What's the deal with Majora's Mask?

• 68 results
Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll What's the deal with Majora's Mask? (353 votes)

Best Zelda 24%
Good Zelda 48%
Bad Zelda 7%
Worst Zelda 3%
results 17%

A lot of people hate it while others think it's the best in the franchise. It seems to be the most divisive Zelda. What's the deal?

• 
CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I hate it because Jeff told me to.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Korra is the best Avatar.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not the best Zelda game but it's very good. And it's notable because it's got such a dark tone compared to other games in the franchise.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I rate it the same as ocarina which I rate as one of the best games ever

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By SMTDante89
No Caption Provided

What's the deal with it, indeed.

TowerSixteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I probably like it best, but then I don't really like Zelda much.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aegon
shikon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didn't like it at all because of the time thing. it screwed with the way i like to play games.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By afabs515

I think it's the best one in the franchise. It had a mature, dark story/tone while maintaining the groundbreaking gameplay of Ocarina of Time and adding a time travel mechanic that made sense. I have no idea why some people don't like it, and it kills me whenever Jeff bashes it. Damn you, Gerstmann!!!

EDIT: I also really liked the mask stuff

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

It's the only zelda I ever really wanted to like but it's still zelda, which means it's not fun, so...

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hotels used to have non-specific Nintendo machines that had games in them, and you could rent it by the hour in a sort of pay-per-view style. When I was a kid and we'd go on a trip somewhere, I'd always go straight for that, which meant that I ended up playing the first hour or so of Majora's Mask several times. Apparently, this is not dissimilar to the actual structure of the game.

I don't remember enough to say one way or the other, though.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By BisonHero

It's a really, really good Zelda. I wouldn't put it above Wind Waker or Link to the Past, but otherwise it is top notch. It reuses a ton of character models from OoT, but it comes up with a really fleshed out setting and uses a lot of those characters better than OoT. The premise of this asshole trickster god that has screwed over everybody and you do what you can to fix it was done really well, and the transformation masks were pretty neat.

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It was (and is) different, and in a great way. Also all the crazy theories surrounding it are fun. Well, just the one theory I guess.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#17  Edited By jacksukeru

The part at the end credits where it shows you a little scene for every mask sidequest you've managed to complete is pretty cool.

evanbower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

It's something I really need to give another try, but my experience with it so far is that it is the only Zelda I haven't been able to enjoy, and have felt like that reflects poorly on me, not the game.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's a good game.

Zalrus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it changed things up enough that I wish some of the mechanics in it would be incorporated to other Zelda games, like the masks what change you into other things, which in turn made that formula much less stale. I don't really know why they've not done it yet...

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#21  Edited By Slag

By Zelda standards it's one of the weaker ones, but since it's a Zelda it's still really good.

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VoshiNova

I loved jammin with the Zoras, and the overall darker vibe of Majoras Mask was awesome.

OOOooo and the town music! Great town music.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really like how fucking weird it is, and the art direction. I see the reason for the time limit in that game, but I hate that shit in games no matter the story reason, so that's the big negative with that game for me. All in all a fantastic game. Not quite up there with OoT, LttP or WW for me, but a great companion piece to OoT.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've grown to like it but I still think it's the hipster Zelda as in it's a poor follow up when compared to Ocarina of Time yet a vocal minority shouts to high heaven that it's the best game.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Wish N64 emulators were better. Whenever I have looked into that stuff the way controls are handled are always really weird due to the nature of the N64 controller

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Flappy

Best Zelda.

Edit: Totally forgot that Wind Waker was a thing. Majora's Mask is a good Zelda.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good Zelda with a unique identity. Not the best, but memorable.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It's not the best, but it is the weirdest Zelda game and I love it for that reason.

renmckormack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dalai said:

It's not the best, but it is the weirdest Zelda game and I love it for that reason.

Cosign.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is the best Zelda

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ben_H

It's great. It's quite unique and has a great atmosphere. I've yet to finish it because I've had saves screw up 3 times on it, which is extra punishing for that game.

I frequently whistle the Clock Town music.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

You should have had a "Fine Zelda" option.

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Hotels used to have non-specific Nintendo machines that had games in them, and you could rent it by the hour in a sort of pay-per-view style. When I was a kid and we'd go on a trip somewhere, I'd always go straight for that, which meant that I ended up playing the first hour or so of Majora's Mask several times. Apparently, this is not dissimilar to the actual structure of the game.

Not really. Even though the main mechanic is rolling back time, there's never a point in the game where you have to do the same thing twice. Now, if you fuck something up, you may have to revisit an activity, but even then, there's enough persistence in the items you obtain that it's trivial to redo something a second time.

I like what they do with it, though. The time gimmick allows them to give things actual FAIL states, which means there's actual weight and consequences to the actions you take (even if they can be reversed later). It makes you think about what you're doing more, and kinda plot out how or when you'll tackle a situation.

Also, the optional puzzles with solutions involving piecing together NPC's schedules across the three days were hella rad, if only because it's something no other game has done.

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By gokaired

I rate it above the others but i will say when i first played it I didn't like it one so much infact i played it around the same time as Wind Waker and that game got my favour.

Years later I went back to it for a bit of a marathon, sorta. And i was surprised by how much i liked it more the story was deep i appreciated all the other stuff like atmosphere and that it had more RPG elements too. The 3 days mechanic made it feel like the world was more alive, and the schedules of characters gave it momentum. Plus I noticed more of the little improvements from the prequel.

I desperately want remake, a HD version with maybe more dungeons a harder boss and orchestrated soundtrack

Loading Video...

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I can tell you that I've had a fairly strong hatred of Majora's Mask for quite some time, based on the whole dependency on sidequests and the actual lack of serious dungeoneering.

The idea of a weird, experimental Zelda game with some serious dark undercurrents appeals to me on a lot of levels, but then I think about the timer and I sort of blank out the rest. One of these days I'll have to see what I think of it now.

Avatar image for hauntingthedark
hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

Jeff also prefers the Attitude wrestling game to WWF No Mercy. He also thought Syndicate was great.

davidwitten22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a weird as fuck Zelda game, and as someone who isn't super into Zelda it is naturally my favorite. Playing it first was probably a mistake but I didn't enjoy the structure of Ocarina of Time as much because I preferred everything in Majora's Mask more. I liked the Masks that added a lot of gameplay options and a lot of strategy. It's a good game guys.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By CaLe

@hauntingthedark said:

@cale:

Jeff also prefers the Attitude wrestling game to WWF No Mercy. He also thought Syndicate was great.

I enjoyed Syndicate quite a lot. I actually said in a comment recently that I can enjoy a mediocre shooter as long as the guns feel satisfying to shoot and the enemies die in a convincing way. Syndicate guns felt really satisfying to shoot.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By PandaBear

"It seems to be the most divisive Zelda"

I think you mean Zelda II.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I go to wars with people over this game for reasons I cannot understand. To me, it is the best 3D Zelda. It does everything better than OoT, and the Zelda's that came after do not touch it.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smtdante89: God damn I hate Jerry Seinfeld and his stupid face.

Avatar image for hauntingthedark
hauntingthedark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cale:

but how does it compare with COD. Don't answer, I am joking. Each to his own. How Jeff can prefer Attitude to WWF No Mercy sounds crazy. It's still the best wrestling game but he couldn't get the system or gameplay but he enjoyed the mess that was Attitude.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It's probably my favorite Zelda though I wouldn't necessarily call it the best if that makes sense.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only smart people love Majora's Mask, that's why it gets a lot of hate.

(Im obviously kidding but MM might be one of my favourite games of all time. It's so goddamn great)

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, the optional puzzles with solutions involving piecing together NPC's schedules across the three days were hella rad, if only because it's something no other game has done.

That... actually sounds kinda cool.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#46  Edited By AndrewB

From what I've seen about Majora's Mask, it's like a really bizarre total conversion mod of Ocarina of Time. Maybe it's the time structure that rubs people the wrong way?

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47  Edited By Nictel
We just hit it off.
We just hit it off.

I love her it, the game I mean. The game is great.

tomdantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By tomdantom

I remember that despite it being a sequel to Ocarina in a literal and sequential sense, it was repeatedly billed in previews and interviews with the creators as a sort of creative non sequitur to OOT, a chance to let loose after the hefty burden of making that game. Also I think it is the first time Eji Anouma's slightly surrealist slant on the series really had a chance to fly. All that whilst still being an immensely playable Zelda. Although the expansion pack thing was annoying at the time. I wanted my console to be self contained til the end not require extra blah to do blah buuuut the proof is in the proverbial pudding I guess.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

It's fine.

It's devisive because it came out after OoT.

The game was hugely underwhelming to me at the time but it's pretty interesting when I look back on it. It's a very unique design for the game and the world was exceptionally well done in the way that all the characters had schedules and moved around and did stuff.

But come on, be really. OoT, LttP and WW are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's fucking good.