• 69 results
Avatar image for deactivated-6082f30752bdc
deactivated-6082f30752bdc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am really on the fence about this game. On the one hand it looks absolutely gorgeous, and I love the supernatural Victorian look of the game. On the other the gameplay seems really generic. I'm getting tired of games that have this great look, for example Destiny, and then shitting the bed in the content department. So is there anyone that is like super stoked for this game, or do you think it looks meh?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'll be probably something you'll play for about 6 or 8 hours tops then completely forget about.

It was obviously meant to be a "technical showcase" for the ps4, too bad the hardware can't possible handle it so they had to implement forced letterboxing and 30 FPS lock for that "cinematic feel", I'll be surprised if it can hold 30 FPS at all...

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:

It was obviously meant to be a "technical showcase" for the ps4, too bad the hardware can't possible handle it so they had to implement forced letterboxing and 30 FPS lock for that "cinematic feel", I'll be surprised if it can hold 30 FPS at all...

A developer mentioned that if they do away with that and render every last pixel of 1920x1080p they have to cut the AA from x4 MSAA to x1 MSAA. As for the framerate, as long as they make those 30fps move and flow better than GTA5 current-gen it'll be more than fine. GTA5 does 30fps the worst of all 30fps games on the PS4 even when there are no framedrops going on, I believe Jeff mentioned it was eye-strain/eye-murder to look at when other open-world games make the world move around the player so much better, even last-gen GTA5 did it.

Can't see myself dropping more than $30 on a used copy of 1886, but I could have seen myself dropping $40 tops on a new copy of Titanfall at launch. Not having a demo hurts it.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I was sifting through a Neo Gaf thread (probably a mistake on my part) a little while ago and everyone was flipping shit over this new gameplay video, I seriously fail to see what people see in this game.Yeah, the graphics look amazing, but big deal, I haven't seen any gameplay interesting let alone innovative. Just looks like another flashy 3rd person shooter.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is basically a GoW, clone. It has no aspirations beyond that in the gameplay department. The story and setting of the game is quite interesting and is something that they are making a point of focus.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ready at Dawn has done some great stuff, so it's a situation where the only reason I'm interested is because of the developer. What they did with Ghost of Sparta on the freakin' PSP was incredible.

I'm still taking a wait-and-see approach. I like third-person shooters and see nothing wrong with making one. As long as it plays well with a well-told story I'll give it a shot.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm Interested in this. But it's not an immediate purchase for me right now. I'm going to have to see the reviews and videos for it first. It's hard to say whether it will be good or not as with all new IP. That said the idea of new IP is very interesting with all the sequels,reboots, remasters etc. So that's refreshing. I hope it turns out good because it has my interest.

I hope this doesn't turn into another Destiny bashing thread.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It looks like it will be a completely forgettable third person shooter with a lot of pretty graphics.

Ironically from everything I've heard about it the Order sounds exactly like your typical launch game, except it's coming out way later.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I dunno, looked fine to me. I'll probably play it eventually, once I actually have a PS4. It'll be awhile.

Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have played games in the past purely for the characters and atmosphere over mundane gameplay such as Primal so I am hoping The Order: 1886 can at least keep me engrossed in its world. The gameplay to me doesn't look bad so long as the QTEs are kept to a minimum as that's the part that worries me most.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By emfromthesea

I'll give it the benefit of the doubt since I like the devs' previous work, but what I've seen of The Order hasn't inspired a great deal of enthusiasm from me.

Mustainium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're looking for content more than anything, I highly doubt this is the game to look out for.

It looks like a solid shooter, but without any MP, I don't see it having any replay value whatsoever.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tuxfool

@humanity: They have been working on this game for 5 years. So it isn't something that they're shoving out of the door.

It looks like a solid shooter, but without any MP, I don't see it having any replay value whatsoever.

I'm more than happy to see a developer not try to hammer in a forgettable MP mode. I suspect they're following the Uncharted model.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The weapons look neat, nothing else about the combat looks particularly interesting, though. I kind of want to pick it up on release just to satisfy my own curiosity one way or another, as crazy as that sounds. Pretty much always interested to check out a new IP, even if it turns out to be an average-at-best game.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

I play games primarily for the visual experience, so it seems great to me. If you need your gameplay to be interesting or different it doesn't seem like this is the game for you.

SplitSecond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I foresee this being a gorgeous story-driven game rather than offering particularly interesting gameplay.

As long as the shooting and other mechanics are solid though that'll be more than enough to get me to pick it up!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think it's going to be really short.

It sort of reminds me of Dragons Lair.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

I think it looks great.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tuxfool said:

@mustainium said:

I'm more than happy to see a developer not try to hammer in a forgettable MP mode. I suspect they're following the Uncharted model.

The Uncharted model of adding multiplayer in the second one and it being surprisingly great?

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Ready At Dawn but everything about this game looks bland and boring.

I get the feeling barely anyone will remember it by the end of the year.

Vahleticar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks great, that's what I'm looking for for. I saw some climbing and melee. At least it's a step you guys

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks pretty good, but I'm going to wait for reviews.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:
@tuxfool said:

@mustainium said:

The Uncharted model of adding multiplayer in the second one and it being surprisingly great?

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner!

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Day one for me

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It looks to be mainly flash to me. As other people have said, I get the feeling that it's going to be short, more of a "look what we can do" kinda game. I love a bit of steampunk, but even that part seems uninspired. Hmmmm I wonder if this band of Victorian monster hunters will uncover a plot to control the British Empire? Will one member/leader betray the team? My guess is yes, totally. Also less likely, but still something I would bet money on, is the idea that The Order itself is either funded secretly by the crown(but not the government) or by a group of selective interlectuals.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

People love Gears of War, yet when a new game comes out that plays almost the exact same (run here, hide behind cover, shoot things, move onward), people throw that term around like it is a critical point. Also, let's not forget the, according to previews, "seamless" transition from cinematic to action. That's pretty novel. Immersion is always broken when the cinematics cut to a black screen or cut to a frame with dramatically reduced resolution or detail before giving control over. I think that, along with the more cinematic focus of the story and QTE stuff can make it interesting.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shame it's going to be the first big "disappointment" of 2015 not that it looked half decent to me in the first place....

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By monkeyking1969

It comes down to the story. If they tell a good story and provide serviceable characters, which they might, it will be an excellent game. We really have only seen a few areas in teh game, teh airship stuff seems to show that you will be underground, in the air, and riding through the city of London. If they don't make it to STUPIDLY weird trying to cram in steampunk references and have a decent story that game should be just fine.

This is a game that will hinge on a good story, not innovative gameplay. I mean what the fuck woudl be innovative gameplay even be, it is not some Japanese a third-person Beat'em that has to 'wow you' with backflips.

1) Can I shoot teh wolfman with an oversized steampunk shotgun? Yes, then that's just fine.
2) Will I fight horrid things in a dirigible? Yes, then we are fine.
3)Is it remotely possible this might have a cogent story? Maybe...okay, well, lets hope so because that what this needs over gameplay.

It a weird alternate timeline world with monsters what MATTERS is the story and how you can see and experience this other reality.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it's fun, I'll like it, fps be damned.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I liked the concept when they originally revealed the game, but the more I hear about this game the less interested I become.

It's a shame.

But ya, I am still on the fence. I haven't fallen off one way or the other. It could still be fun... who knows.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story is what games do worst. If they're trying to fix that than I'm right there with them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree with the sentiment that this looks like a technical showpiece rather than an interesting game. It looks great but its taken a little too long to come out to be that interesting. If the reviews are over the moon positive then I'll take another look.

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aquablak

Looks rad to me. I'm getting it.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I'd say you could handily dodge that pitfall by waiting to make a purchase. See what reviews have to say, see what the final gameplay actually looks like, etc.

Even if it turns out to be great, it doesn't strike me as a day-1 purchase.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somejerk said:
@onarum said:

A developer mentioned that if they do away with that and render every last pixel of 1920x1080p they have to cut the AA from x4 MSAA to x1 MSAA.

Then that's what they should have done. Being able to see is vital.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel said:

@somejerk said:
@onarum said:

A developer mentioned that if they do away with that and render every last pixel of 1920x1080p they have to cut the AA from x4 MSAA to x1 MSAA.

I'd rather have letterboxes that I won't even notice after the first 20 minutes than jaggy edges all over the place.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It hasn't come out yet.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain said:

It hasn't come out yet.

I think you're wrong. It appears as though a lot of people here have played it.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was tentatively interested in The Order for awhile. The original trailer made it seem alright, and it has a cool premise. However every gameplay demo and reveal has slowly but surely eroded whatever confidence I had in the title. Especially that one interview the creative director gave where they basically said "if we didn't have to make this a video game we wouldn't have". So fuck that guy.

I imagine I'll pick this up in the bargain bin five years from now when I'm desperate for something to play.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By CaptainCody

@corevi said:
@ezekiel said:

@somejerk said:
@onarum said:

I'd rather have letterboxes that I won't even notice after the first 20 minutes than jaggy edges all over the place.

People like you who care more about AA than losing half of your screen are helping kill videogames. I can only imagine the tears playing a game that came out from more than 4 years ago because of all those TERRIFYING jaggies.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mbradley1992: Let me tell you this. I love me some Gears of War. It got me to buy a 360. This game looks like Gears of War gameplay but with a different setting and I for one am all about that setting and that gameplay.

If this game just ends up being a clone of the Gears gameplay but with a steampunk victorian setting and it has a decent enough story (like gears had a decent enough story) I'll play the shit out of this game over and over.

Nothing wrong with being a Gears of War-like. Those games are legit great.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like a very lineair shooter with an actual story and some great visuals. I like to play it, but with these games I always hope there's more to it gameplay wise. That somehow we might be searching around in a building or even street with multiple buildings for items or clues or something. I guess it's more walk this very pathway and shoot when we tell you to.
People saying there are not a lot of these Gears of War type games anymore are right, but maybe there's a reason why they don't exist anymore..

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In a fit of overexcitement at having a PS4 I preordered this on amazon while I was preordering Witcher 3 and Bloodborne. Yes, I know I am what is wrong with games.

I'm not really that bothered about letterboxing or anything of that nature, but I'm realising that the only thing I was at all excited about was Jeff talking about how they were trying to have cutscenes that blended in with the gameplay in a seamless sort of a way. I'm not even sure I understood what he meant correctly now, but it certainly doesn't seem like a good reason to buy it sight unseen.

I should really cancel that preorder...

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@corevi said:

People like you who care more about AA than losing half of your screen are helping kill videogames. I can only imagine the tears playing a game that came out from more than 4 years ago because of all those TERRIFYING jaggies.

Melodramatic much? I meant for this game specifically, with it's focus of being cinematic.

I'm not really that bothered about letterboxing or anything of that nature, but I'm realising that the only thing I was at all excited about was Jeff talking about how they were trying to have cutscenes that blended in with the gameplay in a seamless sort of a way. I'm not even sure I understood what he meant correctly now, but it certainly doesn't seem like a good reason to buy it sight unseen.

It means there's no noticeable or jarring transition between gameplay and cutscene. No cut to black then cut back.

Loading Video...

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By thomasnash

@corevi: Yeah, that's what I thought it meant. I remember watching that e3 demo/trailer thing and being impressed by that, and thinking that the way it moves very quickly between cutscene and gameplay could have some interesting implications to the way that games present stories. But at the same time, very little about the rest of the game looks particularly innovative or exciting in that way. Maybe I'll decide a little closer to the time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Letterboxing in modern games should be a crime punishable by a ban from the industry. There is no justification for it that outweigh the hugely negative impact of losing screen real estate, absolutely none. I didn't even realize this game was letterboxed until now, which has turned my "maybe" into a definite "no thank you." I've hated letterboxing in every game I've played and it has never added anything to the experience. Poor Dragons Dogma.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sure dues look pretty, but I think I'll keep my powder dry until we find out if it's more than just a looker.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Just curious, but if you didn't know it was letter boxed why is it an issue now? Did you mean that the gameplay footage you've seen (assuming you've seen it) looked good and you didn't notice the letterboxing? Or you've only seen stills and didn't realize it was letterboxed? I guess what I'm trying to ask is, you thought maybe you'll get it so it must look alright and you didn't notice it was letterboxed, but now that someone has pointed it out to you, its changed your opinion on the game.

So do you not think it looks good any more or do you just hate letterboxing that much?