General Impressions

• 127 results
OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I haven't seen one of these on here yet. So I thought we could all share our early impressions!

I've only spent an hour or 2 with the game (Wii U version) but it already seems massive! I haven't really done much yet because I've spent so much time in the starting area just looking at things and poking and proding.

I did have kind of one of those moments where there was a gap in between the land that I knew I couldn't jump across. There was a tree sitting close by and I thought "I wonder if I coukd use that" and it totally worked! Maybe that's a small thing, but I felt pretty cool chopping down a tree and using it to cross.?

Anyway, what are your impressions of the game so far?

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By MrBGone

I tried to start a "tell me about your adventure" thread earlier, completely dead, hopefully this one will be more lively! I'm aching to hear more about what you've been up to! I really need someone to talk to about the game. It might be the greatest gaming experience I've had. So many weird ways to solve stuff.

Bombs are a blast, so much random bomb-related stuff going on. The bombs even saved me when I got lost in a really, really dark place. To find my way out I had to blast bombs to light the environment upp for a brief moment. Spent an hour in that darkness, got some good stuff at least.

Otherwize I've been traveling the mountains for the whole day and caught a new horse since the tearful departure from my first one. Took me about 30 minutes to catch the new horse, it's extremely wild but kinda looked like my girlfriends horse so had to get it... It kicked me down the hill twice and then a thunderstormwas about to hit, tamed the horse in the last second and pumped myself up with elixirs - speeding away from the storm while trying not to fall down from a cliff this time.

There's really not much hand holding going on, the game throws stuff against you constantly - like that dark place, it was pitch black - good luck finding your way out. Makes me wonder what DS 2 would've been like if they went as dark when the torch went out...

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

About 7 hours in so far, and it is goddamn incredible. The omission of icons on the map to guide you is such a great choice, because exploration of the world is this game. I love that some people can find items and abilities 10 hours into the game, where other people were 80 hours in before finding them. Having the entire world open from the first hour without anything gating you is such a breath of fresh air from traditionally structured modern open world games. It really hearkens back to the very first Zelda on the NES.

I haven't felt this sense of wanderlust and willingness to just explore what is off in the distance and in the little nooks and crannies since vanilla World of Warcraft. It's exactly what open world games have been trying to capture for so long, ever since that first time someone uttered that cheesy "See that mountain?" line. I don't think any game has actually made good on that phrase until this came along. They took such a huge risk with stripping out the entire formula in favor of going back to the feeling of that first game, and it payed off in quite possibly the best way it ever could have. Nintendo made something really special that I think a lot of people are going to remember for a long time to come.

I could barely sleep last night from the 5 hours I played before heading to bed, I just wanted to stay up and play. That hasn't happened since I was just a child.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By meteora3255

@doctordonkey: When I first heard Reggie use the "See that mountain" line when he was pitching the game I thought "Oh how cute, Nintendo has never made a true open world game before so they are just now getting around to all that marketing speak." Then I played it and I saw that mountain, climbed it, did the shrine at the top and then glided down to attack some bokoblins below for a treasure chest. I love the sense of danger I get (about 8 hours in). Every encounter feels deadly. I never thought I would be sneaking up on enemy camps Far Cry-style in a Zelda game but it works. Hell, it even made me get out a notebook which I haven't done in a video game in years. There are a pair of shrines at two mountaintops I encountered and you had to move objects in one shrine to match the layout in the other to proceed. Really great stuff.

Its not without its issues. I don't particularly like the huge amount of inventory management or the low durability everything seems to have and the framerate, while not unplayable, isn't always the best. Of course neither of those things make me any less interested in playing more.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ripelivejam

@giantlennonx_x said:

I haven't seen one of these on here yet. So I thought we could all share our early impressions!

I've only spent an hour or 2 with the game (Wii U version) but it already seems massive! I haven't really done much yet because I've spent so much time in the starting area just looking at things and poking and proding.

I did have kind of one of those moments where there was a gap in between the land that I knew I couldn't jump across. There was a tree sitting close by and I thought "I wonder if I coukd use that" and it totally worked! Maybe that's a small thing, but I felt pretty cool chopping down a tree and using it to cross.?

Anyway, what are your impressions of the game so far?

i totally had the same tree moment and yeah maybe it was terribly obvious but when it fell just right to cross i felt a little surge of excitement.

Personally, I think I'm in love. The game seems simple on the surface, but there's something about the purity of it (at least initially, i'm guessing it gets more involved as you go on) and even the kind of aimlessness that is actually really inviting. it's also the kind of game that seems good at keeping you engrossed for a few minutes or a few hours. it's just weird how it feels so distilled and basic in a way, and yet so goddamn fresh. I'm waiting for work to be over so I can sink some decent time into it (though I do have it here as it is a portable too, heh...)

Horizon is a prettier game; well, maybe technically. The art style here is quite wonderful, regardless.

I didn't mind the TV performance. Maybe it can be improved with patches but I can deal with it.

I'm hoping there's some late game unbreakable or highly durable stuff. I'm guessing there's never a repair mechanic that comes up? Considering it seems like they open like 90% of the mechanics up in the first couple hours I'm guessing not. At the end I think they should just give you a few unbreakable items so you can run around and have fun/wreak havoc.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By cerberus3dog

Playing on WiiU and I'm 6-ish hours in, I'm finding the frame rate to be pretty damn annoying. Anytime there is an NPC, enemies, or buildings around in the open world the frame rate stutters. Thankfully, I have been spending most of my time alone in huge open spaces. Just the idea that Nintendo knew about these frame rate issues on Switch and WiiU and decided to push it to release just so that it could be on launch day for the Switch is disappointing. Had reviewers played on the WiiU instead of the Switch I think their opinion would have soured a bit.

I agree with people talking about the "purity" of the gameplay systems. Every mechanic is clear and well defined, each one has a single purpose and can interact with different systems in specific ways. Take the durability mechanic for example. Every weapon has a simple durability rating based on the strength of that weapon. Hitting objects with it decrease that weapon's durability. Really simple but it changes how you approach combat. Do I use my more rare, stronger weapon for normal enemies or do I take a greater risk using weaker weapons that do less damage and lose durability faster? Every mechanic changes how you play the game based on your situation. This example applies to healing items with the cooking materials, to traversal with your stamina bar, to abilities upgrading your little tablet gizmo, and to buying new gear selling your collected items. While other games have had these same elements in them, Nintendo makes each mechanic feel like it has a specific, important purpose and adds to the overall game.

They took the modern conventions of open world game design and made them their own, simplifying and refining it in the classic Nintendo polish that hallmarks their great games. I really dig it. The frame rate issues I'm having right now, however, are a glaring flaw that is making this game harder to play and enjoy.

edit: I've been looking at WiiU/Switch comparisons for this game and the performance difference between them is small but noticeable. It appears I'm just more sensitive to the frame rate drops than others.

Loading Video...

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My opening experience with the game was very bad because I tried to play it as everyone seemed to suggest which was just start wondering around and have fun, and that just leads to endless death. After following the critical path to Kakariko and getting some actual equipment I'm having a decent time.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By meteora3255

@efesell: Were you cooking buff foods and using the bow a lot? I didn't go to Kakariko for like 5 or 6 hours after the quest started and while it was difficult at times I found as long as I planned and utilized the easy arrow critical hits I could get through encounters which lead to better weapons. Definitely easier once you do main story but not impossible.

Also want to add another story from my adventure. I was trying to get to a spot that was pretty heavily guarded. It was raining and I was in puddles. As I was fighting a monster another in the back shot lightning arrows. Turns out shooting them into puddles amplifies their effects and enemies aren't immune. I managed to get the archer to kill all his melee buds for me. Another moment where the game mechanics worked in a way that makes sense but was unexpected.

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe a couple of hours in. Nothing about it so far seems all that mind blowing. Yes you can go anywhere and do anything but the world doesn't feel all that interesting. I dunno, it's still early. It's getting better.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: My strategy is usually to run away unless I can sneak in and attack. If you have good weapons it's easy but I don't want to waste that precious durability.

Tips for people going exploring: prioritize inventory slots for hand weapons. I've found 15 or so 25+ weapons but only two shields and bows one the same level. Also, there a lot of other useful items taking up hand weapon slots.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another cool thing: interactions change a lot depending on what you're wearing. I value that 1000x over voice acting.

My only complaint so far is that it would be far more hilarious if the songs had real voices instead of just lyrics. Would it be silly? YES. But silly in a Zelda-way. =)

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Efesell

@mrbgone: Eh yeah but I want the things I find at the end of these huge fields to be a cool encounter and not something I have to nervously poke at and hope it doesn't kill me in one hit.

It's better now after buying and upgrading some proper equipment but it was a sour first impression.

chebbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel like I am the Switch brand with how I have been playing it. When I finished on the monitor for the night I decided to complete one more shrine in bed, so just pulled it out and did that, weirdly cool thing. Also, had a long train journey today so it was good to get a couple of hours in that time too.

Game wise I am loving it. My favourite part so far was thinking I was so clever shooting fire arrows at a horde of Bobobkins, only for the flames to come back towards me through the dry grass and kill me. Climbing sheer rock faces is also very fun.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely love it so far. I really wish I could keep track of recipes though. I always forget how I made something.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: provided you still have one in your inventory there is a recipe option. Not ideal but it may help.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza said:

Absolutely love it so far. I really wish I could keep track of recipes though. I always forget how I made something.

Have you ever thought of, you know, writing them down?

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza said:

Have you ever thought of, you know, writing them down?

Come on, we can't all be Scanlon.

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Inresurrection

@wynnduffy: I actually plan on doing this, though. I have various notebooks I need to make use of and Breath of the Wild seems like the perfect game to use actual handwritten logs. It's not something I usually do, but BotW has lit a fire inside of me that will not be extinguished until I finally play it. I can't fucking wait.

LethalPlacebo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing the Wii U version and really, really enjoying it. My biggest disappointment so far is the framerate. The game absolutely chugs in some areas it feels like. I can't help but wonder if the team had an extra month or two if they could've more aggressively optimized the Switch version. Who knows, maybe patches will come to both, but I'm not holding out too much hope for that. Other than that, totally my kind of game. I love exploring every little nook and cranny. I'm surprised, honestly. Every time I've seen something random in the distance and thought "ah, maybe this will lead to something" it always has led to SOMETHING, be it big or small, which I super appreciate. Nintendo did an excellent job making Hyrule really feel like a world in this one. Random merchants and people wandering the roads, enormous map, climbing mountains to get a better vantage point, improved combat, getting your ass kicked by enemies. It all feels so good.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By mrcraggle

When people speak about the feelings that Studio Ghibli movies make you feel; this is that. This is what Ni No Kuni should've been in some ways. I love that game but less for its gameplay and more for everything else. With BotW, I'm getting a kick out of the smallest things such talking to travellers and cooking with a little girl in the Kakariko village (Paya also needs to be considered for the best new character 2017,just sayin') . It's just so charming and the art design really sells it. I'll be interested to see if it holds up as well as Wind Waker did over time.

It does certainly have its issues such as the frame rate and the items breaking so easy, so early on is a little frustrating but that's part of why I bring up Studio Ghibli. Their films are incredible but often have some flaw but it's usually not enough to really ding the rest of the film for.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am envious of those having such a great time with it because I want to and it looks like a hell of a game but I keep just finding parts that are aggressively interested in driving me out.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By Evilsbane

Completely in love, I love the Switch and this game, took it for a 45 minute car ride today and couldn't be happier it is really something else to not only be able to play a full console game on the move like that but the controls feel great I was dropping fools with long range arrows with zero issues.

I feel like I have barely played any of the game after 6 hours and that is really exciting.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoy it a lot so far, but it definitely has some parts that are a pain to slog through.

Base stamina for running is soooo bad which is made worse by the fact the world is HUGE and you move real slow, so getting around is a real pain in the ass. The inventory system is not good either and I end up fighting with it more then I should.

Having fun though, really digging the style and the exploration. The puzzle shrines are top notch too.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tutorializing the game mechanics through the shrines was such a great idea. It's a much better way to absorb that info rather than having a text dialogue info dump taking up the first few hours of the game. Beyond that there's really not much I can say that hasn't been said already. I'm on WiiU and feel like it's been just fine. My preferred way to play this game is actually Off-TV and I don't notice the framerate enough to bother me when I do this.

madladunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving it so far, played one full charge with the handheld Switch (2.5 hours I think).

Favourite moment so far might have been wandering around the forest and spotting something glinting in a birds nest. Climbed the tree and grabbed it. Just eggs. Made sense.

Ravenlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Framerate issues notwithstanding (and they do suck sometimes, but most of the time I can ignore them so far), this may be the best game I've played in a decade or more. It hasn't left my brain since I first started, and when I'm not playing it, I want to be. It's visually stunning, consistently surprising me with new things, and just so generous with its content and options. I can't remember a game where I've felt like I had so many options without feeling overwhelming by not knowing what to do next. The Witcher 3 came close, but even there I sometimes felt like it was hard to decide what thing to tackle next. Here, so far, I just pick a direction and I go, and it's been rewarding every single time.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BoOzak

I just beat the first main boss (or one of them, I dont think theres an order) and i'm liking it more and more as I play. The issues like terrible weapon durability and stamina become less of an issue and i'm also getting used to the framerate, which doesnt excuse it by any means but it's not driving me mad anymore.

@ripelivejam said:

I'm hoping there's some late game unbreakable or highly durable stuff. I'm guessing there's never a repair mechanic that comes up? Considering it seems like they open like 90% of the mechanics up in the first couple hours I'm guessing not. At the end I think they should just give you a few unbreakable items so you can run around and have fun/wreak havoc.

The closest i've seen is an NPC who will repair two specific weapons for you, although i'm pretty sure you will get the Master Sword at some point and I doubt that breaks.

EDIT: Repairing said weapon required another weapon and extra mats :(

But yeah, it's a good game with some issues. I think one of the things I like most about it is how every NPC is an actual character that has some personality to them.

WasabiIceCream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The Gyroscope puzzles are absolute trash.

I've been playing in handheld mode exclusively, and these puzzles force me to spin the entire console around, to the point of not being able to see shit.

Then, some of these puzzles are physics-based, and they're fucking impossible, because you can't swing the entire console fast enough to do what they want. (The hammer puzzle from Dan's Quick Look is an example.)

The only option when most of these come up is to remove both of the JoyCon, and do it that way. It's extremely annoying.

Everything else is fantastic, though. :)

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By Atwa

Played like 6 hours today and I really like the game, and find that it gets better and better the more you play it. When you get accessibility to more cooking, having horses, more parts of the map, more weapons and such. I have had no problems with the weapon durability by the fact that almost every enemy has a weapon that you can pick up, so I often don't even have room to pick up more. I actually really like the system, as it forces you to really use all the weapons and its fun.

My only problems so far is that the framerate is real bad at times, and that the gyroscope puzzles aren't that fun. Other than that, really having a good time. I really like that basically all NPCs have something unique to say, and the game is really quite funny at times.

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#32  Edited By Junkerman

So... anyone want to give me a really sober recommendation of the game? With all the praise its getting I cant help but feel like I should pick it up, however I'm skeptical if I'd actually enjoy it. From what I've seen in the gameplay it looks really interesting and fun but I'm not seeing anything that stands out as a fresh new take that demands you experience it. I cant help but feel like its just Zelda: Minecraft/Terraria/Dragons Dogma with AAA money behind it. Now I really loved all of those games but I'm feeling burnt out of the whole open world/crafting/checklist content.

However based on the reviews it sounds like its exactly what I'm looking for because it does away with all of those systems. From what I've seen of the gameplay though I just dont see it. Is it something you just need to sit down and experience for yourself?

Basically I'm just looking for some thoughtful insight on the game from folks who maybe arent as down the rabbit hole of hype at the moment. I'll have to jump through some real hoops to get a Wii U to play it on and just dont want to be burned spending a bunch of time and money on this only to be let down.

CcFfBb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think I'm close to the 10 hour mark right now. Something about the running from destination to destination makes me smile. One time I got caught up in the mountains and found my way from one mountain to another where there was a shrine tucked away. I bought some new clothes to help with armor, but I still feel like I'm vulnerable just running around. I know this might sound funny, but I feel like celebrating every victory. Every chest I find, or every critical arrow hit I get...there's a lot of reward in those moments. I ran out of arrows and panicked, too. So I try to find a camp and scour some from those that shot at me. I want to save my rupees for more advanced gear and bomb arrows.

I'm playing on the Wii U version (downloaded from eShop, plus update). I haven't tried playing solely on the gamepad, but the game is just a marvel. I can go hunting, foraging, and the Tips tell me there will be fishing later. I'm not the smoothest on the combat, but I've got some of the moves down, and I've learned some more tactics just recently that I'll employ. I also enjoy the part where when a weapon becomes weak and will break soon, Link has the option to throw the weapon and if it hits, there's double damage. I've really enjoyed the shrines. I think I've seen 7 so far, and the puzzles are clever. I read on the gamepage on the eShop that more than 100 shrines exist in the game. Overall, the combat flows for me as I switch between melee and bow, or use a rune and toss a bomb while sprinting as fast as I can. Also being able to switch between 1-h and 2-h weapons adds to the combat. Collecting the food and making better food reminds me a lot of Monster Hunter, another series that I have enjoyed playing.

My impression of the game is that it has been an excellent adventure so far, and I can see that continuing for a long time. I get a real enjoyment out of playing and I'm happy to report that here, in case there are readers who are might be looking at purchasing the Wii U version of the game.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wasabiicecream: I just about sent the gamepad sailing out of the window during the first gyroscope puzzle I hit. Awful all around. Physics feel off, dimensions are bad both visually and in relation to where you have the pad compared to where the thing is on the screen, just an overall exercise in frustration. Other than that, I adore the game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These Korok Trials are some of the worst bullshit I've seen in a game.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I started playing Breath of the Wild on the Wii U yesterday evening at about 8:00 and have been playing it almost non-stop since, barring a normal 8 hours of sleep and taking a break to go get some pizza. I've spoiler blocked most of the stuff below because I wrote way more than I thought I would.

It's pretty damn good! I could list some flaws and annoyances - they should have had either weapon durability or limited inventory, having both sucks. Either that or let me stack weapons. Would be great if I could just just use every Bokoblin Club I have found as a throwing weapon, or just as that thing I break boxes with.

Also, the game is pretty difficult. Your mileage may vary on this one, but I strongly recommend following the main path until about the time you get the camera if you don't want to deal with one hit kills and stumbling into "too much" - and even then, you're probably going to die a few times. Me? I like that about the game. It doesn't hold your hand at all. I've played too many open world games where I'm basically invincible after an hour or two. Here, you can go anywhere, but you're not guaranteed to be ready for "anywhere". Thanks to the extremely forgiving fast travel system, you can never really fuck yourself over.

But this is an open world done really, really well. I love the idea of an open world, of just going wherever your feet take you and finding something interesting to look at or do, and this game does that. It also does a really good job of showing you just how vast the world is. You spend a lot of time in high places in this game and every time I look out over the landscape, I'm pretty amazed at what Nintendo have accomplished here. The draw distance is great, for one, but you can see so much and you can see so many features of the landscape.

There's a whole lot of stuff for me to love here, and I'm pretty addicted to it.

The Gyroscope puzzles are absolute trash.

I've been playing in handheld mode exclusively, and these puzzles force me to spin the entire console around, to the point of not being able to see shit.

Then, some of these puzzles are physics-based, and they're fucking impossible, because you can't swing the entire console fast enough to do what they want. (The hammer puzzle from Dan's Quick Look is an example.)

The only option when most of these come up is to remove both of the JoyCon, and do it that way. It's extremely annoying.

Everything else is fantastic, though. :)

The one gyroscope puzzle that I've come across so far was also rather infuriating on the Wii U. You said puzzles plural, so hearing that there's more kinda sucks.

As far as the hammer puzzle goes, Dan could have used Stasis on the ball and hit it with the hammer two or three times and that would have put way more force behind it, which would have made that puzzle much easier. I know where that shrine is, I just haven't visited it yet.

@boozak said:

I just beat the first main boss (or one of them, I dont think theres an order) and i'm liking it more and more as I play. The issues like terrible weapon durability and stamina become less of an issue and i'm also getting used to the framerate, which doesnt excuse it by any means but it's not driving me mad anymore.

@ripelivejam said:

The closest i've seen is an NPC who will repair two specific weapons for you, although i'm pretty sure you will get the Master Sword at some point and I doubt that breaks.

EDIT: Repairing said weapon required another weapon and extra mats :(

But yeah, it's a good game with some issues. I think one of the things I like most about it is how every NPC is an actual character that has some personality to them.

Are you talking about Ruta? The Divine Beast near the Zora's Domain? I also did that tonight, that was a pretty cool thing/series of things. It's great to see a major Zelda boss who has a health bar and doesn't depend on the "do this thing three times" pattern. I did get a hold of that weapon, used it quite a bit, and then it broke. Thinking my weapon degradation woes were greatly lessened, I teleported back to Zora's Domain and was extremely disappointed when I found out that I'd have to have a few materials on hand, one of which is a weapon itself, and none of which are remarkably common, to re-forge it. I thought he could just make me a new one. Fuck. Oh well, at this point I'm swimming in weapons, but the cool gear is part of the reason I like this game and having my favorite stuff be so fragile is just a bummer.

So... anyone want to give me a really sober recommendation of the game? With all the praise its getting I cant help but feel like I should pick it up, however I'm skeptical if I'd actually enjoy it. From what I've seen in the gameplay it looks really interesting and fun but I'm not seeing anything that stands out as a fresh new take that demands you experience it. I cant help but feel like its just Zelda: Minecraft/Terraria/Dragons Dogma with AAA money behind it. Now I really loved all of those games but I'm feeling burnt out of the whole open world/crafting/checklist content.

However based on the reviews it sounds like its exactly what I'm looking for because it does away with all of those systems. From what I've seen of the gameplay though I just dont see it. Is it something you just need to sit down and experience for yourself?

Basically I'm just looking for some thoughtful insight on the game from folks who maybe arent as down the rabbit hole of hype at the moment. I'll have to jump through some real hoops to get a Wii U to play it on and just dont want to be burned spending a bunch of time and money on this only to be let down.

I like this game a whole hell of a lot and it's definitely worth giving it a shot. Nintendo have done all they can to avoid making it feel like a checklist. When you climb a tower, the only thing that fills in is the map and some name locations - you've gotta go find the interesting stuff yourself. Everything about this game seems geared toward putting the "exploration" part back in open world games, as opposed to running to an icon, doing a thing, running to the next icon, doing a thing, rinse, repeat 'til dead of boredom.

Still, it's not perfect and I'm still not certain it quite deserves the perfect scores that every outlet is giving it. If the idea of seeing a place and running to it just to find out what's there and what you can do still appeals to you, then yeah, it's definitely worth it. It's probably better at that than anything else has ever been. If you're totally burned-out on lots of walking and gawking at scenery and the subpar (but nowhere near as bad as Far Cry 3) framerate, weapon degradation, and constant inventory management sound like they would be too annoying, then maybe wait until the Switch has a reasonable list of good exclusive games and play it then. Since it's one of Nintendo's biggest games, you can bet that they're not going to bring the price down anytime soon or maybe ever.

I haven't come across much crafting in 13 hours of play, apart from cooking. There's a fair bit of throwing any ingredient into a pot and watching a short cooking animation. There are also other crafting parts that I haven't found anything to do with yet - they're clearly not for cooking, though ("ancient screw"?)

adulfzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By adulfzen

You can take selfies with Link so I'd say it's 10/10.

Avatar image for rauthelegendary
RauTheLegendary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still not sure how I feel about this game. I'm probably 20 hours in now and the weapon durability is still annoying and kills most enjoyment I normally get out of loot systems. Who cares about that fancy new weapon if it's going to break after one or two mobs. There's honestly not been enough unique movesets so far to make this "throwaway" weapon system achieve what I think it was meant to achieve. Finding new shields/bows is a hassle because there's no quick way to replace an old one. Over time it becomes slightly less annoying as you get more inventory space. The game really has a lot of badly designed inventory/menu management in general. Which makes it all the more scummy that they decided to ignore the gamepad screen on the Wii U because that would've probably helped a bit. The framerate on the Wii U version is also unacceptable for a AAA title. Towns are at a consistent 20fps, in some areas the framerate also drops during combat and I've even had two or three short freezes during combat. It makes me want to get out of towns as quickly as possible because it just looks and feels awful.

The game could also seriously use key rebinding. I'm usually quick to adjust to that stuff but the setup Zelda uses still feels clunky and not intuitive at all. The stamina system is way too restrictive at first but gets better as you go along. Having to sacrifice hearts in order to get the stamina system to a place where it isn't garbage is not a good thing though. The rain affecting climbing is a cool idea that sucks in reality. It can often mean you're just stuck waiting for the weather to change. I also feel like the exploration has already gotten a bit stale for me as you're mostly looking for the same stuff over and over again (shrines, korok seeds, memories). At first I really liked how the towers didn't really reveal anything on the map, but I'm now at the point where it still feels like the same checklist gameplay every open world game has only the list is invisible in this one. Oh and fuck gyro shrines, the gyro on the Wii U is not even close to good enough for that. The other shrines are OK so far, but have all been on the easy side. I miss the classic big dungeons, but I haven't tried the new equivalent just yet.

I still enjoy the game, which might come as a suprise after reading all the complaints I have... I tend to focus a bit too much on the things I dislike in games. The best part about the game is the movement system. It really is the best one I've ever seen in an open world game, because it truly realises the whole 'see that mountain, you can go there' concept. On that note this entire game gives me a 3D platformer vibe with the main gameplay loop mostly consisting of finding collectibles while running, jumping, swimming or climbing around. It also has that Zelda charm and it offers a feeling of adventure that most games don't really manage to create. This game is not at all close to a perfect score for me, but I do tend to dislike open world games unless they have a really strong narrative of their own (aka Witcher 3).

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wasabiicecream: Are you saying this game forces you to use motion controls?

Jertje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really torn about this. Maybe someone can help - I'll play advocate of the devil here. Please bear with me as I try to coherently write down my internal struggle in an attempt to resolve the cognitive dissonance.

I'm watching gameplay of Breath of the Wild and I am assessing it objectively. Like a businessman trying to gauge how valuable a new investment is.

What I see is a semi-polished game with outdated mechanics, a lack of NPC voice acting, a dodgy framerate and an interesting world which does seem to be hindered somewhat by its own mechanics. The visuals look stunning in terms of art in some place, and incredibly bland and gray (and empty) in others. In essence it looks like a solid 7/10 game with some (outdated) shine to it. I wouldn't buy this game if I saw video's of it - that's my conclusion. Perhaps if it got rave reviews and was on discount for $30. So... there's my rather harsh introduction. Stick with me.

Now. I am also a huge Zelda fan. I've played through ALTTP and OOT perhaps a combined total of 20 times. I'm also hugely nostalgic for Majora's Mask for its quirky game world even though the actual game I didn't like so much for its time-based mechanics. For me, Zelda is synonymous with farm fuzzy feeling and unadulterated hype. A new Zelda game is always exciting - even if I've not owned a Nintendo console since Gamecube I've always followed the latest Zelda titles as they are a benchmark for the quality of the system for me.

Back to the analogy of the businessman. I'm 30 now. I've become more critical of the money I spend on things; on the time I spend on things and through the years I got better at controlling my inner hypetrain. In fact, Breath of the Wild is the first game which has me considering the purchase of a console (X360) since Red Dead Redemption. So what are we talking about here? We're talking about smacking down €330,- for a console which I might never use again after finishing the game (not because it's a bad console, but because this is who I am - a PC gamer who hasn't been drawn to a console game since Red Dead Redemption. You'll make up arguments and speak of Mario Kart or Mario Odyssey or other games. I'll just sit there and shrug). On top of that I'll spend €60,- on a game which I might play occasionally, but probably won't.

Consider that money is no problem - I've got that cash lying around and I'll spend it in a heartbeat. It'll hurt me to spend it as I'm not rich but I'm just saying that - yes - for me there could be a game worth €400,- (in other words: I'm eradicating the factor that I'll never turn on my Switch again - and that this fact might pose a road block - from this discussion).

Do I buy the Switch and BOTW? Here is my line of thought and although this is becoming a lengthy question I'll request your attention a little bit longer.

1. It's Zelda and my inner hype train is running at full speed.
2. It looks like Zelda - train is increasing speed still.
3. But my warm fuzzy feelings are mostly based around the Master Sword. And a Hylian shield. And a narrative involving a princess. And dungeons containing new tools and weapons.
4. Hype train just halved its speed.
5. But look at that open world... that's been everything my imagination made Hyrule field out to be since the original Zelda! (hype train speeds up again).
6. But actually...when I look at videos and objectively strip away the names and the typical Nintendo look and feel... it doesn't look like Zelda. Not really. It looks like the rather bland open world game described in my rather harsh introduction.

I'm a rational being. I'm analytical, nostalgic and in spite of this I can still be fun to talk to at parties. I'm just not sure if I like the idea of Breath of the Wild.

So my final question would be: which other rational being, who has already taken the plunge, can help me out here? How much Zelda is actually in this game if you strip away what I (and we as a game community?) have built up internally in our nostalgic minds? Will I play BOTW and have my warm fuzzy feelings comforted? Or will I be riding on nostalgia and longing for 'permanent gear', dungeons, an A-Z narrative, etc?

Would love to hear some thoughts, and forgive me for the long run-up and the black/white language.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jertje: I'm on mobile so can't do a full response yet but all I can say is

1. That since I've started playing I haven't wanted to stop.

2. There is a ton of Zelda in this.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: Yeah that's the one, you end up needing that weapon for a shrine trial, which i'm guessing is why it's reforgable.

WasabiIceCream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dgtlty: Yes, but only in the situation of Gyroscope puzzles.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jertje: I'd wait if I were you. If this game really is as great as it seems to be, it'll be just as great to play in a year when the Switch is a better value proposition than it is now (or worse depending on how well the Switch does.) Right now, it's riding a huge hype train that may or may not stand the test of time.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MezZa

I've been avoiding any threads with Zelda since release to avoid spoilers and to avoid anything influencing my opinion/expectation, but I just wanted to pop in to say that this game really does seem as good as the hype is making it out to be. I found and completed my first major story point, and it was way better than I had expected. I won't say too much about it, but there was an action sequence that had me smiling the whole way through. It was one of those moments in gaming that just makes you feel cool. The whole thing was very intelligently designed. It solidified for me that this game is an amazing zelda, and not just an open world game with a zelda skin.

This game is really hard to put down. I had planned on playing some Gwent yesterday as well to get some daily rewards, but I just couldn't turn Zelda off. There was always something on the horizon that I wanted to do. Always some npc telling me rumors of something that sounded useful, always a mountain to check out, it's always something rewarding nearby.

It does have its faults though. The basic combat I run into while exploring hasn't really clicked with me yet. I feel like I either absolutely destroy whatever I'm fighting, or it absolutely destroys me in one or two hits. There hasn't been a middle ground where I feel like I survived a grueling battle through skill. I usually win by reloading til I survive, simply having strong enough gear to kill it in a few hits, or having a tactical advantage (like rolling bombs down hills, fire arrows on explosives, boulders, etc). I'm still getting used to it though, and I might just be a bit too stingy with my weapons for my own good. I've played a lot of Dark Souls and Witcher between my last Zelda and now, so I might just be approaching the combat in the wrong way. Time will tell.

My best tip I can give is to find a recipe that gives you temporary hearts after healing. Since you have to choose between heart and stamina containers you'll need all of the extra health you can get. Resting in a soft bed also gives you a temp heart. The tougher enemies hit really hard, so depending on how you upgrade you might need some temporary health boost to not get one shot randomly.

MrBGone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jertje: I'm a highly rational, somewhat stiff and introvert businessman. I made the irrational decision to pick up a switch and I'm having the time of my gaming life.

I've never experienced such a high level of interactivity begore, I come up with ridiculous plans and the game lets me execute them.

Games I've liked almost as much: Fallout 2, Dark Souls, Majoras mask, Super Mario 64

What I can say though is that I've had a couple of friends over. One was sort of paralyzed by the scope of the game and didn't get how the mechanics can interact with each other. He got frustrated, dying over and over.

The other one got as sucked in as me and started experimenting, started using boulders as golf balls to take down camps and then got lost hunting for an hour.

That said, this game is pretty much tailor made for me. It's goat. Will you regret buying it? Dunno.

What can you lose? Some money, you should be able to resell it easily if you don't like it, or gift it away.

What can you win? Having an absolute blast for a lot of hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a little worried about this game when I first played it because the first area felt kind of dead imo and the frame rate kind of sucked in some parts of the game, but I feel like it's starting to pick up. I just got passed the first area and I'm starting to have a lot more fun with the game.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it with a group of friends yesterday. There was a whole lot of can we do X to do X? Try it and yes, we can in fact do X to do X. Game is great.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy these thunderstorms are a cool mechanic to talk about but a tester should really have brought up how 90% of your equipment is going to be metal.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I did a shrine with a motion controlled ball maze my heart skipped a beat, but then I turned the puzzle board over and solved it by bypassing a maze.... that's when I realized this game wasn't your average game.