First comparisons between Wii U and Switch

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By hermes

I would like to play the game, but not enough to buy a new console, or navigate through what is sure to be an scarcity problem... So, I was looking for comparison videos between the Wii U version and the Switch version, to see if the differences between them are so noticeable that I might stomach them or wait for it for the time being... then I found these:

It seems like the differences are not so noticeable, at least if you can spare a 2GB installation on the Wii U. Other than a second here and there during loading, and some framerate problems in one version or another, they are pretty much the same.

Can someone else validate these conclusions? I am sure whatever issues Nintendo finds down the line will only be patched on the Switch, but it seems like the Wii U version is more than comparable.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I would hope the WiiU version is good, I mean it's been in development on that hardware for quite a while.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It might just be the compression from Youtube but I honestly couldn't tell that much of a difference between the two. The Switched seemed a bit more vibrant on the colors and shading but I'd be hard pressed to tell you which was which if the label wasn't there.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Well I hope that's true , since I already ordered the WiiU version. It's what made $$ sense for me at the moment

Chuwero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Chuwero

Hooray! 279 saved and I get some use out of my wii U!

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to get a Switch right now but I just can't justify it quite yet. This makes me feel good enough about sticking with the Wii U version for now.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BojackHorseman

If the WiiU version is solid, I'm buying this fucking game. Did not think I would, but the reviews have been so insane. Also, it looked like the guys just loved what they saw during the quick look.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expected the Wii U version to be perfectly fine (since it was mostly made for that) so it's nice to see early science saying so.

Gonna be a nice, last HOORAH for my Wii U. Gave me far more entertainment then it probably should have.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep hearing something about improved ambient audio with the Switch version (while docked) but I can only guess what that means.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine it will be about the difference between the PS3/4 versions of games like Guilty Gear and Persona 5. Noticeable, but not deal breaking. But I imagine the Switch version but get more love with patches down the road too, as I bet they will iron some of the minor framerate problems at some point.

CVagts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have access to a Wii U and have zero interest in buying a Switch, so I really hope the Wii U version is up to snuff. The whispers about it on the Bombcast were disheartening but I'm willing to wait until the dust settles and people can say for sure how it holds up.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I have to imagine the Wii U version will run fine in most instances, while normal stuff's going on. The game was largely developed for that console after all. If it suffers from framerate dips, it's probably when there's lots of stuff going on (like lots of enemies on screen or what-have-you).

Seeing as how the Switch suffers from this too, it won't be any surprise that the Wii U does as well -- I just hope it isn't egregious.

Doskias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There were some shady people doing some shady livestreams on YouTube the other day, and based on that, it looks like the WiiU version looks really nice and runs really smoothly.

triumvir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd love to hear some Duders' impressions of Wii U performance. My Amazon pre-order shipped from Vancouver this morning, and I probably won't get it until late next week because I life in the boondocks on the East Coast.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impressions!

I've been played 7 hours of the Wii-U version today and it runs fine. There is some choppiness in villages but nothing unplayable. And it only seems to be certain parts of villages, not the whole place. I've had a handful of other moments where it has gotten a bit choppy for a second or so but it clears itself up very quickly. Not had any problems out in the open or while in combat. And I've heard that the Switch can also have some frame issues.

Load times aren't an issue. The only time you really get loading screens are going in and out of shrines or fast travelling, and they've been fast enough for both. Don't think I've had any loading so far entering villages or shops or while traversing the map or anything like that.

Draw distance seems fine too. All of the 'point of interest' stuff in the distance you need to see is there. Had a couple of horse riding NPCs pop in close to me as I think they are a kind of random encounter, but they've been the only ones to do that and I think it's happened twice.

The landscape, the weather, the wildlife, the vegetation, the characters, they all look great. Despite the couple of issues I've mentioned above, none of them have come close to stopping me put those 7 hours in to the game so far. I'll say if anything more serious comes up, but right now I am perfectly happy with it.

CVagts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@paulmako: are you playing the disc version or a digital download?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By paulmako
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seems to work fine out in the open world which is good since that's probably the bulk of the game but god help you if you get anywhere near a group of people.

mcbisquick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

Impressions!

I've been played 7 hours of the Wii-U version today and it runs fine. There is some choppiness in villages but nothing unplayable. And it only seems to be certain parts of villages, not the whole place. I've had a handful of other moments where it has gotten a bit choppy for a second or so but it clears itself up very quickly. Not had any problems out in the open or while in combat. And I've heard that the Switch can also have some frame issues.

Load times aren't an issue. The only time you really get loading screens are going in and out of shrines or fast travelling, and they've been fast enough for both. Don't think I've had any loading so far entering villages or shops or while traversing the map or anything like that.

Draw distance seems fine too. All of the 'point of interest' stuff in the distance you need to see is there. Had a couple of horse riding NPCs pop in close to me as I think they are a kind of random encounter, but they've been the only ones to do that and I think it's happened twice.

The landscape, the weather, the wildlife, the vegetation, the characters, they all look great. Despite the couple of issues I've mentioned above, none of them have come close to stopping me put those 7 hours in to the game so far. I'll say if anything more serious comes up, but right now I am perfectly happy with it.

For what it's worth, I'm on the digital version on the Wii U and I can pretty much echo all of this. Seems like a fine version to play if you don't want to run out and buy a Switch just yet.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1
deactivated-5cdbdf5c5a6e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It appears the contrast ratio is the biggest difference and that doesn't seem to be because of SSAO or something rather because Wii U is native "Limited RGB" (16-235) and maybe the switch does PC levels (0-255).

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By meteora3255

@triumvir: It runs fine for the most part. There are some hiccups here and there, especially around other people. I have been playing for about 5 hours and took a video of the most noticeable one. For some reason my capture set up didn't get the colors right so sorry about that.

Loading Video...
Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meteora3255: Yeah that spot in particular is the worst I've seen as well. Even the first proper town did not cause as many problems.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The most framey i've noticed the Wii U version get is in combat with a bunch of enemies. (that could be because I like throwing bombs every few seconds though)

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By monkeyking1969

@meierthered Yeah, it seems like DigitalFoundry was the site that looked at this the best. They have the advantage of having the testing equipment that has firm viewable results, they don't have to rely on their own eyes or noticing hiccups. Also, DF has a nice comparison for 'docked' and 'undocked' results.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By Anund

@triumvir: It runs fine for the most part. There are some hiccups here and there, especially around other people. I have been playing for about 5 hours and took a video of the most noticeable one. For some reason my capture set up didn't get the colors right so sorry about that.

Loading Video...

Whenever I see gameplay of this game it just looks barren and kind of desolate. I think it's the lack of grass and bushes. Just a flat, green surface extending to the horizon.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@anund: Your crazy there is thick grass and trees and forests and mountains, the landscape is the star of the game!

dogbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By dogbox

Been playing on Wii U (digital), only noticeable chugs I've had so far are when a gigantic explosion goes off or in some of the bigger towns. Mostly been quite stable.

octaslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm baffled that there is zero touchscreen or second screen support on the Wii U. Even when it pulls the keyboard, you can't use the touch screen. Not that it really needs it, but it is strange for a first party game.

The performance seems on par with the Switch version. I really wish they would have made some visual sacrifices in areas where the framerate tanked. I don't recall a recent Nintendo game running this poorly. It's a shame because in most areas it's fine and looks amazing.

Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@anund: Your crazy there is thick grass and trees and forests and mountains, the landscape is the star of the game!

Is the video I was quoting just an exception then?

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anund said:
@evilsbane said:

Is the video I was quoting just an exception then?

That video really doesnt do the game justice, just like any open world game it can look a lot worse depending on the time of day and the weather.

The video MeierTheRed posted does a much better job of comparing each version of the game.

I've spent a bit more time with the Wii U version and just beat one of the dungeons (or BotW's equivalent) and it generally doesnt perform great but I dont have any problems with the visuals.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@meierthered: I was waiting for this video. Very interesting to see that Wii U and Switch drop to 20 fps at entirely different points.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#33 fisk0  Moderator

As someone who played Metal Gear Solid V on PS3, I think I'll be fine with the Wii U version of this.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meierthered Yeah, it seems like DigitalFoundry was the site that looked at this the best. They have the advantage of having the testing equipment that has firm viewable results, they don't have to rely on their own eyes or noticing hiccups. Also, DF has a nice comparison for 'docked' and 'undocked' results.

Indeed DF has been my go to when it comes to performance differences and just in general what underlying tech games use.

@meierthered: I was waiting for this video. Very interesting to see that Wii U and Switch drop to 20 fps at entirely different points.

Its really weird, the drops on the Switch occurs on some weird spots it seems, even places where nothing is really happening on screen. I'm wondering how the performance would have been if they just kept it running at 720p docked instead of bumping it up to the 900p.