This thing has some pretty disappointing changes

YummyTreeSap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By YummyTreeSap

Overall I'm liking this, but it's worth pointing out that is "extremely Nintendo", that is, they've decided to discreetly fuck with things for no particularly good reason. We've known about some of the bigger changes for a while, like getting rid of the Amiibo costumes, but there's a lot of other stuff.

So far I have noticed or read:

• You can no longer grab an item while doing spin jumps. One of Dan's levels for Patrick, if you remember, hinged upon this mechanic and it's been a staple of SMW level hacks for as long as there have been SMW level hacks. An actual mechanic of Super Mario World, gone. Why?
    • Well, they seem to be taking something of an "anti-Kaizo" stance for this game. I've never been good enough at SMW to be any good at the advanced techniques, but they have been reported to be harder or removed. That's mostly shit I'd skip anyway, but it does seem like a bummer to take out that part of the game for the people who liked it, and I'm personally not super cool with the concept of wildly changing SMW physics.
  • Downloaded levels cannot be viewed in the editor. You like bad levels with hidden blocks containing dev shortcuts? You're in luck, because now people can't find them. Want to practice a section? Too bad.
  • If you're a big level creator, keep in mind that there is a hard cap of 32 levels now. If you want to make more than that you will have to pay for more Nintendo Online and use alts. Hopefully this changes as time goes on.
  • Okay, it's not a change or surprising given how Nintendo is with online, but you still can't search for levels by name because why make things easy or good.

None of that really makes the game not worth it, but it definitely bums me out a bit.

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I haven't played it yet.

Spin grab - try to throw it up in the air, and catch it by spinning. Does it work? It's a bit weird that Nintendo change mechanics between SMM 1 and SMM 2. But limiting old mechanics from Mario World isn't that strange. They did that with SMM too, like spin jumping on saws and fireball. Which was possible in the original Snes game.
Viewing downloaded levels - a shame that's removed. I almost never used it but it's a good feature.
32 level cap - that may be changed. I'm fine with 100 levels per person, 32 feels like a generous start (you only had 10 in SMM to start with). Maybe this will remove some of the Star begging? I disliked that in SMM, people all over internet begged for stars.

MagnetPhonics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

My early opinion is that the game as a whole is at least as good as Mario Maker 1. But for every step forward they take, there is an equal and opposite step backwards.

It also seems as if different teams made different parts of the game and barely spoke to each other.

Example: There is a tutorial that warns against creating levels that reach a state where Mario is alive but cannot finish the level. But there are several levels in story mode by Nintendo that do this as intended design.

Also a lot of the new tiles and level themes are extremely clumsy. (The interaction between the see-saw and thwomps is perhaps the least intuitive thing I've seen in a platformer.) And the new level themes in Mario 1 mode are extremely noisy and look like they're from a completely different game.