Super Mario 64 isn't what people make it out to be

• 52 results
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

The more speedruns I watch of Mario 64 vanilla, Kaizo and randomizer, the more I wanna get that derpy-ass Switch collection just to have legit copies.

Mario 64's greatness will live mainly with speedruns and ROM hacks.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Ben_H

My take on Mario 64 is that it's clearly and incredibly important game but that most people who remember it entirely fondly only boot it up and play the first 3-4 worlds when they go to revisit it. The back half of the game, in my view at least, falls off pretty hard and becomes quite frustrating and much less fun. Everything from the basement onward becomes tedious, especially some of the stars that require a great deal of precision to get but you don't have the controls to get them.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Shindig

I've finished it now. First 30-40 seem relatively carefree and easy but getting to 70 felt like a grind. Mario's control felt absolutely great but the camera hands you some perspectives that just aren't great for lining up jumps. Given how fine they managed one analogue stick, it would've probably felt timeless had they stuck another stick on that controller.

The stars mostly feel like they're done in a couple of minutes and there's a real economy going on with the level design. Nothing's wasted, one star often leads into another and the progression means you can pick and choose what you want to tackle. It has a great momentum, until it doesn't. Save states can save you a lot of headaches if you go that route.

I never got swinging bowser to feel consistent which made his boss battles an exercise in luck. There's got to be a knack to it but I never found it. Would I replay it? Maybe. The one thing it has in it's favour over Sunshine is how progression is all about a raw number of stars. I'm not ticking off stages to get to Bowser's idiot son. And the Bowser stages had two more stars to chase which I'm kinda into.

EDIT: Oh, the draw distance is shite. I know that's partly the N64's limitations but that doesn't make it any better to experience in 2020.

TashaGross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By TashaGross

As long as you're not implying that Super Mario Sunshine is better 64. Super Mario Sunshine is a game that helps young people develop good thinking. You can use the mod apk version on TechSuspect to play.