Is there a podcast where the crew talk about the Witcher 3 ending?

• 51 results
cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Only just got round to finishing it and HOLY SHIT I GOT THE BAD ENDING AND IT WAS GARBAGE.

Was wondering if there was a podcast where they talk about it?

I just had a look at the 2015 game of the year podcasts, but it looks like most of the crew didn't finish it by then.

If not, if people could point me in the direction of other good podcasts from rival video game websites, that would be great.

Avatar image for excitable_misunderstood_genius
Excitable_Misunderstood_Genius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

No one finished it. Maybe Vinny. Probably not.

Waypoint might talk about it somewhere. They love that stuff.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is like the one staff who largely disliked or ignored that game so nobody really finished it to have a discussion.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I'm not sure about disliked, they probably wouldn't have had it as their '2016's Old Game of the Year Award'. Yeah though, I assume most of them didn't put that many hours in, and when I say that many, I mean enough to finish the story.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most of them stopped after Bloody Baron, I think Dan got to Dandelion. It was CRIMINALLY underplayed by the staff.

I got the bad ending, too, and was furious. So I played through the last 5-6 hours of the game again to get the good ending.

TheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheBlue

There are plenty of podcasts where they complain about everyone telling them to play it, but that's about it. No one except Vinny got past the Novigrad part of the game. To be fair, it is a very long game and Vinny didn't finish it until sometime between the first and second DLCs came out.

If I recall correctly, Vinny does talk very briefly about how much he enjoyed it during the Playdates for the DLCs.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By fatalbanana

I don't remember which ending I got.

If I remember right it's left ambiguous if Ciri lives or dies then you make a sword and deliver it to a hooded figure that turns out to be Ciri. Is that an ending or does that happen for everyone? She then goes off to do witcher things and Geralt runs off with Yen.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

aaah thats a shame.

I know Danny O'Dwyer has put out a documentary on Witcher 3 recently. Can anyone point me in the direction of a possible gamespot podcast where he talks about it?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember which ending I got.

If I remember right it's left ambiguous if Ciri lives or dies then you make a sword and deliver it to a hooded figure that turns out to be Ciri. Is that an ending or does that happen for everyone? She then goes off to do witcher things and Geralt runs off with Yen.

That's arguably the 'best' ending, or at least it requires the most 'correct' dialogue options to trigger.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this game, one of my favorites maybe ever. But I don't blame anyone who quit during the Dandelion quest.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Vinny was the only one who finished it, and he didn't get around to it until sometime last year if I remember correctly. So no, I don't think there's anything like what you're looking for on this site.

I never understood their take that the Bloody Baron was the best part of the game, especially because they were just basing that off what other game press people were saying. There is some really wild ass shit that happens later on that would be a shame to miss out on.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Efesell

I think I would still agree that the Bloody Baron is probably the strongest pre-DLC event in that game though. Or at least series of events, my favorite single moment is probably Priscillas song.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Fear_the_Booboo

@trilogy: I personally never understood the opposite.

I wasn’t loving the game but pushed on because fans told me there were better quests after. Don’t take me wrong, the game has great moments, but it does peak at the Bloody Baron. If you’re not enjoying by then, it’s pretty fair to stop there, especially because what comes after (the Dandelion bit) is not great.

Maybe I missed a great sidequest and I haven’t played the DLC. Then again, I don’t think anyone in the GB crew would’ve changed their mind about the game by pushing onward.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Dan_CiTi

Vinny seemed to do most of the main game and the first expansion. Pretty much everyone else bounced off of it or didn’t like it at all besides the obvious high production value stuff.

Also I got the bad ending which was pretty funny, but I loved the game to death and the second expansion was fantastic.

heathhuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By heathhuston

The part where the ending is determined not by which colored light you chose or who lived or died, but by being a good, supportive dad, is one of the best things ever. Not to mention the round up your pals suicide mission that tops Mass Effect 2's. And the DLC.

It's actually a bit sad that there is almost a total lack of endgame or DLC discussion and analysis across most of the podcasts and outlets I follow. Even on Idle Weekends where Witcher 3 is referenced almost every episode neither Rob or Danielle has actually beaten the game. In a funny moment on a recent Gamers With Jobs podcast Rob revealed, to the shock of Sean Andrich, that he's never actually gotten past Novigrad.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Trilogy

@fear_the_booboo: Totally disagree. The Blood Baron quest was good, but it's definitely not the peak of the game. Philippa Eilhart's plots, the politics of Novigrad, the witches involvement in the late game main story missions, Geralt's adventures with Ciri's mysterious friend. I'm being pretty vague here but FUCK that stuff is so good. Even the side quests where smaller more personal stories were so strong and worth seeing. I've got issues with The Witcher 3, but story wasn't one of them. Personally, while the Dandelion stuff did drag a bit, it never made me want to quit the game. It's a shame that some people felt that way because hot damn this game is so good. There's nothing wrong with you not liking the game, but we're just obviously going to differ in recommending it to other people.

Also, keep in mind that the consensus about the Witcher 3 from GB was that they liked it. They did put it on their top 10, they just didn't finish it that year so they couldn't justify putting it higher than they did, which is fair. Vinny, being the only one that went on to finish it the following year, had pretty much nothing but nice things to say on the beast cast when it would come up, so I could see Brad/Dan/Alex possibly feeling similar if they got around to it since they were pretty high on it. E3 tends to break up the flow on the games these people play. It happened to Dan this year with Prey I believe? Same thing happened to Brad with The Witcher 3.

Whatever, none of that stuff is really important. That's a bummer that you didn't enjoy it, though. It's one of my favorite single player games in some time. I'm still waiting for a big sweeping single player game to consume my attention up the way The Witcher 3 did.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

They missed out on most of the greatest game of all time.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm pretty sure Vinny finished the game, and I seem to remember Alex saying somewhere that he eventually did get to the end, but I could be completely wrong on that last one.

Nobody else finished it. Dan gave a pretty heroic effort, but the material just is not his thing at all and he dropped off around Novigrad. I also nearly dropped the game without ever going back around the Novigrad segment, too - there's a whole lot of not-interesting chasing Dandelion. I'd rather have found Dandelion after a mission or two and then had the game wrap me up in Novigrad's underground crime world.

Xdeser2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Xdeser2
@trilogy said:

I never understood their take that the Bloody Baron was the best part of the game, especially because they were just basing that off what other game press people were saying. There is some really wild ass shit that happens later on that would be a shame to miss out on.

There's a mentality that they get into where they just listen to the discourse around something and decide they know what they're talking about, which is fine (I totally get it, you're inundated with video games 24/7 nearly 365 days a year its hard to play everything, especially a long ass game like the Witcher 3), but it can get annoying from time to time and leads to them not really giving something a chance. But hey, when they're indifferent to it they're indifferent to it. No accounting for taste.

Missing out on Ciri though I think is a cardinal sin. She's a great character, and if any of them finished the game, I think she would have been an easy shoe in for best character of 2015.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think anybody finished it on staff? Which is really a rather large shame considering Witcher 3 is widely considered by many to be towards the pinnical of RPGs.

Picky_Bugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cmblasko: I'm sure Vinny got further it's just that he doesn't talk about it. I can't blame them for not wanting to do the Dandelion stuff, it was horrendous. It wouldn't have been half as bad mind if all the drawn out boring bollocks was in aid of meeting a good character but Dandelion, bugger off. He's the Witchers equivalent of Bowers Jr. i.e. the worst character in literature.

I'm actually re-downloading TW3 on Steam now. I fell off after Skellige because I moved house. Steam has the GOTY edition for super cheap.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, maybe we just didn't badger them repeatedly enough to all play it the way through!

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think one of the reasons for why I didn’t finish the game was the Vinny mentality ”I can’t just jump straight into the trilogy conclusion, I have to play the previous games first!”, because I wouldn’t start the Uncharted series from the fourth game either.

I guess this really wasn’t a problem for most, because I’m sure that a lot of people who loved W3 never played the first two games. But personally I just felt like I was missing out on too much background for Geralt and the co, and the idea of reading a bunch of wiki articles to fill in the blank spots wasn’t tempting.

I did still have some fun venturing around in the beautiful world, even if I wasn’t a fan of the combat. But then I took a break which turned into a longer break and eventually I just felt like I’d have to start from the scratch if I went back to it.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah probably not. I've never seen the bad ending to the main game but I did get a pretty shit ending in "Blood and Wine" and replayed about an hour to get the good one. Thankfully there was a bunch of cool new content so I wasnt too bothered.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By Tom_omb

@cmblasko: As someone who actually finished the game I'd say they played to EXACTLY the right place to stop. I know it's not the popular opinion about The Witcher, but it felt like a slog getting to the end to me.

As for the ending the main thing I remember was cheesing the final boss real hard by rolling. As for the story, I don't remember it particularly well. I do remember Ciri should maybe just talk to her dad and it would have resolved some problems. I'm not sure if I got the bad or the good ending... probably the bad one.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The Chumps never finished this marvel!

I mean I get it, I have had it on my pc for over a year now with the intention to dive back in to do all the dlc, but I just can't for some reason.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Vinny is the only person on staff who finished it, and he did it about a year after it came out. Most of the Witcher III talk happened during GOTY including some categories like Best Moment or Sequence, Best Story, Best Character, and Best Game. Maybe you could write into the Beastcast and ask him when he gets back from vacation?

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29  Edited By Nodima

I'm on the Bloody Baron was the best side of things. I played that quest over a year and a half ago, whereas I finished the campaign and Hearts of Stone ... (pulls up trophies) ... April 14th of this year, while I first completed the Baron quest line May 25th, 2015, and on the save I've actually beaten the game on (post-a-bazillion patches) sometime around August or September 2016 if the later trophies from the game are any indication. I still remember almost every beat of that quest, from Johnny to the Botchling. It was an incredible story that made time for everyone to be a hero and a villain in that story, and let all of the characters exercise their agency in that scenario as they saw fit with just a little bit of influence from the player.

I can tell you about the broad plot points of some other quests, but I couldn't even describe most of Hearts of Stone to you in detail and it's the most recent thing I completed. The Witcher 3 has a wonderful world but there is so much of it that you start to see some of the stitching a little too clearly in the quests that follow Bloody Baron, and the way the scale of things continuously expands from the small, local stories you'd been dealing with to the fate of the universe I found myself caring less and less about the story and just wanting to get it over with. The Witcher 3 remained very good at telling stories through to the end, but for one six hour chunk it told the best short story of 2015 if not the entire half-decade, interactive or otherwise.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

The staff was too busy making stupid comments about things like the controls.

Most underrated game on Giant Bomb that year. I still don't think most RPGs are as good.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean..who on the staff is really the kind of person to sit down and main-line the latest RPG as soon as it comes out? Who on the Giant Bomb staff is their go-to "If its good I'll have beaten it or played enough of it to give you a well reasoned argument why I didn't care to finish it" when it comes to rpgs?" Who is the resident guy who will go home after work and on the week-ends and dump 60 hours over the course of 2 weeks to completing the best RPG of a given year, and then report back on it?

Anyone coming to mind? Remember, current waypoint staff don't count. ....although they might as well.

Seriously, if there is anything I've learned to live with its that giant bomb just can not seem to keep the people who share the same taste in games that I (and I assume many people given the number of people who agree with me in this thread about how good the Witcher 3 was) have.

I mean its not like they don't care about games. Its just that instead of a broad range of tastes..they all go home and play destiny. Which is great when you wanna get the entire staff together to do the raid content, but less so when you'd like to know there is at least 1 guy or gal on staff whose tastes somewhat closely align with yours.

It's just not in anyone currently on staff's wheel house. You've gotta go outside of GB to find opinions from those kinda people.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just not in anyone currently on staff's wheel house. You've gotta go outside of GB to find opinions from those kinda people.

It's kinda always been like that though. We had Dave who was the only guy who would do anything with any sort of remotely interesting games, but then he left and that fell to Drew, but now he's left. I miss Dave.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Do people count the Ladies of the Wood, Crones, as part of the Bloody Baron arc? The part when you talk to them in the painting really struck a chord with me. Ppl hyped Bloody Baron so much including GB so maybe my expectations didn't line up with it but the game has so much more to offer. Dijkstra? So good, for the most part.

My favorite though is Hearts of Stone, Olgierd von Everec.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every now and then there's a great game that they all seem to dislike or be indifferent to. I think only Vinny liked Witcher 3, I don't think any of them liked The Last of Us that much.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

The part where the ending is determined not by which colored light you chose or who lived or died, but by being a good, supportive dad, is one of the best things ever. Not to mention the round up your pals suicide mission that tops Mass Effect 2's. And the DLC.

It's actually a bit sad that there is almost a total lack of endgame or DLC discussion and analysis across most of the podcasts and outlets I follow. Even on Idle Weekends where Witcher 3 is referenced almost every episode neither Rob or Danielle has actually beaten the game. In a funny moment on a recent Gamers With Jobs podcast Rob revealed, to the shock of Sean Andrich, that he's never actually gotten past Novigrad.

I thought I was being a good, supportive dad by letting her do it by herself and being there for her if she failed, I didn't think I'd get the worst ending for it hah.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm reliving my time with the Withcer 3 through all of you... holy fuck it was good.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By liquiddragon

@deathstriker: What makes you think they didn't like The Last of Us?

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I remember them saying on the Bombcast. The gameplay/gunplay didn't click with a few of them.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do people count the Ladies of the Wood, Crones, as part of the Bloody Baron arc? The part when you talk to them in the painting really struck a chord with me. Ppl hyped Bloody Baron so much including GB so maybe my expectations didn't line up with it but the game has so much more to offer.

Considering those storylines tie together and climax as one (hot), I'm gonna say people just mean the first act of the game when they talk about the Bloody Baron stuff. The early game quests with the Crones were amazing, felt totally different from a lot of other games with legitimately threatening characters, and I'd still shorthand refer to their parts as "the Bloody Baron stuff".

I definitely finished the game and couldn't tell you a single thing that happened after that first act, other than I didn't think any of the returning/established characters were close to interesting compared to the early ones and losing a lot of steam on the story. Also the part where I really wish it was easier to boat around in Skellige, because exploring that place is such a hassle, but could've been incredible.

yabbering_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me the content in the two expansions trumped everything from the main game (especially Blood & Wine). If your feeling disappointed by the ending of the main game, and haven't finished the expansions, your missing out on something truly special that will take the sour taste out of your mouth.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam said:

Guys, maybe we just didn't badger them repeatedly enough to all play it the way through!

Brad called this sort of statement out in an email section - not that someone needs to defend their right to not play something but that's apparently a thing nowadays, so well done on that.

The short version if no one remembers or heard it is that the majority of staff didn't enjoy playing it, so didn't see it through to the end. That's it. About the only person who would have is Vinny, but he is always putting out fires and his time for a 70+ hour campaign is limited.

Don't forget that Wild Hunt went through several patches in its initial months alone, bringing fixes to all sorts of issues such as the weird inertia on Geralt's movement and the friggin inventory system being a nightmare. Those two things alone crippled the staff's perception of the game right out of the gate.

Your sarcasam radar is malfunctioning.

superjop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon said:

From what I remember them saying on the Bombcast. The gameplay/gunplay didn't click with a few of them.

The Last of Us won GotY... They liked that game plenty! Except for Jeff, but Jeff doesn't like a lot of good games, so...

Fezrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Rorie beat the game? Seems like something that'd be in his wheelhouse. Not that he's on the GOTY podcasts, but maybe he wrote/talked about it somewhere?

As for the Bloody Baron stuff, I thought it was really good, but not quite the best moment. For me, it was the sequence of gathering up all your allies and defending Kaer Morhen. Because of how I'd played, I had a ton of allies, and it really felt like the climax to an epic tale; tying together all the threads. My only issue was that I thought that should've been the ending, maybe with one follow-up sequence a few other plots. The fact that the game went on for quite a while after that was kinda disappointing, and the actual final battle, while really cool as well, seemed repetitive.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one finished it, they just gave it 10th on GoTY due to knowing that it was probably the best game (but realizing that they didn't play it, a conundrum for the ages); it was a dumb, dumb situation; they should have just put Bloodborne on since that was the game they played. Witcher was the best game unquestionably but who cares if it gets 10th on a site that doesn't care about it when it already has like 500 billion GoTY awards.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gee, thanks, guys. Now I just re-downloaded TW3.

Brittinius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gee, thanks, guys. Now I just re-downloaded TW3.

Same. I'm legit going to start a new game when I get home from work today.

nuttyjawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you all need to play heart of stone as the story in that DLC was way better than any quest in the base game

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I let out a BenPack-style guffaw when I read the thread title

Howardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know Danny O'Dwyer has put out a documentary on Witcher 3 recently.

I googled this, couldn't find anything, he made a documentary about it 2 years ago, what is this 'recently' you speak of?