Did I miss a press release? Could be Tag 3 or a remake of pt. 1 for all we know

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

It's not for sure Tekken 8, but...it's very likely Tekken 8. Certainly a new Tekken game of some form.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't wait to see what crazy hijinks the Mishima's get up to. Maybe they just have a family picnic?

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sure it has happened, but a remake of a fighting game sounds odd. It's been seven years since Tekken 7 hit the arcades, so it'd probably be time for a proper sequel.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bigsocrates  Online

@glots: Remakes and remasters have happened numerous times, most commonly with Street Fighter 2 which, if you don't count the upgrades like Championship edition etc... got HD artwork in the 7th generation and a weird new version on the Switch, with probably more in between. Then you have the HD Soul Calibur remasters and Dead or Alive Ultimate and the Darkstalkers remake etc...

That being said, a straight remake of Tekken 1 makes no sense. That game is incredibly clunky by modern standards and has a tiny cast by Tekken standards. Nobody wants a faithful Tekken 1 remake.

I suppose this could be a Tekken reboot (since the Tekken storyline is so insane at this point) or a reimagining of Tekken 1 with new character and moves and modern mechanics, but whatever it is it won't be a remake in any meaningful way.

I could definitely see them releasing a game called "Tekken" with a rebooted storyline though.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Time for tag 3, every ending is now a multi-episode series.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

I'm saying no, this would be a really lame way to tease a brand new entry, the nod to Tekken 1 could mean remake but i don't think it's that either, almost all your favourite Tekken characters are still here, some have been replaced by others with similar or the same movesets it's not like any of them would be making a big nostalgic comback, if they were to remake one of the old games it would be 3.

At the moment i'm calling it a misfire, it's probably a pachinko machine or something.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if they turn the 8 on its side and it's Tekken Infinite?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@shindig said:

That's what I figured. Tekken 7 went all out in most aspects, there's really not much more to add aside from tweaks. I can see it being an ultimate Tekken or something. Just adding stuff over time, just like Mario Kart 8/Infinite.

Though a part of me would like to see a Tekken Alpha, a new approach with gameplay and art that can set it apart from the main games and the tag tournaments.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I fully expect Tekken 8 to be officially unveiled at this year's Game Awards.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

OG Tekken remake crossed my mind but, as others have said, it makes no sense. It wouldn't play like Tekken 1 (no-one wants that), it probably couldn't just have the roster from Tekken 1 (that leaves out a vast number of fan favourites), and at that point you might as well just make something new.

Plus with the more iterative nature of Tekken I think remakes make less sense than for something like DF, where each core entry has a more distinct feel and artstyle to it. Even then, they tend to just be HD re-releases at best.

It feels like it's time for new Tekken. I'm very curious to see where the narrative goes - T7 was very much presented as "a conclusion to the Mishima story arc," so does this new game focus around Kazuya and Jin following the closing events of the last game? Can they actually let Heihachi rest? I doubt that.

Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Only way it would be a Tekken 1 remake is if it was a complete reboot as was previously mentioned. Something along the line of MK 9 that rebooted the series and rolled the stories of several games into 1. That allowed for the expanded roster and scope that a straight remake would not afford.

That said, still hopeful it is Tekken 8 because if they do reboot it'll mean my main Miguel would likely not be included since he didn't arrive until Tekken 6 if I recall correctly.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By DocHaus

Finally, the long-lost Tekken x Street Fighter comes to fruition!

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dochaus: Yeah, they should close that loop.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I look forward to a full day of being able to cheese people online with Katarina before they all utterly destroy me forever and ever.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ArmoredMachine
@shindig said:

now that's an interesting thought... and if they did, would it be the final very last "Tekken" they'd ever make? 🤔

also the timing feels right for another game, although what happens next is anyone's bet.

AdamTalenta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AdamTalenta

Guys, the premiere of Tekken 8 is just around the corner, are you waiting? I'm incredibly excited

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, the premiere of Tekken 8 is just around the corner, are you waiting? I'm incredibly excited

I'm excited they're bringing back character endings. Not having them was the worst part of Tekken 7.

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, this is really somethin' else:

Loading Video...

Brian Cox summarizing the Tekken story was definitely not a thing that was on my bingo card.

Tekken was always my favorite fighting game series. That said, I don't think I can play a Tekken game that doesn't have Heihachi. He's been my main since forever, and even though Reina is seemingly supposed to be a replacement for his moveset, it just ain't the same. Also, I'm just not nearly as into fighters as I was when I was a kid. Still, I'll be interested to see how it looks at release...

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't play fighting games outside of Soul Cailber but Tekken's style is so good it's making me really debating buying a Tekken game for once.

Lab392

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lab392

They got Brian Cox to say all that nonsense.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lab392: That was some good nonesense tho.

With a straight face: "He shoots him point blank, right in the face."

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@atheistpreacher: Tired of hearing the community suggest Reina is Heihachi's replacement, she's not, she just has a few nods to some of his moves but is 99% new, she's more like Zafina mixed with Leo or Lidia who she also shares a few moves with, Kuma also has some Heihachi moves now.

I absolutely was not expecting to hear the crazy Tekken story come out of Brian Cox's mouth and i'm glad they were aware of how dumb it is :P.

Also i hope this means Sharpe is confirmed for Tekken 8, characters with guns and swords are common now.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for atheistpreacher
AtheistPreacher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cikame said:

Tired of hearing the community suggest Reina is Heihachi's replacement, she's not, she just has a few nods to some of his moves but is 99% new, she's more like Zafina mixed with Leo or Lidia who she also shares a few moves with, Kuma also has some Heihachi moves now.

If you say so, can't say I've taken a really close look at her moveset or anything, it was just a common sentiment I was seeing from surface-level coverage. But if she's not meant to be a Heihachi replacement then his removal seems all the more egregious. He's the most iconic character Tekken has, axing him is like Capcom taking Ryu out of Street Fighter. Why would they ditch such a popular character?

I guess I can still hold out hope that this another headfake, not like they haven't told us before that Heihachi was dead. Or they bring him back as a clone or something. Though they seem unusually devoted to the idea of him being gone this time. I guess we'll see.

As an aside, Gen Fu was my favorite DOA character and they actually did remove him from DOA6. That one I can at least understand because he was never an especially popular character. But I wish these games would stop removing fighters I like!