touched fighting games in the past, but this is the first time I've started trying to actually get into one. I pretty much know nothing. With Street Fighter V, it seems like the perfect time for me to learn, and I just bought a fight stick to go along with that. Your videos have been a big help so far. Still not sure which character I want to start with, but Laura seems cool and not too hard for me to understand. I know Ryu is like the quintessential place to start, but I'd rather play someone else like Laura possibly. Hopefully that's not a mistake.

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, dude. Dedication.

I hope more GB scrubs (like me!) take a look at this.

SensibleParty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SensibleParty

@jmcrofts:

Thanks for your hard work! I can usually find exactly what I'm looking for in your playlist. For instance today I found myself returning to your Vega and Dhalsim videos after getting destroyed by air dives and fireball teleports... Hopefully the lesson will stick this time!

Question. Will you be covering character adjustments (nerfs/buffs etc) when they roll out the March update, or do you plan to stick to more beginner friendly stuff?

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sensibleparty: I'm pretty sure the march update isn't going to contain character balance, other than bugfixes. Capcom has stated they wanna leave the game pretty much alone until Capcom Pro Tour is over.

If they do make changes I'll probably touch on them, but that kind of stuff is fairly easy to find in other places so I probably won't dedicate too much time to it. I'm trying to do stuff that you can't really find anywhere else.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By John1912

This are all great tips, even for mid tier players! Great videos! Been playing since the original SF2, and all this stuff was pretty useful!

Avatar image for andthentrumpets
andthentrumpets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The videos on what particular moves are punishable from each character were extremely helpful! I know I can go read the frame data, but just having a visual is very helpful, especially when there are spacings and other things like that to consider.

jmcrofts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jmcrofts

Bringing this thread back from the dead because today I brought my youtube channel back from the dead.

Loading Video...

Really looking forward to Evo!

McGamer2017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jmcrofts: I love the character specific guides. Was gonna make some myself, but now saves me the trouble!