Skyrim Remaster performance good on PS4?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I haven't heard much in the way of performance on both systems, but when thinking of how jacked the PS3 version of Skyrim was is the PS4 version performing much better? I was mainly on the 360 last gen, but this gen I game more on the PS4. I'd like to get it there, but if it performance best on Xbone I'll get it there.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

I haven't heard much in the way of performance on both systems, but when thinking of how jacked the PS3 version of Skyrim was is the PS4 version performing much better? I was mainly on the 360 last gen, but this gen I game more on the PS4. I'd like to get it there, but if it performance best on Xbone I'll get it there.

I played it a little bit before other new games grabbed my attention. It seems fine without any major chugging and seemed to perform better than the XBOX 360 version in larger fights. Keep in mind though that a lot of the old bugs are still present. So for example, there's still the hitch at the beginning of the game after the dragon attack where the voice lines cut out and the game kind of freezes for a second.

Also, if you're trophy hunting, remember that using any mod will disable trophies, which is kind of shitty. While I get disabling them for god mode or extra spells or re-balance mods, simple things like the mod to disable the kill cam (which I find completely obnoxious) also turns off trophies. I would have liked to have seen a little more discretion with that stuff, but it is what it is.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Check out this Digital Foundry analysis for what's changed with the current gen versions. It seems like they are significant improvements over the original console releases. The problems particular to the PS3 haven't carried over to the new hardware.

One thing to keep in mind is the difference in mods between the consoles. They are very limited on the PS4 due to restrictions placed on what kind of mods are allowed. If you were interested in using mods, Xbone would be the way to go.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Yep, I play it on PS4 and it's totally fine. Which is why I'm always surprised when @alex talks about it like it's a mess.

Strangestories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played through the majority of the game in its DLC on PS4. Ran great but there are some weird bugs in it that I don't remember being in the previous gen versions. Nothing game breaking, though.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@jonny_anonymous: Alex is a depressing downer. As I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you about how much of a downer he is.

Dr_Beaverah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I still don't understand why the guys were so hard on it. Runs no worse than before, and it looks better.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's good to know it runs fine on PS4. I got Remastered for Christmas and am pretty excited to play it.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont have it on ps4 but apparently a patch was just released that supposedly helps performance.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I play it on PS4 and it's totally fine. Which is why I'm always surprised when @alex talks about it like it's a mess.

Skyrim seems to be a case of YRMV. I spent 130 hours with it on PS3 when it first came out and it ran perfectly fine when according to vast swathes of the Internet, it was totally unplayable.

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

The load times are waaaaay better. Once the game is running I've never had one last longer than 5 secs.

braves01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing playing on XB1 and even there it seems to run much better than the last gen versions. It's not going to blow your mind, and it's still got some of the weird bugs, but it's not nearly as broken as Alex made it out to be. My understanding is that it runs a bit better on PS4 as well and I haven't heard anything about 0 fps (which I personally suffered on PS3; literally began hard-locking my system whenever I went under water).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

@mrpilkington: Yes, I uninstalled it off the PS4 without getting through the story since I put other games on, but I've played hours (in the 20's, maybe 30's or more) of it and can say that the game runs at a very steady 30fps. Performance on the PS4 (if you're okay with 30fps), is not an issue. When it comes to glitches, I haven't come into many of those either. There are a few times when I saw NPC's float a few feet in the air, and once where a guy chasing another did that, but did it in rapid succession all over the environment. Nothing that ruins the experience, though. Off topic to a degree, but though I warmed up to Skyrim with this remaster, I still much prefer Dragon Age and The Witcher, and now with free time (as in, no other games to play that are new), I have gone back to The Witcher 3 instead. To me, it's so much better than Skyrim, but I like Skyrim fine.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ThePanzini

Been playing the Remaster PS4 over the past few weeks performance was fine some drops here and there, but night and day better than 360. Update 1.05 was released just yesterday in the notes mentions improved stability which I haven't tried yet.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the better running console version by some margin. I've played and loved it for several hours. It's a shame about the modding situation though.

And yes, it's stupid that Alex keeps dumping on this version. In this case he does not know what he is talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@braves01: When was the episode where Alex talked about it?

Zao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

@mrpilkington: Have you gotten it yet? I'm currently playing the game again, and yeah, it feels like a perfect 30fps throughout (just to reiterate). There's no real slowdown, and if/when there is, it's not really noticeable. Bug wise, there aren't many that detract from the experience. Yesterday I ran into one, though. It was a surprise, but I was in a place called blackreach, and I killed an enemy in a tent, walked into the tent to loot his body, and I couldn't walk out of the tent. Luckily I had an autosave just prior to that. In my first post, I said that I saw an NPC float in the air, and that was true, but since then I hadn't seen anything like that. There is some clipping, where animals in the environment might be sticking out from it, but it's not something I've seen often.

You don't have to worry about performance. I did watch the Pro vs. Base PS4, but I don't remember what the difference was between the two in terms of fps. I have a base PS4 and it runs fine. I'm finally, after 50 hours of just exploring and doing side stuff, going through the main quest. I just wanted to see it through. I'll probably play this until the Switch and Zelda come out. I don't know if you should listen to Alex if he's saying it's not running well. I have no idea what he's talking about. This is the first time I've heard anything about that, though.

Edit - I was just going to post the video above. Yeah, you should watch that.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, it runs like a dream. That's why it's so annoying when Alex keeps putting it down, when he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrpilkington: GOTY podcasts and podcasts around the time of release. Sorry, can't be more specific than that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bojackhorseman: I get what you mean though, I ended up buying it for Xbox One since the mod support is much better and so far the performance has been much smoother than I remember it being on last gen.

Carville

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have it on PS4 I've had quite a few crashes while playing with mods but without it runs great. I will say I had the glitch where npcs would disappear but they did fix that. If you in it for the mods as other people have said the Xbox has a better selection.