Super Smash Bros Deluxe: Ideal new character choices?

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Octopusrocketmark

It's all but confirmed that Smash for Wii U will get the "Mario Kart 8 Deluxe" treatment. It's not far-fetched to think they'll add a couple new characters to help justify the purchase further. I'm sure there's been plenty of "Smash Bros Dream Roster" threads but it's semi relevant again so fuck it. If Nintendo/Sora could only include two new characters, who would you like to see?

Personally, I come from the perspective of a super-fan of the series and active member of the competitive scene, so I'd like to see Ice Climbers and Wolf from previous games return, just to see how they would shake up the current meta.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Have they added the Splatoon kids yet?

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

old characters from the other games, splatoon kid, and maybe shovel knight.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I hope they make a tiny change that doesn't matter but drives the competitive scene insane.

The competitive scene would probably just stick with Wii U then, as evidenced by how popular Melee still is over 15 years later

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@kingbonesaw said:

I hope they make a tiny change that doesn't matter but drives the competitive scene insane.

The competitive scene would probably just stick with Wii U then, as evidenced by how popular Melee still is over 15 years later

Pretty much this, even thought I doubt that it will happen. Many people don't know there are actually 2 different versions of Melee, 1.00 and 1.02. Melee scene uses 1.00.

As for new characters, I want some more Dankey characters.

Hylian100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Hylian100

Incineroar certainly fits the human-like Pokemon fighter role, much like Lucario.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ripelivejam

i would totally buy this game for essentially the 3rd time. part of the problem!

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MocBucket62

Here's what comes to mind for new characters:

• Decidueye: The final evolution of Rowlet from Pokemon Sun and Moon. Since we already have a final fire starter (Charizard) and a final water starter (Greninja), it makes sense to include a final grass starter.
  • Inklings: A very obvious choice considering how big Splatoon has gotten for Nintendo.
  • Spring Man: From ARMS, which can help promote a new IP for Nintendo.
  • FMV person from 1 2 Switch: Not a real suggestion, but how stupidly amazing would that be!?
  • 1 More Non-Nintendo Character:
  • 3rd party AAA options:
    • Bomberman and/or Simon Belmont from Konami (could bring back Snake instead)
    • Rayman from Ubisoft (his trophy is in the vanilla version)
    • Maybe a Tekken character (Heihachi, Kazuya) to give Namco the Mega Man/Ryu treatment Capcom got. There's probably a few other options too.
  • Potential Indie Reps:
    • Shovel Knight
    • Shantae
    • Commander Video from Bit.Trip (like Rayman, he already has a trophy).
Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this was a joke answer but it should be noted that the way Smash 4 has been patched has made it more conducive for competitive play. And Nintendo now sponsors our large tournaments. It's been super nice to have a little bit of support from Nintendo even though we're playing their kid's party game in an unintended way.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

For new, Splatoon seems like the most obvious choice for inclusion. Then maybe a character from ARMS now that that's a thing. It has some nice character designs, even if I'm not so sure about the game itself yet.

For returning, I've been playing some Project M with a friend which has made me more receptive to the idea of bringing Wolf back, along with Ivysaur and Squirtle as full characters, and if there's no 3Ds version this time then maybe Ice Climbers could make a return also, though if 8 player Brawls are still a thing, then maybe not. (also I just like the idea of Ice Climbers being in it, I don't really play them).

Being in the process of finally working my way through Xenoblade Chronicles and liking it, and with Shulk being in Smash 4 already, I'm all for more characters from that game making it in, but that's just fantasies, seeing as any character from Xenoblade X or the upcoming Xenoblade 2 would be a way more logical choice at this point. I didn't really like anyone in XCX, so I'm not holding my breath for that though.

If I actually just had to pick 2 characters like the OP suggested though, my picks would be Inklings and Ivysaur. Inklings got a lot of potential, and I just have always really liked Ivysaurs design.

Throw a Dark Pit rework in there as well. Make him differenter than plain ol' Pit.

I'm not actually confident that a Smash Deluxe version is going to happen, rather than them just waiting and just making a full new one, either way what I'm most worried about is them going through all the hallobaloo that will get let them keep all the third party characters that are already in there.

Mega Man, Ryu, Cloud, Bayonetta. There was some cool shit in the last one!

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stuart Little

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I want approximately 18 more Fire Emblem characters in order to drive a certain segment of the fanbase crazy.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they make the same characters but with a pallette swap and some different particle effects. Dark Mario, Dark Fox, Dry Bowser, ect. I really like when they add these characters.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By whur

I believe that it's been stated that Ice Climbers were finished but there wasn't enough space on the 3ds version of the game. To keep parody they didn't put them in. I also believe they announced two unannounced characters for the release. I presume one of those two are the Ice Climbers.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mocbucket62: Aw man, a Mortal Kombat-esque FMV character in Smash would be wild.

saethir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want approximately 18 more Fire Emblem characters in order to drive a certain segment of the fanbase crazy.

And they're all Sword users.

Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saethir said:
@arbitrarywater said:

And they're all Sword users.

Better yet, they're all literal Marth clones.