Games like Subnautica?

tennesseemcvay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By tennesseemcvay

I just finished subnautica and absolutely loved it. After going back for a bit and adding a bunch more to my base, I'm out of things of interest to do in the game. I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for games of a similar ilk that will continue to scratch this itch I now have. I have already played stardew valley and loved that as well if that helps.

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@diz: Beat me to it!

tennesseemcvay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: @diz: I bought that when it first went in to early access and there wasn't much to do. Is there more going on now? I love Samantha Kalman tho

quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By quirkwood

Last time I played Astroneer there was a lot of building but not much story. I believe the game still hasn't hit beta yet. I believe The Forest has a bit of a story you can follow, but I found that game scary as hell. Damned cannibals.

dourin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dourin

Haven’t played it for a while, and it was a bit simple when I did, but I found Stranded Deep to be pretty fun. It’s basically Castaway: The Video Game. Definitely more harsh and focuses way more on the survival stuff.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By handlas

The Long Dark? Looked too punishing to me.

Pete0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Space Engineers would do it? I haven't touched it in years, but it certainly has ship/base building and possibly survival elements. Medieval Engineers is made by the same people and seems like the same gameplay but with a different theme.

They both support multiplayer if that is a thing you're looking for.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I've never played it and I don't know if it's any good now, but does No Man's Sky fit what you are after?

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By fatalbanana

@captain_insano: Exactly what I was going to recommend.

I was a defender of No Man's Sky even before the big updates but I completely get why so many were turned off by it. The abundance of updates, however, had made a game I was hesitant on recommending into one I genuinely think is a really great "one of those". There's added mystery to the story that I draw direct parallels to what Subnautica does, however, it's more direct and spelled out for you with voice acting from a myriad of different characters. Exploration is more spread out and seeing the cool shit takes a bit more time and effort to get to but I don't really see that as a bad thing. NMS just asks more time of you in general but I found the wait well worth it. Building bases, scavenging for materials, managing your inventory are all things I found more enjoyable in Subnautica but the things I was awarded felt a lot more satisfying and earned in NMS.Plus I just really love the way that game looks and sounds.

If you find some of the survival aspects a little too harsh there are a lot of great mods that will streamline things for you assuming you're on PC. There are few games I would draw such close parallels to than these two game so if you haven't played NMS or haven't gone back to it since release I recommend checking it out.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By handlas

Also Don't Stave and Flame and the Flood are those type of games, right? Always loved the art style in them but not much for survival games.

Nick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

i'm curious about The Long Dark; i played the early access version a couple years ago and enjoyed it. i wonder how it has come along.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Honestly No Mans Sky is almost the exact same game when it comes to base building and such, just not as good? but its pretty good now give it a go.

Avatar image for razor_sharp1997
Razor_Sharp1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nick: It's really good, atmospheric, challenging and thought provoking. You can get many hours out of it as well!